Zero odor

Moby

I see, that is quite a tricky one isn't it, I guess a sealed environment could actually be the best option. Remo on YouTube has a great series following his giant closed environment grow room, the scale is obviously a lot bigger but It's a nice watch for inspiration. 

If it's underground then I guess the garage itself would be pretty cool most of the time, so you might get away with pumping your heat into it, but then you won't have a closed environment and would also be pumping out all your CO2. For a proper sealed environment you need all the equipment inside the growing space. 

I would be tempted to get a couple of vents fitted to your external door, you could always disconnect the ducting when you needed to open it up.

Edited by MindSoup

on the an fan box idea - I was considering boxing in the fan unit and then filling with expanding foam but i am little concerned it woulnt work and didnt want to risk a new 6"fan .

I currently run a 4" bathroom extractor fan (100m3/hr) venting into loft but thats struggling to move the mass of air required to keep temp under 30'C

I will leave others to discuss sealed units and co2 (not my bag) but your garage wont be air tight, so if you extract into the garage this will give your garage positive pressure (higher tan outside ) and air should naturally find its way outside due to the pressure differences.

Edited by RUFUS HOUND

38 minutes ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

if you extract into the garage this will give your garage positive pressure

No, it wouldn't. You'd need to be pulling air in from somewhere else for that to happen. 

As for your fan box idea, what about using chunks of sponge/foam instead of expanding foam, that way it would all be reversible and you could access the fan to fix /maintain it if required.

10 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

No, it wouldn't. You'd need to be pulling air in from somewhere else for that to happen. 

As for your fan box idea, what about using chunks of sponge/foam instead of expanding foam, that way it would all be reversible and you could access the fan to fix /maintain it if required.

Im afraid your wrong mate @MindSoup you are increasing the air pressure by mechanical means ie the fan - high pressure always flows to low pressure and you are pulling fresh air in as the garage isnt airtight 

But the sponge idea is a winner

Edited by RUFUS HOUND

If he was to use a heat exchanger then any air pumping out of the tent would have come from inside the garage already though, so there would be no pressure build up. Maybe I missed something but I don't see where any air would be coming in from outside. 

Edited by MindSoup

the pressure will rise in the garage if the fan is supplying more air than pisses out of leaks - a leak is only high pressure equalising to a lower pressure

But where is the air coming from? The tent? Surely.it would also be sucking back into the tent? Anyway its not thay important really lol

buildings are not air tight, your not in a sealed room - put a massive fan in a room with a door, say theres a gap under the door - when the fan is fired up, air will be coming from gap so air must be being drawn in from gaps and holes and even from the building fabric itself depennding on materials.

fans at the end of day are just a form of compressor 

@MindSoup and @RUFUS HOUND, thanks for the replies. 

Venting into the garage won't increase or decrease pressure, it'll just circulate air within the garage. It'll only increase/decrease pressure if air is being added or taken away from the garage space. Without cutting a whole in the garage door to vent out of, I can't do that in any significant way. Pointing a fan at a closed garage door may force a tiny bit through the cracks around the edges, but then air needs to come back in somewhere else for that to happen sustainably. 

The idea of using a passive heat exchanger would be to run a carbon filter/fan in the closed space, this would be to just reduce the honk of the air in the space and therefore the honk of any air leaking. That fan filter, could run through a passive air-air heat exchanger the otherside of which could be connected to another small fan/filter which scrubs the garage air. The garage would be another seperate semi sealed space that happens to be cooler because of the fabric of the place. The heated air from inside the grow space would get cooled in the exchanger and recycled in the space. The cool garage air would be heated in the exchanger and warm the garage up a bit. 

@RUFUS HOUND. I reckon cushion type foam is better, I reckon it'll transfer less vibration to the box and you can recycle your fans of you hate it. 

• Like 1

Who can still remember when all that we used to do just put a seed in some mud and water it occasionally? Those were the days I look back on with fond nostalgia,  sometimes forgetting that the weed was mediocre compared to the stuff I can grow with today's tech and methods,  @Moby  all sounds a bit too technical for my simple brain but I'll definitely be checking in, it'll be interesting to see how you go and the level of technical wizardry you opt for, good luck man :skin_up:

19 hours ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

on the an fan box idea - I was considering boxing in the fan unit and then filling with expanding foam but i am little concerned it woulnt work and didnt want to risk a new 6"fan .

I think a few people on here do that. Search for Leepy box. Wrap the fan in cling film first I think was the advice

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Should Know Betterer said:

Who can still remember when all that we used to do just put a seed in some mud and water it occasionally? Those were the days I look back on with fond nostalgia,  sometimes forgetting that the weed was mediocre compared to the stuff I can grow with today's tech and methods,  @Moby  all sounds a bit too technical for my simple brain but I'll definitely be checking in, it'll be interesting to see how you go and the level of technical wizardry you opt for, good luck man :skin_up:

Haha, I totally agree! And when I was younger and lived in the middle of nowhere on a farm I would treat them no different to outdoor tomatoes... Very average weed though..haha

But now I'm in the process of seperating from my wife and having to move into a new build with very conservative neighbors on all sides, one of whom's front door is 3m from my new garage door... Weed is quite important to me, it keeps me sane and sleeping.. and pretty crucial given my current situation... But growing in such proximity to other people is totally new to me .. so I need to science the crap out of it for me to feel remotely relaxed about it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, silvester growdrobe said:

I think a few people on here do that. Search for Leepy box. Wrap the fan in cling film first I think was the advice

top marks sir , thankyou

@Mobyhope you find a solution to your problem mate , good luck

Edited by RUFUS HOUND
  • Like 1