Jar smells.

latitude54

Le parfait jars with the double lids, one to seal and one screw top. Had kilners and all of them leaked slightly. The ones I’ve got now have never let out any smells

On 11/10/2022 at 11:53 AM, MindSoup said:

I've been getting Eerin brand ones cheap of eBay recently and they're as good as any others I've used. 

I was just preparing tomorrows Blunt and noticed I also have some of their jars lol , I bought the smaller ones so I don’t have to keep opening the big jars while curing.

large.20221012_215638.jpg

I agree they work just as good, I got these ones from Home Bargins and are very cheap, just a shame my store always seems to be out of stock of the bigger sizes, someone probably buying them all up and reselling them on Fleabay lol

• Like 4

You need to replace the seals very often with the clip tops as they dry out and firm off.

If you get a new pack and feel them they should be soft and squidgy, compare the touch of them with the older seals on your jars then you'll realise why they aren't sealing so well.

Don't buy the Tala seals, "genuine" Kilner seem to be made of a longer lasting material.

Screw tops are my preference and I have them to decant in to I just wish they made the bigger jars with them.

The Bormioli Rocco jars (5L) are very good the clasp is strong and the white seals that come with them are a bit thicker than the Kilners.

• Like 4

I like the screw tops and kilner’s but also if you don’t close them properly  (kilners) the glass can splinter/break were the hinge meets the lip

Im looking for amber glass now..

4 hours ago, blerie420 said:

@OldFord was just gonna say the range had some great ones... got mine a good 4 years ago now still spot on

I love 'em :yep:     I use the 2 ltrs for initial cure to provide extra air space then drop down to the relevant sizes.    

Never had an issues but do replace the seals every season ..... silicon mouse mats cut to fit work wonders if you dont want to buy seals :B):

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Le parfait are far superior to the Kilner jars imo. The Le Parfait have a sharper edge on the rim ^ that "bites" into the rubber seal better. The Kilner is more rounded over and compresses on the seal less. Whenever i catch a whiff when i shouldn't it's always the Kilner. 

Not sure if already mentioned, but if you coat/soak a cacked up or old seal and leave for a bit it's not only easy to clean but also rejuvenates the rubber some what.

I have found the screw tops jars, while a decent seal, can weld themselves shut after a while.