Secret jardin light baffle

Oldman2.0

Greetings, as Joey Boswell used to say in bread, think'n about it now, i used to love that series back in the day :yep:

Anyways plugged in me light for the first time last night inside the tent with the door zipped up, and something i hadn't even considered :eek: was the passive air intake, pulled off the inside and outside covers from the intake, and obviously light coming out, now that's no prob for me regards growing for the first couple runs, as i'll be growing autos, no, it's sleeping in the same room is the issue.

I've been very impressed with the secret jardin duct flange i installed yesterday, and am check'n to see if any you guys here have used there light baffle as this could solve this issue, now i'm assuming they do block the light, but is that at the expense of the air intake, as i think there's 4 layers to the baffle, so are they still a capable device regards air intake? :thumsup:

• Like 1

Yep, no restrictions with airflow. You can always add a fan for active intake. I use my baffles for stealth reasons. No way I want a glowing cabinet. :yep: 

• Like 1

I was guna get one but then I found this thread, guna give this a go I reckon. 

My grow with autos went ok with leaving the passive intake in a darkish room but I don't wanna risk it again 

• Like 1

@Slippy One  ah good stuff, i'll pick one up tomorrow at the shop, regards intake fan, my tent is homebox ambient so no duct pockets for intake, which is part of the reason i got one, dont like some of the tents with duct pockets all over the place, also i'm space restricted, and my bed is about 18" away from the tent which i need for access to windows, and the top of tent for electrics,   @rolio lol thanks for the quick reply's guys as always appreciate yer time :realcool:  large.20220720_061121.jpg

• Like 1

@rolio  :thumsup:  man, i will be setting up a second box in another room when funds allow, so thanks for posting that link, as I'll have more room there for a different set up :realcool:

• Like 1

The ducting system for Secret Jardin does look quite impressive. I guess it should fit other brands of tents too? Does the light baffle have a mesh layer inside it to stop insects getting in? 

• Like 1

@Smokey McBongfacenot sure about the insect bit, but I sure stocking ( tights )or something like that would do, and for the money @€14 to put a hole nearly where ever ya want is great

Edited by Oldman2.0
  • Like 1

Was just thinking could potentially get away without using the internal grey support bracket if the baffle connects without it. Could maybe use the grey bracket and cut the legs/clips off it, if it doesn’t match up with a right angle corner of the tent.

Definitely looks convenient anyway. I really like the cutting system for customising things. :) 

• Like 1

I use one, it does have a few bits of mesh to stop bugs etc. Dunno about all of them but mine had a pinhole light leak in the centre, I had to dismantle it and add some black gorilla tape to cover the hole. There's definitely a fair amount of air restriction compared to an open hole the same size, when I take mine out I can have the fan on full blast and it hardly sucks the sides in but with the baffle it does quite a bit, for that reason I'd probably fit another one but there's nowhere for it to go. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

@MindSoupSecret Jardin do a cutting tool and bracket that goes with the wholoe baffle kit. Otherwise your best bet is active intake. :yep:

• Like 2

Been looking into the sj light baffles , sounds like I might need to fit two if they restrict airflow as much as @MindSoup says ,  I'll persevere with the open pockets for now though, LEDs don't save up for themselves lol ( the missus didn't buy the knackered ballast line unfortunately)

:yinyang:

• Like 1

They’re not like filters, not sure they restrict too much air, but if you were using it on a tent, you’d probably need loads of them to match the size of the mesh passives on the tent. Can’t beat good intake but unless you’re using active intake fans, you’ll need about 8 of these to match the vents on the tent. Active for the win if light trapping is your goal. :yep: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slippy One said:

@MindSoupSecret Jardin do a cutting tool and bracket that goes with the wholoe baffle kit. Otherwise your best bet is active intake. :yep:

Yeah there isn't even a suitable place for another hole lol its crammed into an alcove. Tbf the flat was 39 yesterday and the flower tent was only 29 (veg cupboard was 42!) So I think I've got just about enough now hopefully, before the SJ baffle I was using some 75mm air duct hose I had left over from building a car lol.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

( the missus didn't buy the knackered ballast line unfortunately

Balls, ah well back to the drawing board lol

• Like 1

I was really considering the homebox range of tents as they are one of two company's I've found who produce a 1x1m tent which is 220cm high. And I liked the white outer fabric over an all black tent. Can i ask if the zips are lightproof?

The two disks you pulled out of the vent are meant to act as the light block. The inner disk opens from the bottom or side and the outer disk opens from the top or side. Personally I could not see it being 100% effective and fully light proof 

This a reply back from hombox after an email I sent them in 2020, I also asked for a custom tent with some normal vents on the back bottom wall. 

thank you for your request and for being interested in our HOMEbox Ambient tents!

The omniflow airvents are designed for the passive air circulation.

You can adjust the airvent-cover in this way, that no light will come inside the tent.

Please have a look on the attached pictures. It should help you to understand how it works.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to produce tents with an individual design.

The whole production process leaves no room for deviations.

Please excuse that I cannot help you in this point.

large.62d84683a1085_airvent.jpg

Seems all manufactures of grow tents claim there tent as being lightproof,  but almost every tent suffers with light leaks at the vents or zips. There is a gap in the market for a well designed fully light proof tent.  

Edited by AngryDuck
  • Like 2