Make Your Own Decarbed Capsules Using A DIY Decarbox.

Pepe Ramon

Hi everyone,

I made some more capsules yesterday using a slightly different technique to what I usually do and the results are far superior.

I looked into buying one of the Magic Butter decarboxes but I thought they were over-priced, so I thought I'd try and make my own, or something very similar.

Firstly I bought a thermometer that has a plug in probe that actually goes in the oven, it's connected to the thermometer by a piece of steel cable, it's basically the same as the one you get with the Magic Butter box but the one I bought has set programmes for cooking different types of meat so it has multiple uses. It cost me 19€ from the Big River.

Then I popped into town and bought a small square pyrex dish, this cost me 4€.

I then weighed out 28g of last year's Sugar Black Rose, I removed most of the big stalks and put the buds into the pyrex dish, 28g seems just about the right amount for this size dish, there was just enough room for one layer of buds.

large.IMG_4693.jpglarge.IMG_4694.jpg

During this time the oven was on and warming up, I had it set to 120C. I put the newly bought probe into the oven and despite the oven telling me it had not yet reached 120C, my new thermometer was telling me the oven was at 137C, so I have now discovered that my oven burns hot.

Anyway I opened the door and lowered the temp until it went back down to 120C and then I put dish with the weed in it into the oven. I used 3 separate layers of cooking foil to make a lid and pocked a small hole in it and pushed the probe into the box.

large.IMG_4696.jpg

Normally I would just give the weed 40 minutes in the oven and I would take it out assuming it was properly decarbed.

This time I waited for the temp inside the box to reach 120C BEFORE starting my 40 minute count. This took nearly 20 minutes, I put the box in the oven at 12.08, waited for the correct temperature to be reached and then decarbed for 40 minutes, I took the box out of the oven at 13.04 so 56 minutes in the oven in total.

I stayed in the kitchen the whole time as I constantly had to make slight adjustments to keep the temp at 120C, I opened the door now and again but it wasn't difficult to manage.

large.IMG_4700.jpglarge.IMG_4703.jpg

The temperature on the left (120C) is the actual oven temperature, the number on the right (124C) is the temperature at which an alarm will sound which I set myself.

After the required time, I took the box out of the oven and let it sit with the lid still on to cool.

After it'd cooled I then further de-stalked it all and took out any seeds that were in the buds.

large.IMG_4705.jpglarge.IMG_4706.jpglarge.IMG_4707.jpglarge.IMG_4708.jpg

It's then ready to encapsulate. 

I have a Size 0 capsule making machine and it makes 100 capsules at a time and it's extremely easy to use. The machines are available in all different sizes and the empty capsules are cheap. 

large.IMG_4709.jpglarge.IMG_4710.jpglarge.IMG_4711.jpg

Most of the time I take 2 of these but I have taken up to 10 in one go, I wouldn't advise you do that however as I had a serious whitey, luckily I knew what was happening to me and I could cope with it. 

Taking 4, around 2 hours before bed, will guarantee you a good night's sleep. But be careful, these things do bite. Who needs edibles when you can have these bad boys?... :hippy:

• Like 27

Nice break down of decarbing and the simplicity of edible herb. I use 00 size caps and fine grind in a pestle and mortar after the vape has either given me the flavour hits or has simply been used as a mini decarb machine leaving the heat to do it’s thing for a few minutes. I aim for light brown to golden abv powder and find the finer this is the better and for a quicker come up, empty the contents of the capsule and eat loose with a square of chocolate chewed for a long time:eat:

• Like 6

Im  gonna have to get one of those cap holders /filling machines, just done a load of 0's before reading this, painstaking without one :yinyang:

• Like 3

I got a 00 capsule filler from The River for shroom powder. They are about £20 and really worth the money, I think. They work well and 90% of the time they work 100% of the time.

• Like 9

@Keye Like you, I time my flower from when the IR thermometer tells me it's about 120c then I time it for the decarb. Until the elements that have a boiling point less than the decarb temp have evaporated, the target temp will not be reached. I find this warming up period can take a while, then when the water and other lower temp stuff has boiled off, then it can rise quickly after that. I'm currently playing with mixing a bit of warmed coconut oil/lecithin... enough to soak in but still dry enough to handle and and encapsulate. I find I don't need to take any other oily/fatty stuff to get it absorbable.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

I find I don't need to take any other oily/fatty stuff to get it absorbable.

This is why I like the capsules, no extra oil, sugar, flour etc that you'd get with edibles, all you need is what is in the capsule.  :hippy:

• Like 6

I forgot to mention, I put any seeds that I find into my muesli. You get fantastic burst of toasted weedy flavour from them when they are crunched.  :hippy:

• Like 9

On 9/19/2022 at 3:29 PM, Arbre Medicinal said:

large.IMG_4696.jpg

What a brilliant thread!

I would for sure have had to clean my oven really well to have it looking like yours!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nice thread, nicely explained! :) 

E2A - would the decarbed weed go even further if you powdered it prior to capping? Increased surface area and all that?

Edited by Hashslag
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Goodbloke said:

I put mine through a coffee grinder. 

Yeah, I just did that. As a result I ended up giving all my AVB stash to my brother, but I guess if it helps him out, it's worth it :)

• Like 5