Genuine opinions on predator mites by someone who has used them

HazyHashMan

Predator mites reduce established populations but never eliminate them. Theoretically I suppose it's possible but unlikely. Which means you have some left that you delay treatment of because you don't want to harm the predators. 

They are good as a preventative but if they are too specific you struggle to maintain a population for any meaningful length of time, more generalist predator mites are better for this as they will eat other stuff if available. This works really well for me in my notill bed but might not in a standard soil grow and almost certainly not hydro.

They are definitely very useful but also massively over hyped and misunderstood.

Chemical wise... Abamectin is a lot more effective than ivermectin. Floramite gets good reviews. Schimmel works but fuck alone knows what's in it. Avoid synthetic pyrethroids (possibly like the smoke bomb) as there is a lot of well documented evidence they increase mite reproduction rates. Neem is a good deterrent and can control small populations. Some of the pathogenic fungi work pretty well - beauvaria bassiana, verticillium lecanii etc etc

If I wasnt notill I'd probably alternate floramite and abamectin treatment for a few weeks. That'd almost certainly get rid. But they will always find a route back from the big outdoors, especially in this heat.

I use abamectin occasionally in the mum tent but no chemicals in my grow, as mites just don't get a foothold. Mostly due to predators that are now endemic I think, mites and others. So they do work. Just not the way people often think.

ETA previous posters experience of mite tubes containing sawdust and fuck all are far from isolated. And also from very well established/renowned sellers very recently. So yeah, check and beware! I can only think they are not checking stock or are selling old dead stock. Either way, cunts.

Edited by FarmerPalmersNT
  • Like 12

Tangent topic - the mites and nematodes for Fungus gnats from Dragonfli though are very effective, those little flying fuckwits were totally gone after 14days and (as I dosed the veg tent too) they havent been back since.

• Like 2

Nnematodes for Fungus gnats these worked for me as well made a big difference - didnt completely eliminate them but got them under control

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Mix said:

Regarding scarids I use Aptus soil attack liquid and it works well. 

That worked for me to but took time like i used it maybe once a week for a month and their numbers just got less and less and eventually disappeared.

It looks and smells a bit like neem doesnt it?  I suspect using a mix of various oils could work as well.

I did once try diatomaceous earth but was a fuckwith in applying it and used way too much so it just formed about an inch layer of it mixed with the top bit of compost which just stopped water getting through.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure it is neem. "Seeds from a tropical tree". Neem and soapnut or something as an emulsifier I suspect.

• Like 4

@FarmerPalmersNT Thanks for that was some much needed extras in that segment. I knew of ivermectin increasing reproductive rates but didn’t know the same for smoke bombs. Totally explains the rapid boost in population after using them. 

ive ordered some dr shimmel and floramite. Will most likely add that type of mectin you mentions and not sure if I’ll use the ivermectin if it’ll boost population but will probably be tempted to use all four in rotation.

I do think we should get a sticky thread on the go about the smoke bombs and ivermectin because they do no good at all 

I dunno about ivermectin. But here's one of a few studies:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/016788099290141W

I think the working theory is that the more sensitised/damaged the plants are the more susceptible they are to mite attack. This advantage outweighs any adverse effect the spray might have on the mites.

Given the damage many of these sprays can do to plants and leaf cuticles, sometimes unseen it's not unreasonable to suggest that many pesticides that only temporarily inhibit the mites might have a similar effect to some extent. All the more important to apply at lights out too.

• Like 1

So my fears were realised and pretty much as @FarmerPalmersNT said, they were not eradicated and i have seen some damage and eggs on some leaves in my young plants.

I have been giving a spray of Neem at 1ml /L, maybe the concentration wasn't enough.

The ingredients for the other mix arrived and I mixed as above and have just gave everything a good hose down... and will give them a few more over the coming days.

I have also ordered some abamectin and will give a dose of that if i can still see some trace which, sadly, is likely...

I'll update on the effectiveness or otherwise of the ISO Soap Spray.

I've successfully eradicated them with neem solution in the past. 

I used a pump up sprayer to apply the solution so the plants were totally saturated on all surfaces, dripping wet with it, the soil surface a quick spray and the pot sides and floor, up the wall a bit.

Everything was greasy.

I did it every 3 days for 3 weeks, the same every time like clockwork.

That was the year before last so I've been clear of them for 2 1/2 years but now got some new ones in in late flower 

I'm trying the predators.

• Like 2

What about Ozone? I've heard people talk about it working for pests/mould. Sounds pretty dangerous if you get things wrong, but in a situation like this is could be worth a go. 

• Like 1

I got some phytoseiulus from Agralan as mentioned in a different thread. They're definitely alive and active.

One other thing I tried in the past is spraying potassium silicate solution, the idea being to injure/kill the mites with the alkaline chemical while feeding the plant silica to strengthen the cell walls, make them leaves tough to eat.

I applied it too frequently and the plants got upset with an overdose of potassium but otherwise I think it helped.

On 14/08/2022 at 9:37 AM, Arthur Mix said:

Regarding scarids I use Aptus soil attack liquid and it works well. 

Just wanted to chip in and say Tanlin from CX horticulture is really good for gnats too, its made of chitin, one of the same components of ecothrive charge. The recommended dose is "1 drop" per 2L, which works but takes a while to work - a bit like how highgrower said:

On 14/08/2022 at 11:04 AM, highgrower said:

That worked for me to but took time like i used it maybe once a week for a month and their numbers just got less and less and eventually disappeared.

Maybe a month of use with every watering and they're gone. But if the infestation is bad, or we just want it gone really quick, 1 drop per litre works a treat and they disappear quick sharp, but they bounce back pretty quick if there isn't a period of maintenance dosing after we stop seeing them. 

Dunno about Spider Mite treatment necessarily as (touch wood) I have never suffered with them - but Dr Schimmels (to echo @FarmerPalmersNT who knows what its made out of - they do an "organic" version now too, that smells like soggy cardboard) has stood the test of time and continually flies off the shelf. 

Edited by GSZZ
  • Like 5