Secret jardin light baffle

Oldman2.0

@AngryDuckNever copped, or notified that more replys came in here :lucky:

Having no experience with other tents, other then the Phantom i received last week, i would personally say the homebox is an excellent tent, ya there is light leaks in the zippers, and some in stiching, but from what I've been reading, so do many other brands, and i wouldn't think it would be an issue.

Also to note, and should be considered, you have to roll the door up every time you open it, no bother for me, but might for others. The omniflow vents I had completely off both sides, and I could be wrong, but the way they suggest in the pic, I wouldn't have thought there be enough airflow, but either way, that's the reason I went for the baffle.

Regards the Phantom tents they are the same style as the homebox, come in all the same sizes, and if I was to pick between the 2 it would defo be the Phanton, free'r and smoother zips, less light leaks, and the huge viewing window alone is worth it, and on the plus side too, there cheaper than the homebox, again apologies for not seeing yours, and others posts till now, hope its not too late, and this helps a little mate :thumsup:

• Like 1

@Smokey McBongfaceYour think'n is correct mate, you can cut the clip on pole legs off, all 4 if necessary, as the legs really are for when attaching an extraction fan, (weight), if for use as just a light baffle, all 4 legs off, and can place the duct flange anywhere there's free space on the tent :yep:

Again nearly 2 weeks late, apologies, hope this helps mate :thumsup:

Edited by Oldman2.0
  • Like 1

Thanks mate, as an off the shelf solution pretty much for any tent, that’s cool. 

Have since bought a DP60 which came with the baffle, fittings and cutting tools - seriously impressed even the small cable flange came with its own cutting tool :) the light baffle has a mesh layer to stop any insects getting in.

I couldn’t find a small extract fan I liked the look of so decided to design and print a duct for a 120mm PC fan. (Phanteks T30)

Several hours later:

large.Ducting.jpg

large_duct.jpg

Finished the edges of the fan off with black insulation tape to fill any small gaps and left 25mm space up top to wrap a piece of Velcro around.

large.duct2.jpg

Mesh added to the top to stop anything falling into the duct from above.

Pretty happy with the finished solution :) all fits together perfectly and it’s practically silent at full pelt 2000rpm performance mode while only pulling 1.5w from the wall via the DC adaptor. Zipping the tent up the negative pressure is decent, enough to pull through the baffle and pull the edges of the tent in slightly. 

• Like 2

@MindSoup Thanks a lot mate. Something really satisfying about using a set of calipers and designing something to fit from scratch. Very rarely do you get things right first time but you learn so much in the process. 

• Like 1

Yeah, with the amount of time I spend looking for odd shaped specific doo dads for my car or other projects I think it would pay for itself in no time. 

• Like 1

Was thinking along the same lines when I bought my one mate. Had used a few online print services to print PC parts but the turnaround time is slow unless you pay the premium.

It does take a lot of fiddling to get up and running but once it’s all tuned in the results are really satisfying. 

Would def recommend modelling something and using a print service to begin with. Will give you a feel for what you’re doing and how much it sparks your interest :) if it’s just the odd non-urgent piece the print services can be great. Upload your model, specify options then it’s on them to get it right. 

• Like 1

Good shout on practising with the modeling side of things first, at least that way I can see how things translate to the print. Definitely going to have a looking into this. Whats a good cheap/OS modeling program? 

• Like 1

@Smokey McBongfaceNicly done that, fair play, it pays to think outside the box, nice job and think'n too with the 3D printing, when ya bringing this kit to the market :realcool:

The Sj duct flange, and cable kit, is defo a handy piece of kit, and the fact you can put a hole almost anywhere.

I found when researching the pc fans that the Phanteks T30 are highly rated fans, gona buy a pair meself down the line, so I have 3 different pairs that run at different max rpm and like ya said 1.5 watts per fan, makes them very efficient :yep:

• Like 1

@MindSoup check out the tinkercad website mate, at first it seems really basic and designed for kids but it has all the tools there to model something like the above. Really is superb, the learning curve is low compared to using something like blender and has all the features to do everything you need. No downloads just need to sign in via gmail and it’ll load up in your browser :)

@Oldman2.0 thanks mate lol I guess I could market it on Etsy. There’s all sort of random bits on there, some really expensive.

The fans definitely seem quality and solid mate, built by Nidec who made the ‘Gentle Typoon’ fan about 10 years ago. To this day they’re still among the best pc fans out there, only showing their age due to being non PWM. 

I noticed the T30 comes in a triple pack too so could be a shout if you need more than one. 

Has a 3-way switch on the back to limit the RPM so you don’t need a fan controller. At 2000 RPM (performance mode) it’s really quiet.

Plug into the wall and go pretty much :) 

• Like 1

Just now, Smokey McBongface said:

check out the tinkercad

Sounds awesome I'll have a play on my next day off. 

• Like 1

@Smokey McBongfaceYa the Noctua ones I got the other day are the pwm models with the 4 pins, and i think ya can still get the gentle typhoons, thanks for the heads up on the packs of 3 of the T30's, I was think'n of going even higher in rpm, but I think as you up the noise gets louder.

:thumsup:

• Like 1

@Oldman2.0 the T30 has an advanced mode (3000 RPM) mate. At that point other higher RPM fans don’t matter as they’re not 30mm thick. It’s probably more accurate to compare the T30 to a regular 140mm spinning at the same RPM.

Could be different with a server fan lol but as you say the noise becomes unbearable with higher RPMs. 

Edited by Smokey McBongface
  • Like 1

@Smokey McBongfaceThat's savage with the T30's then.

My Noctua's at 1700rpm  move some air, but the T30's you have are prob even quieter at a higher rpm, so I'm defo going to get some of those :yep:

My Fractal's then will do for the first month above pots for seedlings, and then can be moved underneath the canopy from there, then the 2 Noctua's can be turned on for just above the canopy, and a pair of the T30's placed above the lights to push the warm air down to the canopy :)

Really glad I went this route now regards circulation, put a lot of time in toying around with the different options.

All 6 fans are speed controlled, and running at max power total is 9 watts been pulled for all 6 fans + there light, small, efficient, and are easy placed anywhere. I bought a roll of the green plastic coated garden wire for training plants, and when trying to come up with a jig to mount them, I had the :idea: moment, the garden wire. It can bend, and be shaped any way ya want, and the way I've done it, all I have to do, to raise or lower these fans, is just hold the bottom of the fan, lift it up about 2" and can then slide it up, or down the tent poles where ever you want to put the fans :)

Thanks again mate for your time, and the info :realcool: Been honest i took a gamble with the fans, as not much info here regards these, and reading to many problems with clip on fans, and noisy standard fans, very happy with this set up :yep:

Couldn't get back into this site till this morning, kept getting http error 500, what ever that is

Edited by Oldman2.0
Error 500
  • Like 1

@Oldman2.0 Can’t go wrong with the Noctua’s mate absolutely brilliant fans :) can’t really beat the Fractals either for the price. I bought a Noctua PWM fan controller expecting to have to reduce the RPM of the T30’s, but really don’t need it. I’ll maybe use it to add a small circulation fan instead. 

Another good thing about using PC fans is all the extras you can find. Was thinking a radiator bracket could be ideal for hanging and horizontal mounting just above the light.

Sounds like a cool solution with the garden wire mate, if you’re noticing any vibration noise from the wire you could potentially replace it with rubberised jubilee clips or a thin strip of rubber. Would help silence things at higher RPM’s.

When you look at a single 6” clip on fan (15w) and think it’s pulling the equivalent power to 10 x T30’s, it really does put into perspective how poorly optimised the motors are. 

21.5w and I’m able to run the full tent mate, 20w LED with the single fan on top :) 

• Like 1