Old man rediscovers weed

The Khasi of Kalabar

Hi everyone.  I'm a 67 year old alky pensioner with cancer and other mental and physical health problems.  Thought I'd get that out of the way first, though realise I'm not exactly selling myself!

My weed smoking days were primarily the early 70s.  Even had a criminal record for possession I picked up in 72.  In the late 70s booze became my drug of choice and increasingly heavy use eventually became addiction.  I've thought about weed for a long time as maybe something would help with my health problems, and also help me cut back on drink which was getting out of control.  Trouble is that although I'm aware of heavy use in the part of London I live in, I didn't much fancy approaching the dead-eyed tracksuit wearing yoof to make a purchase.

Then I found a way to buy on the net and I've been like a kid in a candy store since.  I bought myself a herb vape as I knew smoking would result in me bringing up a lung.  I've vaped some old school Thai landrace weed, and some Stardawg.  Both been nice, but it does take a long while for me to feel the full effect.  Well over an hour.  Don't know if maybe I have some high natural resistance/tolerance, but I shall persevere! 

• Like 17

Since I started growing my own, I vape a lot more weed. It has really helped me cut down on booze. I still like a tipple, but very low to moderate intake these days. Find I don't need so much because the ganja is taking care of most of my needs. 

• Like 11

have always loved a smoke and was a heavy drinker from the age of 16... 40 years give or take ....drank to blackout every day for the last 10 or so years of that particular car crash

without a doubt the 2 best things I have done for myself (notwithstanding marrying the chairwoman :wink_kiss:) was growing my own and stopping drinking.

good luck with your journey @The Khasi of Kalabar if you decide you want to do either of those 2 things also, you'll find plenty of support here.

Edited by Chairman O The Bored
more info
  • Like 11

I burned my entire life and quite burnin at the age of 57..started at 14 and never looked back,,,,

Im back at it :) Thankfully so too ;)

I was a good two years worth but...I do indeed like burnin... :)

At least we can grow it legally now which makes it far cheaper....buyin from Government places is sheer poison! :furious:

It's FAR from anything good about your health. (yes that's sarcasm eh )

• Like 4

Plenty of pissheads too!

I find edibles help me cut down my alcohol consumption massively. Basically just cook your weed in the oven for 30mins ate 120c and then eat a small amount. I put mine in capsules but you could just sprinkle a small amount into a yogurt or something. About 0.25g should put you on another planet for a bit. It does take awhile to kick in so don't go and eat some more thinking it hasn't worked.

Good luck with it, I know what a demon the booze is :( 

• Like 8

Getting dry mouth after a blast of a pipe cuts the beer out for me. I don't mind that. The days of drinking a shit load of alcohol are over. The hangovers are 3+ days long. 

I get the munchies more after a pipe. I'm not a daily, heaver smoker. I maybe have the odd pipe Friday and Saturday night that's it. 

Looking more at the CBD strains with little THC in them. Had anxiety issues before but I have been  brand new recently. Maybe cutting out the binge drinking and not going to the pub has helped me. Feel fresher for the week for sure.

@The Khasi of Kalabar if you ever go down the route of growing your own herb, this is a great community for help. 

All the best to you.

• Like 9

Welcome @The Khasi of Kalabar, I'm getting on a bit too.

I've had problem on and off the alcohol most of my adult life also; It's an evil drug. Thankfully it's under control thee days.

Bee a weed smoker all my life as well. These days I no longer smoke weed but I make Malawi style fermented cobs from my weed and eat a little of that and it keeps me high for many hour's. 

If and when you start growing your own then it's well worth having a little read about cobs; They're a game changer.

• Like 6

On 18/09/2022 at 9:27 PM, The Khasi of Kalabar said:

I've vaped some old school Thai landrace weed, and some Stardawg.  Both been nice, but it does take a long while for me to feel the full effect.  Well over an hour.  Don't know if maybe I have some high natural resistance/tolerance, but I shall persevere! 

Aye up or as we say around my part "awwright me luver"

I've toyed with how to write this down as i dont want to come across as anything but sincere with my thoughts....

So being who i am i have plumped for the direct approach :-)

If you are having a smoke after you have had a drink, then the effect will take ages to feel, if at all

Not, in my opinion, due to any resistance to it, but the fact the Erb has spent the last hour battling and counteracting the effects of any booze you just had, or is just in your system

Maybe you need a goal or a target, like completely replace any drink you would have in a day with a hit on your vape

I'll have a tenner that without drink in your system the effect of the weed will show itself to you without being hindered and waylaid

In my 40 years of experience smoking the Erb i have nlearnt that drinking and wanting to enjoy the weed just doesnt go together...

Good luck though with everything

• Like 3