Strimmers

JohnBudman

Easy all. Hope your seasons going well so far!

Got a couple plots for next year that will require strimming. Been having a look on the bay but not quite sure which one to go for!?

From what I can gather Stihl are the best so was going to go down the second hand route. I’ll be getting a brush cutter blade, no messing about with cord. What models do I want to be looking for? One of the plots is a fair old size..

I did come across the 52cc brush cutter with attachments for about £160. Cheap Chinese I know but did think I’ll only be using a couple times a year, it’s not like I’m out there strimming for a living. Watched a vid on YouTube and it looked alright to be fair but how long it will last I don’t know, thought I’d see if anyone’s got one and how do the get on with it anyway?

I'd be tempted to look into the battery/electric ones, they're way quieter and much better for being ledt in the shed for long periods, 2 strokes always seem to be a struggle to start after not being used for a while. I can't remember the brand but my current strimmer is basically a Stihl with a different casing that cost a lot less, it's the most reliable/ easily started 2 stroke strimmer I've ever used. I'll try and remember the brand name.

Edited by MindSoup

Do you know anyone who’s got one @MindSoup? I know battery power has got better in recent years but not sure if it would be man enough for what I want?

Noise isn’t an issue really

Stihl in different clothing? Could it be a McCulloch?

I'd get the shittiest cheapest one you think is up to the job just incase you need to fuck it off at a moments notice out in yer spot, the same ethos I apply to spinning rods for trout :ninja:

:yinyang:

• Like 2

@BilgePump maybe yeah, although I remember it being a bit more Asian sounding, it has an orange casing, very similar in colour to husquvarna stuff. 

Good point about cheap and nasty, maybe a Carbooot jobby or something, I'd just hate to lug it all the way to the plot (must be pretty isolated if he's happy using one) and then not being able to get the bastard to start... 

Just now, JohnBudman said:

Do you know anyone who’s got one @MindSoup? I know battery power has got better in recent years but not sure if it would be man enough for what I want?

Noise isn’t an issue really

I've not owned an electric strimmer, but the stihl electric hedge trimmer I was using about 4 years ago was an absolute beast, it just didn't last for very long, but in that time I'd imagine batteries and motors have advanced a fair bit. 

But if noise isn't an issue then 2 stroke should be fine and probably a lot easier to find cheap. 

Sounds like my Von Haus rotavator that @MindSoup...

...Von Haus might be a good shout tbh , their kit is proper powerful if a little basic, and cheap!

Pretty sure my rotavator would have a go at concrete lollol and the knock off dremmel multi is fierce!! 

:yinyang:

• Like 1

Stihl is the dogs bollocks but prob not worth it for a couple times a year unless you got spare cash 

I used a second hand makita before I got my stihl. It's well loud 2 stroke and it doesn't like being left over winter with fuel in the tank so run it to empty when storing. It would do the job though just takes longer and struggles a bit more with heavy stuff. It starts reliably when I'm using it weekly though.

large.20210519_203538.jpg

I got a light weight sthl strimmer last year. Its silent but not that powerful. Invest in more powerful chopper I'd say

• Like 3

So my strimmer is a Tanaka, if you see one going cheap I'd recommend the brand, like I said, I gather they're essentially a stihl with a different casing. 

• Like 2

ive had a few, stihl was best, petrol one. ive now got an atco i think its called, its a pita, i have to take the plug out every time i first start it and pour a little neat petrol/2t mix in the hole, or it wont start.

had a kawasaki, it was ok but another pain to start.

husqvarna are also good.

id buy another stihl

• Like 2

Electric for the win. Don't use anything less that 36v (2x 18v). Always have 4 batteries. This newish Makita wasn't cheap but comes with cutter blade and nylon feed. I prefer the nylon feed for nettles, anything thicker, swamp it for the blade. I'm looking forward to my mid august trim back to use the nettle growth as mulch and ferts. 

No oil, no petrol, no starting issues and silent. Nuff said. :yep:

large.1.jpglarge_12.jpglarge.9.jpg

• Like 11

Nice one chaps. 

Lovely looking spot you got there @Slippy One :yep: and that Makita looks just the job, how long do you roughly get off 4 batteries mate?

26 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

No oil, no petrol, no starting issues and silent. Nuff said

i went with the brushless metabo :stoned:  just because i had a load of batteries already

it’s such a strange thing to just pick it up and start if your used to petrol and oil  lol 

I flipping love it! 

• Like 4