getting back into it

Joolz

I can confirm the mackerel season is well under way.....good fish sized fish started coming through down south 

Last time I checked the flatties have finished spawning as well 

I nearly forgot.....GH bream....nice sizes.....caught off the shore fairly regularly atm :yep:

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 1

Just now, zen-ken said:

You ain't catching barbel on a spinner surely ????

They do take lures I've heard but you would have to be brave to play a decent barbel on a spinner rod, snap tips easy they do.

I don't go down the river less than 2.25lb tc if I'm going for barbel.

• Like 3

i’m thinking float fishing (not done much of that) is where it’s at as you get old :stoned:  fuck casting and snagging all day for feck all lol 

• Like 3

Just now, Exhale said:

They do take lures I've heard but you would have to be brave to play a decent barbel on a spinner rod, snap tips easy they do.

I don't go down the river less than 2.25lb tc if I'm going for barbel.

Ive not done much river fishing tbf.....I would love to do more but our river is all private apart from the estuary. (hence the barbel dream)

My brother is a perch, drop shotting legend....I think he has had a few 5lb plus now.

I have, however, taken sea-trout, salmon and bass straight out on the kayak on a foot long kayak rod - now this is fun (pre cancer)

I do miss Pembrokeshire....was like fishing in a barrel.....milford haven is the best sea fishing I have ever had (pisses over both channels)

Not being able to trawl that bay means it holds plenty of life - even if every 9 out of 10 was a fucking doggy lol 

• Like 3

I've recently started again after fishing for carp for years I moved to Scotland and there's not much in the way of carp up here but there's plenty of lochs with pike in 

Just bought all new gear for predator fishing new spinning rod and baitcaster reel and all terminal tackle cost me an absolute fortune 

Went to the local loch and hired a boat £40 for the day plus permit to fish 

Caught 3 decent sized pike lost a couple of lures due to tangles but really enjoyed chilling on the loch in the boat with a couple of J's a packed lunch and a flask of coffee 

Not been back since but planning on going back soon :yinyang:

• Like 4

Mam I've not wet a line for years it feels like...

@Exhale 2 ¼lb TC? For barbel? Surely that's a bit of a broomstick?

Last time I went out I was using a set of 11ft 1¾lb TC MK2 armalites and targeting 40lb+ carp.

How times have changed lol 

:yinyang:

• Like 2

Just now, BilgePump said:

2 ¼lb TC? For barbel? Surely that's a bit of a broomstick?

2.25 is pretty middle of the park by todays standards with carp rods going up to 3.75, it's more about doing you on all rivers, big and small, with heavier terminal to consider (the feeders have to be of a certain weight depending on the size and flow to anchor and not roll around)

Carp don't compare, they can hit hard but Barbel are on another level. 

Most rods play at the tip, barbel rods have to play through to the butt that's how savage they are.

• Like 3

@Exhale yeah man barbel scrap fair, I've only had upper singles but given they technically don't live in our rivers in Devon it's quite an achievement I feel (had mine from the river torridge) 

Pulled a few 30+ carp out on those old armalites on 8lb line though, it's all about balance ( and having a rod that bends through to the bottom split duplon helps lol)

Was clearing out a cupboard the other day and found a set of Fox dxr alarms , might have to investigate further...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Joolz said:

this fucking swan just waddled up to me "oh you have maggots" big gulp, "oh sweetcorn too" "oh and pellets", he treated me like an all you can eat Chinese buffet and when I hid all that was left the fucking thing attacked me lol
ended up tossing my sarnies across the lake in the hope he'd fuck off after them, he did, and then he came back and attacked me again  lol

lol that has cheered me up

i used to do a lot of fishing as a lad, all day down the local ponds, and did a lot of sea fishing too, but haven't been in 20 years.

i like the sound of filling my freezer with mackerel, coasts about 40 mins away, beer is a nice spot, hmmm...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ratdog said:

lol that has cheered me up

i used to do a lot of fishing as a lad, all day down the local ponds, and did a lot of sea fishing too, but haven't been in 20 years.

i like the sound of filling my freezer with mackerel, coasts about 40 mins away, beer is a nice spot, hmmm...

Go for it bro....Some fun sport to be had and tasty fish to eaten....I struggle, but as long as I take someone to help its all gravy :yep:

21 hours ago, BilgePump said:

@Exhale yeah man barbel scrap fair, I've only had upper singles but given they technically don't live in our rivers in Devon it's quite an achievement I feel (had mine from the river torridge) 

Pulled a few 30+ carp out on those old armalites on 8lb line though, it's all about balance ( and having a rod that bends through to the bottom split duplon helps lol)

Was clearing out a cupboard the other day and found a set of Fox dxr alarms , might have to investigate further...

I forget your around my neck of the woods.....yeah we ain't getting no barbel down here.....Ive took a 20lb plus on a pole and 1.25 TC beautiful £200 special edition drenan rod.....but the hand built greys come out for the big carp and catfish :yep:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Exhale said:

Carp don't compare, they can hit hard but Barbel are on another level. 

Most rods play at the tip, barbel rods have to play through to the butt that's how savage they are.

So I have been told....the river speed/depth a factor ?....they are beautiful looking fish as well :wub: like a bar of gold

On 01/07/2022 at 1:26 PM, Rufus Brown said:

I've recently started again after fishing for carp for years I moved to Scotland and there's not much in the way of carp up here but there's plenty of lochs with pike in 

Just bought all new gear for predator fishing new spinning rod and baitcaster reel and all terminal tackle cost me an absolute fortune 

Went to the local loch and hired a boat £40 for the day plus permit to fish 

Caught 3 decent sized pike lost a couple of lures due to tangles but really enjoyed chilling on the loch in the boat with a couple of J's a packed lunch and a flask of coffee 

Not been back since but planning on going back soon :yinyang:

Fucking love to catch a monster pike....Only Jacks for me so far lol 

On 01/07/2022 at 9:46 AM, twigs said:

i’m thinking float fishing (not done much of that) is where it’s at as you get old :stoned:  fuck casting and snagging all day for feck all lol 

For tench.....with a few sweetcorn or mini boillies......nothing like seeing them red eyes come up with that beautiful green body.

I love catching gripper tench. another stunner of our lakes :wub: using an old quill lol 

• Like 1

Just now, zen-ken said:

So I have been told....the river speed/depth a factor ?

Absolutely and the bigger and faster the river the bigger and stronger the fish, they thrive in it.

• Like 3