The struggle is real

CheechChongReturns

Just now, B-real said:

Where u growing the sewers near by?

Think there may be some across the field. By some farm 

Just now, B-real said:

Cant u spray some big cat pheramone spray .

Grazers i think?

Got to be worth a try. 

I've moved a bunch of them but could have the same issue there .

See what damage is done tomorrow. 

Savage...  

Looks like hungry rabbits...  

Wire should always be with a maximum of 25mm holes (13mm is good as also hinders rodents), and minimum of 600mm high...  Just putting that out there as hard to tell from pics, but often see people using cages / wire of other sizes, in these cases the lack of damage is usually down to lack of rabbits that the protection.  

When doing a perimeter fence its good to do and L shape, that is that at the bottom of the vertical fence section, place another (of same size) wire horizontally along the ground (outwards from the vertical), using U shaped pegs to hold all in place.  This prevents them from easily tunnelling under.  Which is worth doing with this type of growing, as once they are in, they're in,, unlike cages where you just stand to loose a single plant. 

Sure got some pics somewhere showing what I mean, will have a look...

Grazers is good against deer and as secondary defence for rabbits etc but really can't beat 'mechanical' means of protection for rabbits.  Tried aluminium(iirc) deterrents, lion piss etc, plants still get munched.  

• Like 3

That hole on the first pic looks more rat than rabbit to me. If you’re doing traps, best under a makeshift tunnel of some kind so no risk of killing a bird. Also they hate peppermint and I got rid of a few from my compost heap using that. Worst case scenario, mix sugar with plaster of Paris and leave with a bowl of water. Once that’s set in them, there’ll never come back (but not nice way to go) 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, CheechChongReturns said:

That's why I'm leaning towards rats

The burrowing and in particular the actual plant damage is more indicative of rabbits ime.  (but again not always so easy to tell from pics vs being there)

Maybe they managed to squeeze under at a less obvious spot, then tunnelled their way back out ?  

Edited by Amarillo slim
  • Like 2

Not really best pic to demonstrate the L shape I mentioned but best I've got...

large.IMG_2420.jpg

The horizontal can go under the vertical by a hole or so, with that excess folded up behind to ensure there's a seamless barrier , where the ground underneath might undulate or part of vertical section gets bent up for whatever reason...  

The black stuff is DPC buried into ground slightly to restrict vole ingress. Though was mostly relying on lack of cover for this..

Got new problem this year, moles... Worse yet lol 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Clean Green said:

That hole on the first pic looks more rat than rabbit to me. If you’re doing traps, best under a makeshift tunnel of some kind so no risk of killing a bird. Also they hate peppermint and I got rid of a few from my compost heap using that. Worst case scenario, mix sugar with plaster of Paris and leave with a bowl of water. Once that’s set in them, there’ll never come back (but not nice way to go) 

Good call . Didn't even think about peppermint. . Will cement work instead of plaster?

Cement might work, they’ll eat all sorts and including plastic if food is scarce. I guess you could also use some as a thin layer on a smooth surface under a shelter of some kind to try and get some footprints ? 

• Like 1

had a similar experience a few days ago, cage was nocked over for max 12 hours and she was down to the root, nothing left, lots of rabbits about my ends so i reckon they are thirsty due to the lack of rain and these plants are the only things around that have lots of moisture left in them, maybe offer a lettuce or bowl of water to the rabbit gods and they'll pardon the plants, or it might attract more :wassnnme:

Edited by Silvia
  • Like 2

They are not mean to like bfb at all that will kepp them away fromy our plants.YOu can get a spray that keep rabbits and dear away called Grazers .

• Like 1

Looks more like deer to me had a plot 2012 had quite a few like that took the trail cam down looked at the footage and was deer putting there boat races in and eating it. Never had plants go by animals burrowing up into the cages.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Amarillo slim said:

Heb dit jaar een nieuw probleem, mollen... Erger nog LOL 

aw reaaly ?..... heb vaak moedervlekken gehad.... nooit schade gezien.....

Ik vond het een compliment mollen bezoek me.... omdat ze wormen eten...... dus mijn plantengaten waren rijk aan wormen :hippie:

===============

your really fucked if you have this one in your garden.....red list animal...

Veenmollen bestrijden - Biobestrijding

latin name   (Gryllotalpa gryllotalpa)

Edited by DutchFox