The struggle is real

CheechChongReturns

15 minutes ago, Devon Cream said:

Looks more like deer to me had a plot 2012 had quite a few like that took the trail cam down looked at the footage and was deer putting there boat races in and eating it. Never had plants go by animals burrowing up into the cages.

Definitely not deer. None in the area . These critters have got in and burrowed out .

I'm sure that it's a rat that has a taste for weed . Climbs in has a munch , freaks out when it can't climb out and digs like fuck trying to get out.

Fucking up everything until it gets out. 

I might leave some crack in the floor, see if I can get it in to harder stuff so it looses interest in my weed :smokin:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DutchFox said:

aw reaaly ?.

Yeah first time they've been a problem for me. Its due to the drought type conditions,  as my plant holes are watered and the surrounding soil is so dry.  The mole is tunnelling from hole to hole, going straight through plants root balls in the process, causing loads of damage.  

3 hours ago, DutchFox said:

your really fucked if you have this one in your garden.....red list animal...

Looks like a cool bug, don't think we have them here, probably a good thing by the sounds of it.  

4 minutes ago, Amarillo slim said:

Looks like a cool bug, don't think we have them here, probably a good thing by the sounds of it.  

yes uk has them....few...

Status (UK)[edit]

Although relatively common in many parts of mainland Europe, in the United Kingdom G. gryllotalpa is considered endangered as there have been only four confirmed sightings between 1970 and 2001.[1] It used to occur in 33 vice-counties, mainly across Southern England but also in South Wales, western Scotland and Northern Ireland. Its range has contracted and it may now be extinct. There is an action plan that aims to maintain any surviving colonies, establish a captive breeding programme and establish self-sustaining colonies throughout its former range.[3]

In 2014, a colony of mole crickets was found persisting in the New Forest.[4]

Gryllotalpa gryllotalpa - Wikipedia

the good thing is....moles eat them... :) 

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 2

Between the weather and the kids , I couldn't get down to check on the girls.

Popped down this morning and the relocated RGSCs are bouncing back, so see how they get on.large.62dd039082c7b_IMG_20220723_080230_HDR3.jpglarge.62dd038e7ed05_IMG_20220723_080242_HDR2.jpg

The two I couldn't move, but caged up further are still being attacked. 

This morning I found they'd breached my defense again. 

Must have taken them the two days to get in after trying the whole perimeter, holes everywhere with one about 12 inches deep .

They are still alive , just about, stripped to the top 2sets of leaves. 

Might put a piece of plastic pipe over them to protect the stems if them are still alive next visit.

Forgot to get some pics of these, I was busy burying bricks and stones to try and keep them out. 

• Like 3

They wont stop now till theyve muched everylast piece!

Bet the last thing that goes through your mind as your laying in bed at night just before you drift off is "wonder if they will still be there tomoz" lol

Am i right or am i right lollol

45 minutes ago, B-real said:

Bet the last thing that goes through your mind as your laying in bed at night just before you drift off is "wonder if they will still be there tomoz" lol

Am i right or am i right lollol

Mate. I know the main bunch are fine and obviously wanted to save the RGSCs , coz nobody likes to loose any girls.

If the two at the bad plot go, so be it. I gotta look at it and say"that's life" . The vermine taxed me a percentage to use their land. 

As long as the big girl plot stays safe , it's all good.

And tbh, between the cuttings, reversals and pollenation to sort and time. I can't give them anymore attention. 

That's why we always over subscribe, coz losses are inevitable. 

Anything betters a bonus 

• Like 2

On 21-7-2022 at 1:49 PM, CheechChongReturns said:

For once, I have no fucking idea

damm...im dying to know what animal that is......

what is the diameter of the holes in cm?....i think i have a suspect...

cant you get an ofline cam?...they are cheap....

maybe get some toilet blocks on the fences....they are 1 euro a pease......animals dont like strange smells...

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 1

On 22-7-2022 at 0:23 AM, Amarillo slim said:

Yeah first time they've been a problem for me. Its due to the drought type conditions,  as my plant holes are watered and the surrounding soil is so dry.  The mole is tunnelling from hole to hole, going straight through plants root balls in the process, causing loads of damage.  

(Arvicola amphibius)   latin name....i dunno the english one...( it is not a brown or black rat )

i think this is your animal....they make tunnels same as moles....and they do make lots of roots damage.....

gravende-woelrat-in-tuin-1024x768.jpg

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DutchFox said:

damm...im dying to know what animal that is......

what is the diameter of the holes in cm?....

12-15cm diameter.

There are rat and rabbit feaces around. So could be either.

That animal in your pic, we call a water vole here. Often mistaken for brown rat , however they are smaller and have a short tail in comparison to a brown rat. 

• Like 1

if your using anything bone related for nutes fox and badgers normally dig around your plants searching for them expecting a big dinosaur leg lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Exile420 said:

if your using anything bone related for nutes fox and badgers normally dig around your plants searching for them expecting a big dinosaur leg lol

Too small for either mate and the wrong angle. Plus these burrowed rather than dug.

Was gonna scrap the site after this , but had a little idea of a way to sure it right up for next season. 

I'll open it up more over autumn and make it proper rabbit proof.

• Like 1