The PC Builders thread

Ledgrowlights-Adam

This thread is for anything Computer related. Building, modifying, overclocking, even bought built pcs are welcome.

Whether your an expert pc builder and want to show off your skills, or want to get into it but don't know where to start. 

Questions are encouraged.

DONT QUOTE WALLS OF PICS!!! It ruins threads, please remove any pics from your quote that aren't relevant to what you're saying. The @ function is also very useful when not directly replaying to somebody.

• Like 9

It's been over a decade since I last built a PC. 

I wasn't an expert by any stretch of the imagination,

but was able to spec and build a variety of PCs

Parents spec. 

Music spec. 

Games spec. 

Who knows I might be inspired at some point to build a new computer,

now that I've got a big enough TV to use as a monitor and be easily visible from the comfort of of my chair. 

Side note: I've managed to get another 90day free trial on Ableton Live 10 on my laptop :punk:

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 4

I'm getting ready to do a new build. Graphics cards are getting more affordable and my desktop was built in 2011. It's still running Reason fine but I'll give that to the boy for minecraft and roblox and will be doing a new one for me.

I'm lucky that it will go through the company, so will be bought with before tax money and VAT reclaimed, so a jolly good saving to be made.

I don't know what I'll be putting in, but I can assure there will be no RGB inside the case!

• Like 5

Currently running:
Intel Xeon, 2.6GHz, 8 cores. 32GB ram with an Nvidia T1200.

It's a work laptop and get a new one every two years so kinda given up bothering with my desktop. Current desktop is an old alienware system. Looks cool, very under spec'd now though.

• Like 3

The new intel 11th gen Intel chips are really nice @monkeypig and you can get motherboards that are DDR4 or DDR5 compatible, depending how much you wanna spend on memory. If you wait till the end of the year, Nvidia should be releasing another generation of graphics cards, which should further reduce the price of current models ;)

• Like 2

Ill post bits of my current DAW build as im finishing it. Its my 1st hard line water-cooled attempt. So much gone wrong lol 

One of the last bits to finish whilst i wait for the new GPU block is the PSU cover. Made from 3mm acrylic and 8mm hexagonal mesh.

A bit more time with the dremal and some paint and its done.

large.20220129_170617.jpglarge.20220129_174256.jpg

• Like 6

Here's the backing of the case, it hides all the holes i hacked into it. Gives the PC a nice clean look too. Made as above 3mm acrylic and 8mm mesh.

Getting the holes in the correct place is the hardest part but what i did was line up all the tubing and put blutack on them, that way i could just press the tube onto the backing and it stuck the blu tack where i wanted the holes.

large.20220110_153200.jpglarge.20220129_162833.jpg

• Like 4

Is a psu cover a new thing? The psu always just got bolted into the chassis.

I've got a lot of reading and catching up to do, I don't even now what the current sockets are etc......

Time to go reading on hardware forums,,,,,,,

• Like 1

Yeah it had been at least 10 years since I built one when I did my mates gaming PC in January, most of it is the same tbh. Check out the M.2 drives @monkeypig no need for SATA anymore ;) The Asus case I used on the build had a PSU cover, and really good cable management, seems looks are just as important as performance these days (just another way to show off on social media imo).

• Like 1

Don't even go there, managed to blue screen windows 11 by attempting to set up the RGB fans than came with the case, ended up having to re-install lol

@monkeypig Mines an open frame build, it has a case but its more of a metal sheet to put all the parts on.

The main reason i built the PSU case is im not paying £££ for a white modular one when i can get a black wired one for half the price and just box it in at 3 sides.

Ill put some with and without pics up later.

• Like 2

i'm very intrested in building my own, but the most i have achieved so far is swapping a noisy psu for my old trusty quiet one, recently upgrading the memory, and adding a hhd lol 

• Like 2

My most recent build was a pentium 6405, 8g of ram and a 256g  m2 ssd.Even though it cost less than £200 the thing is pretty rapid,yea it aint a gaming machine or video rendering box,but it can easily cope with what it was designed for,a general purpose electronics workbench pc.Even win  10 runs pretty impressively inside its virtual box,dont want that running free inside the machine.

• Like 3

Heat and noise are the biggest problem in high end PCs these days, especially during this heatwave. Avoiding thermal throttling comes hand in hand with noisy fans.