Zero odor

Moby

Hi,

I've been growing for sometime in a small room at my own property. My wife and I are seperating and I'm likely moving into a rental for the next couple of years.

I would like to continue growing if possible. The place I'm looking at has a good sized garage and a store cupboard, either of which could be used. But its a very clean and nice new build with no way of venting outside from these spaces. I have known friends to grow in closed garages and despite filters the smell builds up... I will have close neighbors who I've mets and won't be sympathetic and there's allways the chance that the landlord drops by at short notice. 

Does anyone have advice on creating a space to suit? My main concerns are stealth and odor. I could probably hide a 2mx1m tent behind some shelving in the garage, but it needs to be silent and odor free. Closed with C02? 

Cheers,

can u not have a tent in the bedroom, or anywhere else in the house, its contained, and the smell is dealt with by a carbon filter that u vent outside 

- we all do it, its perfectly safe so long as u remember to check & change ur carbon filter

mystic

• Like 3

I grew for about a year venting into the same room and there was absolutely no smell build up whatsoever, and that was with a tiny cheapo CF. That being said there's always a way to vent outside, even if you use a window with an "AC window seal" type arrangement. 

As for stealth, converting a wardrobe/cupboard/old fridge is probably a better way to go than using a tent, the main thing is keeping it as quiet as possible by using a good quality oversized EC fan on a low speed setting for extraction. 

• Like 6

I also vent into the same room and have no problems with smell, my mother hates the smell and would tell me right away if it did lol

• Like 5

get a core drill or hammer and chisel if your feeling fit and put hole through garage wall - sorry noticed your in a rental.

I have a loft grow that vents into the loft space and the smell does build up after few days.

I've taken the bathroom ceiling vent pipe and use it to supply "fresh bathroom air" to tent. The bathroom extractor fan is now open ended in the loft and when ever somebody turns on the bathroom light, it pulls the air from the loft and expels it outside.

Everything appears normal inside the house - just a ceiling vent in the bathroom and the fan runs when light is on - might be a solution if you have a similar set up in bathroom

Edited by RUFUS HOUND

If you have a garage and its not a much older stone buils there is usually opportunity somewhere to vent along where the roof meets the walls.    I've grown in three garages and there was always somewhere that you could lift some pvc or wood along the eaves and squish an extraction pipe in there.    Preferably at the back/garden side and not the street side as its always a leap of faith that the filter works 24/7! 

• Like 1

On 08/07/2022 at 6:46 AM, Moby said:

anyone have advice

remember as well that a garage arrangement might need supplemental heating - more so than if u had a contained space inside the house

mystic

A 3 scent plug in thing in the hallway ensures all my neighbours smell from my flat is Cotton Fresh, essential bit of kit imo

:skin_up:

• Like 3

Ive got a plug in, in the loft as well - nice old lady lavender seems to cover without giving that sickly sweet smell.

• Like 1

Thanks all,

@GreenOval unfortunately the house is built into a hil, so the garage is under the first floor living space. The only potential vent is to somehow squeeze a vent around the garage door. 

Plug in things sound popular, noted, thanks. 

I have an AC transformer so I can speed control my fans with no hum anyway. I have two 125mm RK fans in 12mm MDF boxes stuffed with insulation. These with acoustic ducting are very quiet. Especially when turned low. I like the idea of oversized fans though.

So one idea I had was to use a closed 2m x 1m tent which I could just about hide behind some shelves and piles of crap. Then use C02 with a fan/filter, running inside the tent to scrub the C02 rich air. Then I could have the other fan running in the actual garage to scrub any escaped odor that leaks or from when I open the door? 

fan/filter to scrub CO2 rich air - sorry youve lost me now, wheres the co2 coming from ?

interested in your insualted fan box - got any photos

Edited by RUFUS HOUND

8 minutes ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

fan/filter to scrub CO2 rich air - sorry youve lost me now, wheres the co2 coming from ?

interested in your insualted fan box - got any photos

I was just toying with the idea of making a sealed grow space and adding c02. I've never grown with C02 before, but I've heard good things and after the initial set up cost, it seems fairly economical.  inevitably it would leak a tiny bit somewhere, so if I had a fab/filter cycling and scrubbing the air within the space it would keep the leaking air from honking too much.. I could also run a fan filter in the garage cleaning the air in there.. I have a speed controller, so I could run it really slowly and silently (saving electricity and filters) and then turn it up for when I need to open the space and release stinky air. It's just a thought.. and I think I've maxed my training, feeding, lighting and I'd been keen to experiment with C02 anyway... Heat build up could be a problem though, I use 600w of led quantum boards and in a closed space they still create a family bit of heat. 

I'll try and remember to take a picture of my fan boxes. It was dead easy. I just measures the fan housing, then  designed the square sides of the box to give about 20mm of space either side of the widest bit of the fan. So I had the dimensions of the 6 sides of the box. Then went to my local hardware store and they just cut them for me on a table saw.. so I didn't even have to do it myself.. then I found the centre of two opposite sides, got a compass, measured and drew the inlet/outlet for the ducting, Jigsaw'd the holes out. I used foam from an old cushion in the base, then packed bits down the sides and on top. Basically the foam keeps the housing from touching the MDF box, so there's no vibration transferred. The foam also absorbs a little of the lower frequencies. Use the thickest MDF you have space for, I think mine is 18mm. The mass of the box will absorb the rest of the lowe frequency stuff. Then when you stick it together, glue and screw the whole thing so it's rock solid. Make sure you have all the gaps sealed with glue as high frequency sounds will find their way out of tiny holes. I used acoustic ducting and sealed them with jubilee and tape to the fan inside the box. Then loads of duct tape to seal for sound where the duct meets the box. Then ducting it compressed there anyway so it fine.. they're seriously quiet... I'd be surprised if any equal sized commercial fan could be quieter. At low speeds it's barely audible.. I reckon using a bigger fan at lower speeds in a box like this would be perfect, it would reduce the high frequency hiss the still finds its way down and out ducting... But it'd be really bulky.. 

If you're running a sealed environment remember to factor in the additional cost of Air conditioning and dehumidification as well as the CO2, with electric prices going uo I can see that being very expensive, especially if you have a grow go to shit. 

I know I'm not stood in that garage with you, but im certain if I was I'd find a place to vent out from, even if you fitted a vented roof tile or something. 

Just now, MindSoup said:

If you're running a sealed environment remember to factor in the additional cost of Air conditioning and dehumidification as well as the CO2, with electric prices going uo I can see that being very expensive, especially if you have a grow go to shit. 

I know I'm not stood in that garage with you, but im certain if I was I'd find a place to vent out from, even if you fitted a vented roof tile or something. 

It's under a building set into a hill. a concrete ceiling with accommodation above, all the walls are block with foundations/earth/the hill on the other side of the back wall, the neighbors house on the otherside of one side wall, my own hall on the otherside of the other. The only option would be the crack around the up and over door. 

I run a dehumidifier anyway..but it would be going constantly, so obviously more.. cooling would be an issue.  The house has a good sized solar set up, so I could run through the day time. 

Just now, MindSoup said:

Re humidity and heat; it would probably be cost effective to just spend a few quid on a small ventilation air heat recovery system, so it just put the heat out from the internal air into the garage. They also condense so it would lighten the dehumidifier load. 

Edited by Moby