Fort knox - first groom attempt

SleepyTItan

Hello there ,I’ve introduced myself in the new members section so now it’s time to get started.

this is my first proper attempt at a grow but I’ve been reading about the subject for as long as I can remember ,nowadays my smoking consists of a nice joint before bed to help me sleep otherwise I’m climbing the walls! I’ll occasionally have a sesh with my little brother but they are few and far between as I can’t handle them as well as I used to! 

the build has already started so I’ll lay out my plans and post pictures tonight.

basically I have an old brick coal shed in my garden which is conjoined onto next doors brick outhouse ,I’ve already built a raised floor with joists and floor boards and studded out ,insulated with fibreglass quilt and chip boarded over.

my plan now is to build a timber box inside this that will consist of 50mm sound proof dense insulation and plasterboard ,I will then put my tent up inside this box with an access hatch and enough room to move around 2 sides of the tent.

the gear I have bought so far consists of :

tent - 1.2 x 1.2 x 1.8

1x 600 hps 

1 x 600w blue

1x 600w red 

6 inch fan for outgoing side 

10inch carbon filter with reducer to 6 inch 
hydrometer

ph pen (need to calibrate)

ratchet straps for hanging

timer for light 

there’s still quite a bit to buy but I’ll update on new goodies,looking for a decent fan controller at min to help with setting temps.

My eventual aim is to provide a fully insulated (noise/heat) environment for my tent to start in and then I will work from there on getting the temps how I want them .

im hoping to have it completed in a couple of weeks but as always money is tight and I got kids to feed haha.

I’ll post a pic tonight of how far I am so far but to be honest it’s not much to look at yet.also fully aware that my next door neighbour is a nobhead so I have to make this as stealth as poss hence the over engineering of the box! 

cheers guys.

• Like 2

Hey bud,

Interesting build.
What made you decide to build a box and then put a tent inside it? Usually people do one or the other. If you build yourself an insulated frame, then chucking a tent inside it really isn't adding much benefit.

What grow medium are you going for and what sort of plants? I imagine growing outside you'll probably be tempted by autos to try and help with the heating?

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, SkyRider said:

Hey bud,

Interesting build.
What made you decide to build a box and then put a tent inside it? Usually people do one or the other. If you build yourself an insulated frame, then chucking a tent inside it really isn't adding much benefit.

What grow medium are you going for and what sort of plants? I imagine growing outside you'll probably be tempted by autos to try and help with the heating?

Im para as fuck about noise pollution ,I turned the 6 inch fan on the other day and it sounded like a jet liner taking off! it wouldn’t be as bad if my neighbours outhouse wasn’t conjoined,hence fort knox ,my aim is to make it as inconspicuous as possible,adding further insulation will dampen noise and completely kill any heat signatures that may find there way out of the tent.

it’s just an insurance policy really because my neighbour is basically Ned flanders and always wants to know what I’m up to when I’m pottering about the garden.

luckily the shed I use I’ve been smoking in for years so people are used to me being in and out on a night so that shouldn’t be a problem.

I’ll be growing 6 plants in coco 20l fabric pots,and adding nutrients as I go,I’ve yet to come up with a schedule for what and when I’m feeding but that will come once I’ve got the room fully up and running.

• Like 4

You could Box your fan ,rap it in cling and fill box with builders spray foam insulation (Look up Leapy box fan on here):yinyang:

Also there are  silencers you can fit inline if its the air noise rather than the fan itself atb

Edited by Personunknown

Guest anarchycamp

Is it not a ton louder having a massive filter but undersized fan?

Get yourself an EC fan(if you haven't already)at least 8" and run it low

I swapped some normal ducting out for some Phonic trap ducting, this helped alot to reduce noise from the outlet outside so something to consider further. Every little helps hahah

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Personunknown said:

You could Box your fan ,rap it in cling and fill box with builders spray foam insulation (Look up Leapy box fan on here):yinyang:

Also there are  silencers you can fit inline if its the air noise rather than the fan itself atb

move seen this done before on Reddit maybe,might be worth a try if my rooms too loud!

1 minute ago, Bobcharlieeeee said:

I swapped some normal ducting out for some Phonic trap ducting, this helped alot to reduce noise from the outlet outside so something to consider further. Every little helps hahah

I have proper aluminium double insulated ducting so we hat should be fine.

• Like 1

@SleepyTItan i think the aluminium stuff is for heat insulation rather than noise. the phonic trap is not smooth inside, it is a sort of non woven geotextile, kinda like an exhaust baffle. 

This wont sort the noise inside the room, but will help if anyone is stood by the extract point 

Edited by Bobcharlieeeee
  • Like 2

Tbh lads for peace of mind id rather build another box inside my room to place the tent,ultra over the top maybe but will keep my mind from rubbing away with itself ha 

I have a ten inch filter because it was gifted to me many years ago and I’ve kept it in the box under my bed since,if it’s too much I’ll downgrade to a 6inch before I start my run.

our lass has just text me and I’ve had 9 seeds delivered by RQS today so I’ve to pick my strains from the selection,can’t even remember what I ordered now it’s been that long but there all fems

Just now, Bobcharlieeeee said:

@SleepyTItan i think the aluminium stuff is for heat insulation rather than noise. the phonic trap is not smooth inside, it is a sort of non woven geotextile, kinda like an exhaust baffle. 

This wont sort the noise inside the room, but will help if anyone is stood by the extract point 

I’ll look into this thanks man

• Like 1

The thing you need is to get a Fan controller. You unlikely to need the fan on full anyway, and knocking it down to 50% will make a huge difference on the noise. Make sure you get a decent one though, not cheap shit as they dont work.  something like this 

Edited by Owderb
Link removed
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

would increasing the ducting size from 6 to 8 inch help with the noise by reducing the velocity or by having a really long run of ducting?

just thinking out loud 

On 06/09/2022 at 10:41 AM, SleepyTItan said:

Hello there ,I’ve introduced myself in the new members section so now it’s time to get started.

this is my first proper attempt at a grow but I’ve been reading about the subject for as long as I can remember ,nowadays my smoking consists of a nice joint before bed to help me sleep otherwise I’m climbing the walls! I’ll occasionally have a sesh with my little brother but they are few and far between as I can’t handle them as well as I used to! 

the build has already started so I’ll lay out my plans and post pictures tonight.

basically I have an old brick coal shed in my garden which is conjoined onto next doors brick outhouse ,I’ve already built a raised floor with joists and floor boards and studded out ,insulated with fibreglass quilt and chip boarded over.

my plan now is to build a timber box inside this that will consist of 50mm sound proof dense insulation and plasterboard ,I will then put my tent up inside this box with an access hatch and enough room to move around 2 sides of the tent.

the gear I have bought so far consists of :

tent - 1.2 x 1.2 x 1.8

1x 600 hps 

1 x 600w blue

1x 600w red 

6 inch fan for outgoing side 

10inch carbon filter with reducer to 6 inch 
hydrometer

ph pen (need to calibrate)

ratchet straps for hanging

timer for light 

there’s still quite a bit to buy but I’ll update on new goodies,looking for a decent fan controller at min to help with setting temps.

My eventual aim is to provide a fully insulated (noise/heat) environment for my tent to start in and then I will work from there on getting the temps how I want them .

im hoping to have it completed in a couple of weeks but as always money is tight and I got kids to feed haha.

I’ll post a pic tonight of how far I am so far but to be honest it’s not much to look at yet.also fully aware that my next door neighbour is a nobhead so I have to make this as stealth as poss hence the over engineering of the box! 

cheers guys.

@sleepytalan what you plan on doing for heat sheds are cold and you will need electric heating etc for the temperature and like you say a twin controller happy growing and I look forward to seeing your new room

Edited by Grow lady
  • Like 1