The PC Builders thread

Ledgrowlights-Adam

I actually think the modern fans available today are quieter than when I last did a build tbh, and you can get larger 140mm fans too.

• Like 2

In our work pcs which are ryzen 4core systems, i get away with the 3x120mm fans that come with it but in the high end rigs, I would only use noctua fans.

PCs are like grow rooms. The extraction system is the single most important part imo and often overlooked.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Mugwuffin said:

I actually think the modern fans available today are quieter than when I last did a build tbh, and you can get larger 140mm fans too.

i only swapped mine over because the muppet in the shop where i had this one built didn't understand/care when i stressed it had to be silent, so the old unit is still going strong about 12 years later. 

• Like 1

I've been building machines for games and music for ages, love it, HTPC's, DAW's (Cubase then Emagic Logic Gold 4.3, then Logic Pro dual booting gaming hackintoshes. Sadly, hackitoshing has been killed by the M1 CPU's. New Mac Mini is totally silent, a PC DAW killer on its own, but the M1's can run thousands of 64bit plug-ins in Logic, so I'm saving money for the next Mac Mini (M2 chip), which I'll slap on the back of the monitors. Need to update the 1080 GTX on my sons machine, but he still runs most games at 150+ frames so no urgent need to upgrade. 3080 10gb ram price is good now, from £7-800. Better than the £1600 just 1 year ago.. :yep:

The upcoming PCIe 5.0 Nvme SSD's look pretty amazing. That's iphone like speeds on your OS. Might be worth the upgrade for those building soon.. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Slippy One said:

The upcoming PCIe 5.0 Nvme SSD's look pretty amazing. That's iphone like speeds on your OS. Might be worth the upgrade for those building soon.. 

There's also the potential for new games to load textures directly from them, eliminating another bottleneck, and improving loading time further (already amazing).

• Like 1

@Slippy One do you think other manufactures will go the same way and drop x86 in favour of arm? Its all very new to me so my knowledge is limited to the YouTube videos Ive watched. lol

Edited by Ledgrowlights-Adam

Psu Unboxed vs boxed. Pcs for me are more about the build. I enjoy making them, using them not so much.

large.rsz_20220718_145133.jpglarge.rsz_20220718_145142.jpg

• Like 5

Like putting together logo now days, I remember when I built my first PC when I was about 11 back in the early 90s, back then you actually had to read the motherboard manual lol  To find out what jumper switches you had to change to get the hardware specs you're putting on it to work properly. Is was way less industry standard back then.

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 3

Used to build quite a few custom PCs for customers, all top end stuff for cad design and Rhino 3D. Everything is off the shelf these days unless a customer requests it. I did price up a gaming pc for someone but the pre built ones of ebuyeeeeeeer are really good valued.

• Like 3

@Ledgrowlights-AdamNot sure the x86 is toast yet but the M1 chips have certainly been a kick up the arse in terms of crunching numbers/volts. Intel AMD & Nvidia are all to blame for upping the volts per clock cycle over the years. Some new GPU's take double 12v rail connectors just to run,  ARM showed them you don't need that much power. Diminishing returns and all that, a bit like artificial lights! lol 

But for audio, the mac mini with a few external thunderbolt (usb-c) drives is the best bang for buck workstation hands down. I also noted they're beasts for video editing too. Hackintoshing was simply a way to hack logic pro to work on my old PC. Problem was, it was so delicate in operation, you'd waste days fixing everything and no music. Once everything was fixed, it was then time to update the OS which stopped some plugins working, by which time, more days of no music.. you get my drift. Then when everything was working, and ready for music, I wasn't in a creative mood. Then something would break the Clover/Opencore bootloader and the cycle repeats.. :D 

Why I'm saving up for edrums.  :guitar:lol 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ledgrowlights-Adam said:

In our work pcs which are ryzen 4core systems, i get away with the 3x120mm fans that come with it but in the high end rigs, I would only use noctua fans.

PCs are like grow rooms. The extraction system is the single most important part imo and often overlooked.

Totally agree, it's amazing how many new cases still neglect airflow in their design, used 6 120mm fans, and 2 'Bequite' 140mm, the motherboard chipset is the hottest area between 50-60C. The i7 cpu rarely goes over 50C.

• Like 2

got bored so started woreking on the glass needs  bit removed and then anopther couple coats

large.20220715_210107.jpg

• Like 4