How long is a piece of string

latitude54

I think the answer is possibly in the title but roughly how long will Photo's veg outside before showing sex, stretching etc... 

My Green Poisons are just over 60 day's into veg and whilst growing happily, there's no obvious signs of sex yet. It's not that I'm looking out for males (the seeds were fem so no problem there), but I am getting a little nervous that we're approaching the end of July with no signs of them reaching maturity and the last thing I want is 2 plants sitting rotting in the garden come November.  

large_gp12.jpg

Edited by latitude54
  • Like 1

What’s your latitude? Is your name literal lol

your looking at them not kicking into flower until somewhere between middle - late august (and that’s being very optimistic) through to early September depending on where you are.

Edited by Cursed

@latitude54

They'll only start flowering when the natural light is 12/12. Bring them inside in the dark for 12 hours and put outside for 12 hours light. 

• Like 5

Just now, Cursed said:

What’s your latitude? Is your name literal lol

your looking at them not kicking into flower until somewhere between late august (and that’s being very optimistic) through to early September depending on where you are.

Yeah my name is literal. :yep: (couldn't think of a decent username lol). 

As stated you got a while to go yet mate  ,   you could look at light dep if you want to get them moving sooner :yep:  

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Larry Badgeley said:

Bring them inside in the dark for 12 hours and put outside for 12 hours light. 

Just now, OldFord said:

you could look at light dep if you want to get them moving sooner :yep:  

Do this, then you can make them flower when you want and when the weather is good. They're in pots so it's easy to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, latitude54 said:

I think the answer is possibly in the title but roughly how long will Photo's veg outside before showing sex, stretching etc... 

My Green Poisons are just over 60 day's into veg and whilst growing happily, there's no obvious signs of sex yet. It's not that I'm looking out for males (the seeds were fem so no problem there), but I am getting a little nervous that we're approaching the end of July with no signs of them reaching maturity and the last thing I want is 2 plants sitting rotting in the garden come November.  

large_gp12.jpg

i done these lat 53 mate was end of september for me like 25th i think for you an extra week or 2 after that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OldFord said:

As stated you got a while to go yet mate  ,   you could look at light dep if you want to get them moving sooner :yep:  

Do you use the light dep just to stun them into flower and then back outside as normal? Or once started, would you have to continue with the light dep at least until the natural light hit 12/12 too? 

Edited by Gaijin
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Gaijin said:

Do you use the light dep just to stun them into flower and then back outside as normal? Or once started, would you have to continue with the light dep at least until the natural light hit 12/12 too? 

Im pretty strict with the light dep as dont like half arsed lol       I keep light dep from start to finish as by the time im cooked out the daylight is still too long :yep: 

At this stage of the season you could do 12 & 12 until the hours reduce and then let nature take it course.      Would offer a good head start over naturl light hours and promote the odds of getting them home safely before the shitty weather window approaches.      From what im seeing in my dep run that started on the 1st Jun im still on track for the 2nd wk August as the weathers been on my side for a change.     The Black Leb is ready now and showing amber but i will keep her on for 1 more week.   

• Like 2

Are there lights nearby that interfere with the 'night cycle' of your plants?  That could be something to look into. 

• Like 1

My photos flower from the beginning of September and harvest at the end of October. These are in the ground though and not in pots. I'm Latitude 51 south coast. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old-fashioned Coughy Pot said:

Are there lights nearby that interfere with the 'night cycle' of your plants?  That could be something to look into. 

It’s hard to explain how dark it is here. I’m pretty rural and about 4-5 miles away from any street lights. so the only night lighting we get is the ambient glow of a city 7-8 miles away. 

7 hours ago, OldFord said:

If I go down that route I’m probably looking at chucking a black bin over each one at the same time each day. How do I combat stretch? They’re 3 ft tall already so it won’t take long before a 4ft bin isn’t big enough. 

there is a shed I could use for light dep.. it’s nothing like 100% light proof though. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, latitude54 said:

If I go down that route I’m probably looking at chucking a black bin over each one at the same time each day. How do I combat stretch? They’re 3 ft tall already so it won’t take long before a 4ft bin isn’t big enough. 

there is a shed I could use for light dep.. it’s nothing like 100% light proof though. 

No no and hell no mate  lol         The upturned bucket trick has been tried numerous times and ALWAYS ends badly !!   The girls will rot rapidly.

Use the shed mate ,  your rural so there shouldnt be much in the way of affecting light sources ,  the darker the better and even a small light leak may only effect one area on the plant so its not a major headache.     

Please dont use the bin method :) 

• Like 4

I think I’ve got some old carpet etc somewhere so will see what I can do I get the shed as light proof as possible. 

• Like 1