80 Litre Grow pot

Oldman2.0

Hi all, i was in Lidl this evening, and came across an 80L tub for €12, says it's a plastering tub, looks really well made, and heavy duty, and i just thought, aah maybe that would make a good growing pot for growing a single photo, but said i'd check here first before buying tomorrow. The tub is 2ft in diameter, and about 14" tall. I don't know feck all about this kind of growing apart from a few bits i've read here, and i could be wrong, but would i be right in think'n, that the bigger the pot you have, as in 70/80L of soil, does that then mean there would be less feeding till further into the grow, as there is plenty of soil for the plant to use for a longer period, because the roots will take longer to fill the pot with it been so big, compared to lets say a 12L pot. Also i would have 4" around the pot at the sides in my 80 x 80 tent

I hope i explained this correct, my think'n behind this is to keep a grow as simple as possible, and hopefully only have to water for a longer period of time :thumsup:

Edited by Oldman2.0
Spacing
  • Like 2

Hey, should work fine if you drill some holes in it, around the sides and at the bottom. I've got one that's 75L and it works well.  I mixed some compost with coco and rice hulls and use a Blumat moisture meter to keep things reasonably constant. You could fit more than one plant in it though, a few with shorter veg time and you only have to water one pot.  Best of luck.

• Like 2

@ClubsGood to hear thanks, my reasoning for one plant, and i know it's a risk just having one, be easier to have 2/3/4 plants and veg quicker, i'm no rush though. Thing is, i'm just mad to have a go at a 1 plant scrog after Xmas, and practice, topping, super cropping, lollipopping, lst, etc, and try completely fill the 80 x 80 space, the inspiration comes from here, and am chomp'n at the bit, mad to get at it :yep:

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Oldman2.0 said:

@ClubsGood to hear thanks, my reasoning for one plant, and i know it's a risk just having one, be easier to have 2/3/4 plants and veg quicker, i'm no rush though. Thing is, i'm just mad to have a go at a 1 plant scrog after Xmas, and practice, topping, super cropping, lollipopping, lst, etc, and try completely fill the 80 x 80 space, the inspiration comes from here, and am chomp'n at the bit, mad to get at it :yep:

Do what makes you happy pal. It's fun either way :yep:

• Like 1

@Clubs Exactly my kinda think'n, i like yer attitude, fair play, that should certainly be first and foremost :realcool:

Edited by Oldman2.0
Spacing
  • Like 1

Be great if you got 4 months to root it out. Otherwise its just a waste. 

You want to practice... then don't limit yourself to one plant as if it goes wrong its a lot of time/money wasted. You could get 6 7ltr pots in that space or 4 10/15ltr pots. (i am in a 1x1 myself, so not much bigger) Least if you fk up you have back ups. 

• Like 4

@AngryDuck I hear ya mate, i just see things, and sometimes get mad notions, and jump the gun with excitement. 

Ya, sure i already have 4 x 13L pots, so i might as well just stick with that, and go for 4 plants first, and learn a bit, 4 months is a lot of time to root out, and then as you say all could potentially be lost with no back up, that's all grand if ya have a good stash away, and have plenty of time, I would still like to have a go sometime further on, so i'll still buy the tub tomorrow maybe, but knowing me, if the tub was there, i'd prob still go and do it, i wouldn't be able to help myself.

I'll see tomorrow if i still feel the same, :thumsup:

• Like 1

Sounds like a good candidate for a mini no till bed:skin_up:.  

My first indoor grow was a single plant, as was many others. Just don't fuck it up, its really not that hard. 

• Like 1

@MindSoupThink'n about it now, the inspiration came from your no till bed posts, with out check'n back there, i think it's 120L your using.

So ya I'm going to give it a go after my first 2 auto runs, and like'n that idea as you call it, a mini no till bed.

I'll go back, and read your no till diary again, and brush up, really then all I have to do between now, and Xmas is pick a variety with good genetics, and something that will suit our needs here, which will geared towards pain, and a buzz that allows us to still function with a happy, talkative state of mind :thumsup:

• Like 1

Mines about 40-45L mate, about as small as you'd want to go, below that you would start having some issues unless doing just a couple of really small plants at a time. 

I would highly recommend it, it seems complex to a lot of people, and tbf what's actually happening in the soil is infinitely so, but what you actually have to do/understand to be successful with it is very minimal. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

@MindSoup 

Apologies there mate, I'm tip'n in and out so many places here, I get mixed up sometimes, but I do get there eventually :yep: it's the only way personally all my life, that i'm able to learn, keep overloading the wee brain, not for everyone, but works for me. And now as I'm writing this I remember :thumsup:

You might be thinking of Farmepalmers mega bed maybe? Or one of the other no tillers all of which are probably better places for guidance than my diary lol although I'm usually good for learning what not to do or how to make things as difficult as possible for yourself lol

• Like 1

@Oldman2.0, that's a heck of a size of tub! Your single plant could get really big because it will have such a large root network. So yeah ScrOG would be the way to keep that in check. Personally haven't grown in such a large volume of soil, biggest I've used so far is 15 litre builder's buckets. Have to say though you've got me itching to head down to LiDL and see if they've got those big boys in stock... :D 

One tip if you do down this road and want to root out the tub a bit faster: use 20/4 lighting schedule for veg instead of 16/8. 

• Like 1

@Crow RiverThanks mate :yep:

Ya want to try 4/5 different methods over the first year +, and get an idea then hopefully where I want focus all the energy, and then down with the hammer, full steam ahead :thumsup:

• Like 1

@Crow River it might seem big, but in the no till world its pretty small. With no till the idea is not to fully root the container, you need some root free soil in order to allow the microbes enough area to make enough nutrients available. 

• Like 3