1 plant - 5ft by 5ft space - Pot size

Moonstone420

Hello all.

I have a very quick question about the Pot size for a one off coco grow.

My setup for one grow is below:

Tent size 5ft x 5ft

Lights 900w LED - Modern LED

Medium - Pure canna coco

Irrigation - 3 times a day

Pot type - Plastic Pot

Just wondering with these parameters what you feel the best pot size is. 

I ran a 70 litre (pot) single plant rockwool grow previously and the yield was great (watered only once a day), but I couldn't help but think the pot size was overly excessive.  With me now wanting to water 3 times i think i could lower the pot size by quite a bit. Is a 50 litre pot still a bit big?

Thanks for the help :) 

• Like 1

Is electricity cheaper in your neck of the woods then?  Think about the money and time (many moons) you'd save if you just grew 9 in that space. I'll follow along if you do it though. :yep:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Clubs said:

Is electricity cheaper in your neck of the woods then?  Think about the money and time (many moons) you'd save if you just grew 9 in that space. I'll follow along if you do it though. :yep:

@Clubs No not any cheaper than the next guys.

Any suggestions to the question raised? Cheers mate :) 

Guest anarchycamp

I've done a 20L pot in a 4x4 before so you can definitely go down pot size a bit.

More importantly what's the LED pull at the wall? If its different to the output you could be under lighting a 5x5 tent

I recently ran a single pot of coco in a slightly smaller space under 600W of Lumatek LEDs.

A 20l pot hand watered twice per day(once in full bloom).

Had I trained her better she'd probably have needed a third or maybe even a 4th feed per day ;) 

I've only started mucking around in coco recently,

it took me ages to give it a go,

i haven't experimented with bigger pots,

but I know a grower @Notorious B.U.D who has grown a few trees since I've been here :D 

I hadn't heard of the lights before so I did a quick check(not double checked)

If the numbers on their site are correct,

3 of these lights should produce 2652 umols.

if that is spread evenly across the canopy that would equate to 1178 ppfd

or 106 umols per square foot.

Hope this helps.

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 1

Guest anarchycamp
5 hours ago, Moonstone420 said:

@Fatboy77 @anarchycamp

Oh I meant modern day (not Blurple)  LED grow lights:

Running 3 x 312w (at the wall) Grow light science 300s.

Relatively up there in terms of spec. 

Probably get away with using 2, but that's just the leccy bill.

1 hour ago, anarchycamp said:

Probably get away with using 2, but that's just the leccy bill.

And what pot size would you suggest I use?

1 hour ago, anarchycamp said:

As @Fatboy77 said 50L should do the trick. Mine was slightly on the smaller side in a 4x4 i reckon, still worked out fine:bong:

Cheers mate. Appreciate it :) 

large.D48CDF1C-64F0-4F20-AE9E-79DF99134D05.jpeglarge.8153011E-8089-4394-BDCC-BCAE8849947B.jpeglarge.8F396160-FFB8-4B0F-A69D-4B790261358C.jpeglarge.A2DE488C-71BE-450B-970D-A57B86955B2E.jpegPot size is only relative to how often you can feed it!

I’ve grown a 3ft x 3ft critical+ in 7 litres of coco fed every 2 hours using an automated diy irrigation and a floraflex cap. 

worker well as you can see. 

under 300w Marshydro FCE3000. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 11:19 PM, Clubs said:

I am just finishing one in a big pot, 45 liters i think it is, could be bigger, I've always grown a few plants at a time.. after this i will be going back to sea of greens as they are so much quicker, easier and cheaper !! 

On 8/9/2022 at 4:45 PM, Moonstone420 said:

And what pot size would you suggest I use?

I would definitely go 9 x 6 liter pots rather than one big one, as above its quicker, cheaper and if anything goes wrong (Which it can) you still have other plants to fall back on should you loose 1 or maybe a few. good luck either way.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JonDaMon said:

large.D48CDF1C-64F0-4F20-AE9E-79DF99134D05.jpeglarge.8153011E-8089-4394-BDCC-BCAE8849947B.jpeglarge.8F396160-FFB8-4B0F-A69D-4B790261358C.jpeglarge.A2DE488C-71BE-450B-970D-A57B86955B2E.jpegPot size is only relative to how often you can feed it!

I’ve grown a 3ft x 3ft critical+ in 7 litres of coco fed every 2 hours using an automated diy irrigation and a floraflex cap. 

worker well as you can see. 

under 300w Marshydro FCE3000. 

this is a really nice looking plant, im often intrigued by LED's and really should give them a try.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Coony said:

this is a really nice looking plant, im often intrigued by LED's and really should give them a try.

light is about £280 from marshydro I think. 

i got gifted it for review while at RIU by marshydro. 

it’s the version with the Bridgelux diodes rather than the Samsung. 

im pulling around 12-17oz each run with the light regardless of 1 plant or 2 plants in this space in the scrog at current. 

it think I can improve on this as that plant was only my second venture into SCROG. 

• Like 1