Concrete walled garage intake/extraction

Gaijin

I have a concrete panel walled garage that's had the door end closed off. Walls, ceiling and floor are insulated. The other end has a single door. That end and one side are connected to the house by a "sun room", I guess you'd call it. Brick walls all round but a corrugated plastic roof. A fucking sauna at the moment. 

Anyway, not far down the road, the roof is getting replaced and insulated and a little bit of an electrical upgrade - and I'll be ready to start the indoor thing :D 

I'll have an 8" and a 4" EC fan to start with, although that will go up to a 4", 6" and 8" somewhere down the road. I plan on hiring the necessary EQ to drill the 8" and 4" holes to hook up the extraction. The single door will need a little bit of work to be lightproof. 

I can't really expect all the air to enter the room via a crack at the bottom of the door. It might do it? But wouldn't it be fairly racing through the gap with a bit of a whistle as it goes? lol 

I'm thinking that if I seal up the door as well as I was planning, the garage itself will be like a tent itself, won't it? What size hole do you think I'll need to drill out for the intake? 

I'm wondering if I drilled multiple, say, 1" holes through into the sunroom with the new roof, then securely bolted a large picture to the wall to cover over the holes, maybe that would work? I don't know. Help please 

Edited by Gaijin
spelling

what about putting in a cat flap into the door? obviously abit weird if you didnt own a cat, but a good excuse to get onelol

no one would bat an eye 

Sounds similar to my set up, however iv still got the garage door in front which is abit leaky, but pretty good compared to others.

If you are intaking from the sun room wont that be too hot? 

Edited by Bobcharlieeeee
  • Like 2

you could do it all with a sds hammer drill and a couple of masonry bits dude :) draw a circle  the size you want and drill loads of holes then chisel out, get a wall plate to fit in and your done. maybe expander foam to fill any gaps

i might be inclined to put some vent holes top of the walls or in the new roof to let excess heat/moisture out in summer? 

your going to want as much insulation as you can afford to make it do able, maybe build the g-room out of insulation?

draw air from your house in winter from outside in summer (preferably from a shady/cool spot? north facing side?)

look at how people make heat sinks/traps in buildings in hot countries maybe? 

good luck dude! 

• Like 3

@Bobcharlieeeee We've got two cats. I can't think of anything worse that allowing those two furry nightmares into the grow room lollol  The sunroom will be re-rooved, so to speak, so will be as cool as the rest of the house in summer. Might even put an a/c in that room. We'll see

@twigs  I've got a hammer drill and bits - was planning on trying that for the 4" and seeing how it goes. I'm not sure how thick the concrete is ..... It's a perfect spot on the wall that gets no sun whatsoever, so should be ok for summer intake, although if gets too hot, I'll have a/c in the "sun room" and I'll intake from there. The garage is well-insulated already. It doesn't get sun until late afternoon and stays nice and cool all summer.

It's not so much what the general public will think about how I disguise the airflow; it's the fact that it's her parent's old house and her whole family know it well. I can explain away a garage that's "just full of junk and boxes" but explaining away new and obvious vents becomes tougher ....

Thanks guys :) 

• Like 2

'just full of junk and boxes' :) or 'just full of skunk and boxes' of weed' lol

Family friendly version then, mushroom vent on your new roof because the new tumble drier lives in the garage :):yep:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Head Rose'n'Tail said:

'just full of junk and boxes' :) or 'just full of skunk and boxes' of weed' lol

Family friendly version then, mushroom vent on your new roof because the new tumble drier lives in the garage :):yep:

boxes full of skunk, no entry lollol 

I might just about get away with a low profile roof vent of some description. After my brother in law puts the new roof on, he'll have no need to get up there again ....... 

• Like 1

Screwfix sell 4" and 6" diamond core bits,  if you don't mind the added expense. Least then you are only drilling once it will be a lot neater then trying to chip out a hole. 

I would also try the local tool hire shop too. Somewhere local to you should have Diamond Core Bits to rent for a day. 

• Like 2

More importantly, how big a "hole" do I need, to keep up with the extraction? 

Maybe I need two just assign the 6" fan to "air coming in" and forget about the third tent ...... 

@Gaijin put something in the way so they cant get in! Its the easiest explainable opening i can think of.

Unless you get a tumble dryer in there? 

Iv got a diesel heater in my garage that has a couple of vents going outside that i put the blame on, say youv put a heater and tumble dryer in there 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AngryDuck said:

Screwfix sell 4" and 6" diamond core bits,  if you don't mind the added expense. Least then you are only drilling once it will be a lot neater then trying to chip out a hole. 

I would also try the local tool hire shop too. Somewhere local to you should have Diamond Core Bits to rent for a day. 

That was my original plan. I might still do that - it'll be much neater than my efforts, I'm sure lol 

• Like 1

explaining away new and obvious vents becomes tougher ....

EXACTLY my situation mate!  Hoping it gets easier as the house revamps take it further away from "their old house".

"We never had any condensation..."
"We never locked that door..."
"The wonky boiler never made it THIS warm..."

"Nah that's a waste of cash, 30 odd years we didn't need bathroom extraction..."
Fighting a never ending battle with the missus on the "electric bill should not be everyone's business" front.  I put the smart meter screen in the drawer, she puts it back on the fridge.  Back in the drawer.  Fridge.

Can't help you mate but I'd love your garage!

• Like 1

Just now, Bobcharlieeeee said:

@Gaijin put something in the way so they cant get in! Its the easiest explainable opening i can think of.

Unless you get a tumble dryer in there? 

Iv got a diesel heater in my garage that has a couple of vents going outside that i put the blame on, say youv put a heater and tumble dryer in there 

I can keep them out, no problem lol I just need to know the best way to get enough air in, without anyone noticing  ...

1 minute ago, John'sMidnightGarden said:

EXACTLY my situation mate!  Hoping it gets easier as the house revamps take it further away from "their old house".

"We never had any condensation..."
"We never locked that door..."
"The wonky boiler never made it THIS warm..."

"Nah that's a waste of cash, 30 odd years we didn't need bathroom extraction..."
Fighting a never ending battle with the missus on the "electric bill should not be everyone's business" front.  I put the smart meter screen in the drawer, she puts it back on the fridge.  Back in the drawer.  Fridge.

Can't help you mate but I'd love your garage!

Oh my lollol My sister in law is already arguing with my missus about the new bathroom we're going to put in :rolleyes:  About to put her straight before it gets out of hand 

• Like 1