Carbon filter done in 6months?

Bobcharlieeeee

So i have been using a Rhino Hobby carbon filter, 150x300mm version, and iv started to notice slight smell getting past.

I have been using this for 6 months, and i flipped it around after 3 months. this was a very cheap filter so i wasnt expecting much, but if im honest i was expecting to get another few months out of it atleast,

I have checked all connections and im 99% confident there are no leaks. its been fine upto this point.

I have removed the prefilter as that was very dirty but that hasnt helped so i take it time for a new one? 

Few questions

1. My intake is from an area that is abit dusty, does anyone here run a prefilter on there intake? if so what options do i have? or should the prefilter on the carbon filter be enough?
  2. Im planning to upgrade to a Rhino Pro 150x300mm, how long should i expect to get out of this? £106 for the Rhino pro vs £35.00 for the Hobby version. based on 6months life span for the Hobby, id need to get over 18months from the Pro to make it worth while. 

@grower951 im going to my local shop tomorrow morning mate, just wanted an idea if the Pro is worth getting rather than the Hobby  

Edited by Bobcharlieeeee

I've had a pro last 3yrs before now. 

The hobby filters are only rated at 6-9months brand-new aren't they? 

I haven't read the blurb recently but I vaguely remember summat like that.. 

Anything with the words "hobby" or "budget" in there description is probably best swerved tbh.  If the manufacturer themselves is telling you it's crap then it's fair to assume it's gonna be crap like :yep:

• Like 5

See if your shop can get you a mountain air filter I used rhino filters for ages but then they went to shit (imho) mountain air should last a fair bit longer than the rhino as well

• Like 4

Yeah I wouldn't bother with rhino filters, just for the peace of mind it's worth stumping for a carbo air or MountainAir.

:yinyang:

• Like 3

@Dodgee Yes! i wasnt expecting much, and re reading there site it says 9-12months, thats probably best case senario and im probably over doing it with a 300mm filter 

@baked bean @BilgePump Think it will be more of a case of what ever they have in stock at the time! Hopefully the ones you mention.

Any others i should avoid? If they dont have carboair or mountain air in stock 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BilgePump said:

Yeah I wouldn't bother with rhino filters, just for the peace of mind it's worth stumping for a carbo air or MountainAir.

:yinyang:

I agree with the Mountain Air being far superior

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/09/2022 at 2:47 PM, Bobcharlieeeee said:

So i have been using a Rhino Hobby carbon filter, 150x300mm version, and iv started to notice slight smell getting past.

some can call bullshit on this one but here’s what I’m using. 

450m3/h fan (used to be RVK150 but it crapped out after 9 years so now run a Vents VK)

sms smart fan controller 

Rhino Pro 900m3/h. 150x600 - purchased in 2013, yes you read that right and it’s not a typo!!!!

i have 2 pre filters that I wash and change over every new grow. 

a lot of people on another site have told me that Rhino have changed something with their carbon (im not too sure) but running this with my area and the fan speed controller has really helped the longevity. 

you can go to my exhaust and smell nothing but air. No plant smell or canna smell AT ALL. 

This is the only explanation I have as to why it’s lasted so long because even if my fan ran at 100% all the time it’s at max only pulling 450m3/h over the bed anyway and more often than not my fan runs on minimum, even more so now I’m using LED. 

large.52479614-8378-416D-8E59-03735731945B.jpeglarge.8FCBA251-8516-476D-880E-985E9F1D1DD8.jpeg

Edited by JonDaMon
  • Like 1