Jar smells.

latitude54

I bought a 1l jar with a swing top lid to cure my buds in but have noticed that the cupboard the jar is in smells of weed now, meaning that the jar isn’t fully airtight. 

Is this going to be a problem? the rubber gasket seems to be seated ok, so I’m not really sure what I can do, other than try a different jar? 

Definitely something wrong with your jar. I use the Kilner type swing top with the over centre catch. No small at all. 

Clean the seal & smear a tiny trace of Vaseline over the seal. 

If it's only a single jar then get a replacement as well just in case. 

• Like 2

Does it have the rubber gasket? iv used an old one before and im not 100% sure the rubber isnt porus to some degree perhaps they age? give the gasket a wiff 

used the exact same jar when i was younger living at the rents and stunk my room out with some very loud cheeselol

Depends if you can live with the smell or not or if its a security issue, i use the large Douwe Egberts coffee jars and i cant smell anything, find them very good. i dont have the best nose however and they are not the loudest strains i have stored. results may vary lol

Edited by Bobcharlieeeee
  • Like 2

@Bobcharlieeeee It's not particularly smelly but being stored in the kitchen it probably isn't great if people come over. 

Is there any risk to the bud not curing in a fully airtight environment? 

@Bobcharlieeeee That made for a really useful read! thank you. :skin_up:

I already own a vac packer so can seal stuff up for long term storage once it's cured. And will look at some of the recommended jar alternatives for future curing. 

• Like 1

Get screwed tops only, them swing tops are very hit and miss, while your jar ain't air tight it will hinder your cure and lose all your terps.

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Military Grade said:

Get screwed tops only, them swing tops are very hit and miss, while your jar ain't air tight it will hinder your cure and lose all your terps.

Looks like I'm off shopping this morning then! 

• Like 1

Once it's dry you can just vac pac it. A mate of mine came over with some really nice weed, I asked what it was, turns out it was one of mine but he'd just left it in the vacuum packed bag. So that's what I do now once they're dry. Beats a jar any day imo.

• Like 3

It's a good idea to either lightly oil (apply with some kitchen paper) or as previously mentioned, a very light greasing with vaseline. Helps keep the rubber in good nick and apparently aids a little with sealing.

Probably been said, but use Kilner jars and not the cheaper versions. I've wasted loads of money on cheaper ones for the seals to fail. All my actual Kilner jars though are still going strong after multiple years of use.

• Like 1

I much prefer the screw tops with the 2 part lids. Kilner make them as well as a brand called Ball both good quality and totally smell proof. I've been getting Eerin brand ones cheap of eBay recently and they're as good as any others I've used. 

• Like 3

Kilners for the win :yep:    Clip tops  , you can replace the gaskets & adjust the lock mechanism.    Dropped numerous times and unbroken lol   

The Range had the cheapest i have seen  & Dunelms did have a deal on 2 ltr kilners

• Like 3