Accidental photoperiod grow!

A1Dan

Had a few plants growing in the garden / my little poly-greenhouse this summer, all fairly successful to varying degrees.  I always go for autos, as I'm a total amateur and want to keep things as simple as possible.  But had been wondering why, while the other plants bloomed in the sunshine, one of them stubbornly refused to, and just kept growing and growing into a huge bush which pretty much fills the greenhouse by itself.
Finally got round to checking back on what I'd bought, and realised that one was a freebie thrown in with my order from Grizzly Seedbank... "Double Grape Feminized"... so not an auto.  Duh!

So, here I am looking for any tips on how to try and get a decent yield out of the bugger!  It's been growing for about 18 weeks already, and as I say it's huge.  I'd already topped it a couple of times, so pretty spread out and bushy, but still had to cut back more off the top as it was pressing into the greenhouse roof, making the leaves burn in the sun... so definitely happy to get it flowering any time soon, it's got potential for a massive yield!

I guess we're not far off the equinox now anyway (which I think is when they are meant to naturally flower, right?), so maybe I just keep caring for it and let it do it's thing?  My worry there though is that the climate in Northern England may not be great for flowering in late September / October (another reason I always go for nice easy autos!).  

Might it be worth trying to "black out" the greenhouse to get it started?  If so:
Do I go straight in with 12 hours of dark?
Does it need to be really consistent / accurate (eg what happens if I miss a "night")?

Does it have to be really light-proof, or would a cover that just blocks out the bulk of the light be OK?

Obviously all other tips welcome!

• Like 2

Ok ,  its not the end of the world and you got a few options :yep:   

My first point is  -  you say its big & fills the greenhouse -   a big plant in a greenhouse 'with limited airflow & damp weather is asking for rot.

Light deprivation is an option ,  a straight 12 & 12 will work ,  you dont need to be strict regimented time wise ,  just regular.   leaving covers on / off by mistake is ok.     

Light leaks can effect buds & re veg issues but depends on how strong lights are.   

Has she started flowering at all ?   pre flower ?     

• Like 2

Agree with @OldFord. Would only add - top her again. If necessary cut her in half. Prune back any really tall side branches too. If she's still in veg and not flowering, she'll soon grow back, but try and keep her a bit smaller if you can.

P.S.:- I had a similar experience this summer. Seed was labelled auto, but ended up not only photoperiod, but male! Freebies, huh? :rolleyes:

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Crow River said:

Agree with @OldFord. Would only add - top her again. If necessary cut her in half. Prune back any really tall side branches too. If she's still in veg and not flowering, she'll soon grow back, but try and keep her a bit smaller if you can.

P.S.:- I had a similar experience this summer. Seed was labelled auto, but ended up not only photoperiod, but male! Freebies, huh? :rolleyes:

Surely topping  / cutting back , anything other than air flow reasons ,  is asking for headaches at this late stage in the game ?     He;s 'oop north and shes going to be a late finisher as it is ,  certainly wouldnt be delaying her in any way at this stage of the run.       By no means arguing the case :)    Just my take on it mate :yep:

• Like 2

@OldFord, not trying to argue against your advice mate. Just going by "still had to cut back more off the top as it was pressing into the greenhouse roof, making the leaves burn in the sun." Sounds like she's way too big for the space.

Anyway, up to the OP of course. Increasing airflow somehow might sort it. But it seems to me extra pruning might be needed if the plant's still not flowered...

• Like 2

@Crow River  No arguments mate  :)     just i re read it and only then did i notice him being up north.

either way ... you know the score and chances are he will either need to cut his losses & chop early or lose it sadly  ,  a trusted bushy beast outdoors up north is a challenge let alone a bushy  unknown up north  ...in a greenhouse.     May actually be better off  & netter odds just dumping in the elements ??     

• Like 2

Thanks guys... as far as the size / airflow issues go, all too aware of that.  My first grow a couple of years back I kept in the greenhouse, zipped up, almost constantly and had no end of problems with rot.  So now I actually keep the greenhouse open as much as possible once we're past the risk of frost (not until about mid-May round here!), and largely just zip it up if and when there's a risk of prying eyes!  You're right though that the ones getting to the top are still getting a bit sweaty, as there's a "roof" area which is higher than the door goes, so will probably trim back a bit more.

Here she is, in her cramped home!:

large.20220825_131753.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, OldFord said:

Has she started flowering at all ?   pre flower ?     

Good question... it's got these growing at the nodes, which I think are kind of pre-flowers?:

large.20220822_164712.jpg

@A1Dan

If the stems are still flexible you could try bending them over and tying down...or...

...here's radical...dig a hole and drop the pot into it, that'll take it down a foot or two...:yep:

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, stu914 said:

@A1Dan

If the stems are still flexible you could try bending them over and tying down...or...

...here's radical...dig a hole and drop the pot into it, that'll take it down a foot or two...:yep:

Nice idea, but it's a stone slab patio!  (and I don't want to disturb the bodies ;-) )

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, A1Dan said:

One other question... feeding.

I've been using BioBizz Bio-Grow and Bio-Bloom, following their schedule (https://www.biobizz.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Nutrient-Schedule-EN-2020.pdf)

Obviously I'm way past the 12 weeks now... should I keep going with both?  Or maybe just the Bloom, seeing as it really doesn't need to grow any bigger?

according to the scedule.....keep feeding both untill 2 weeks before harvest......

grow does not mean they get bigger......in bloom photo plants still grow untill about week 4......but in bloom they still need some N which is in grow feeding

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 2

ps... your scedule is for indoor....

note that the first 2 weeks are vegative phase....then the light goes 12-12....and from week 3 they are in bloom..... ( flower phase )

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 2

large.20220825_131753.jpg

i would make the greenhouse more off the floor......so i would just use the greenhouse as a roof against rain....

and make as much air flow though the plant...

if you have a garage and the time......i would do light deprivation...

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 3

A pic speaks volumes :)      Its not as big or bad as i thought  mate  lol           Without offence or disrespect .....

As suggested ,   if its poss & safe  simply remove the tent and let her go.    My 1st choice

If not try raising the frame and let the air under the g/h  as Dutch Fox suggested     ,   or just jump straight into light dep and shave a week or 2 off the finishing time.   

Not seen a plastic greenhouse run end well mate ,  just moisture magnets ... droplets onto your lovely buds :( 

Poss be worth drawing the tent away from the wall  - increase air flow  & reduce any risk of heat transfer through the wall.      

I wish you the very best of luck with her and hope you get her home safe sir.        

Edited by OldFord
  • Like 3