how often do you feed??????

RUFUS HOUND

@Crow River nah mate, they are all ages. the ones at rear are kush at 7/8 weeks,  the front Joshua are only 4 weeks, trying to keep the production line going - 3 mac and crack joining them today.

on 20/4 and getting about 50-55 DLI so should in theory be fine as getting enough light 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

These days, there's a shift in the way bagged compost makers formulate their mixes.

They're moving away from peat based mixes and instead are using rotted tree bark, coco and shredded / rooted wood fiber and other standard rotted veg matter.

Before this, bags of compost would happily supply plants (both legit and otherwise) with enough feed to get them off to a good start, usually for anywhere from 3 weeks to 6 weeks.

But, as someone else said, the plants leaves will tell you if they are struggling with low feed.

I start a low feed in passive hydro of about 1.0, then increase gradually to 2.0 and then towards the end, start lowering back to normal tap water levels, about 0.7.  Together with the feed, i add a cheeky spoonful of Epsom salts (mag) at every refill of a reservoir, brings the ec up a little, but not much. I tried out a new feed this year, Hydrosol...it was cheap and a few people said they had good results with it, but after trying it, i wasn't impressed. I get much better results using Chempak No. 3 for veg and Chempak No. 4 for bloom. Consistent results for me. Again though, i do supplement with a little mag added to a res, occasional pk booster (but not religious about it!) and start lowering EC towards the end of a grow.

Be careful though, what can look like a Mag deficiency can be confused with your PH being way out of wack. If you start seeing yellowing of leaf edges and tips, the first thing to do is check the PH of your feed / water, it's probably too high (6.4 - 7.4 are what mine were with the yellow leaf edges, once corrected down to 6.0, no more yellow leaf edges and tips. The PH will stop the roots getting a lot of the micro and trace nutes from the feed, causing the leaf problems, once sorted out, the plants can get what they need from the feed.

• Like 1

How do you alter the ph in the water from the tap? I had an issue where I was watering with tap water, and the ph in the soil dropped (due to the water I assume) also, I have a pond, wouldnt pond water be better ? 

Anything acidic will bring down ph. vinegar, lime, lemon juice, bicarb to increase pH 

my current grow first time using soil (only my second and it's turned into a disaster but not due to feed). i started them out in jiffy plugs with plain and very soft water for a week. popped them into tiny wee mulch pots filled with biobizz light mix with plain water for another week. then i planted those pots into biobizz all mix with a few organic slow release pellets near the bottom and again fed plain water for just under 4 weeks before introducing liquid fertilizer middle of week 6. was cautious at first only feeding 0.9ec every second watering week 6-7 but now feeding 3ml/L (canna a+b, hydro nutes) every time, even stupidly hit them with some pk13/14 far too early. went up to 2.2ec a few days ago after messing up the measurement week 10 which was kind of a mistake meant to be 1.8ec. strain is nl auto. no real deficiency or toxicity during this time, few millimeter burnt tips but had explosive growth, too much growth. hope that helps.

Edited by Consul

On 03/07/2023 at 2:18 AM, Military Grade said:

Lime is an alkaline material

I meant a lime fruit not the mineral 

• Like 1