getting back into it

Joolz

recently realised that I've not been fishing in over 15 years apart from a few sea trips and a bit of harbour wall fishing when on holiday but as I live less than half a mile from the river and having an 8 lake complex a mile and half away I thought it was time to revisit the hobby

Having given away all my old kit I've had to start from scratch, had a couple of short sessions on the lakes but realised I've forgotten everything so have been binge watching how too's on youtube, which wasn't even a thing when I last went lol

I also forgot how frustrating it can be lol  loosing gear on the island , tangles, losing gear in the trees, tangles, losing gear in the bushes, more tangles, smoking a spliff to chill out and then dropping my phone in the lake, getting robbed and attacked by a fucking swan and kicking what was left of my bait into the water

I did bag a few F1's, a nice tench and a couple of small carp and skimmers so not all bad

Anyway, knowledge brushed up on, all the gear and some idea, day on the lakes tomorrow, and I hope that fucking swan likes paxo  :)

Edited by Joolz
  • Like 25

I have always wanted to catch a decent barbel.... I can imagine hitting in to a 20lb fish on the river on about a 2lb TC :thisbig:

I just brushed up the sea tackle ready for the water warming up..and its fucking geese and ducks usually having my boilies away on the lake lol ....tight lines :yep:

• Like 5

Just now, zen-ken said:

and its fucking geese and ducks usually having my boilies away on the lake lol

this fucking swan just waddled up to me "oh you have maggots" big gulp, "oh sweetcorn too" "oh and pellets", he treated me like an all you can eat Chinese buffet and when I hid all that was left the fucking thing attacked me lol
ended up tossing my sarnies across the lake in the hope he'd fuck off after them, he did, and then he came back and attacked me again  lol

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, zen-ken said:

I have always wanted to catch a decent barbel.... I can imagine hitting in to a 20lb fish on the river on about a 2lb TC :thisbig:

the lakes near me also have a couple of stretches on the river, loads of double figure barbel being caught apparently :yep:

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Joolz said:

swan

Not called that amongst our lot. 

Long necked thick bastards is what we call them :) 

Owd

• Like 6

@Joolz take a loaf or 2 of bread to feed geese and ducks up away from where your fishing till there full and leave you alone

Cast short of islands and trees then pull a few feet of line out and use the line clip on the reel....repeat until you hit the sweet stop

Tight lines

• Like 3

lol Well other than make sure you have a full tackle box with you im out of ideas im afraid

Edited by Eldo
  • Like 3

i love fishing this is all you need bach i aint fished in 20 years until 2 years ago,this bait works even on the barbel.... lol

https://www.protackleshop.co.uk/en5/mepps-spinners-aglia/s/316

i was off pembroke last week  catching sharks,i`ll get a few pics uploadered when im kind of sober tommorow. :beer: 

Edited by thekingofobsolete
fag ash in keyboard
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, thekingofobsolete said:

this is all you need bach

The bronze ones of those are fantastic trout magnets on my local river.

• Like 1

It's good to go fishing I've been back in to it the last couple of years having to replace my rods after backing up in to my rod holdall in the garage and snapping everything inside.

I'm picking up a Barbel rod soon to finish off rebuilding my collection and a trip over the Wye is on the agenda, a good river crawl and camping is awesome.

Had a lot of fun "actively" fishing with the method feeder recasting every 5 minutes or when I get a bite, it doesn't take long to find the fish with the feeder and they're keener on the pellet than they are the boilies which I normally just play down the margins these days, leave a baitrunner set and just let them run off the reel.

Swans I don't have a problem with or ducks, I cover my bait if they come over and I clap at them and they move on - normally to the people that do have a problem with them and they wind them right up lol 

I had to cut a swan free the other month a bloke was floating bread on the pole and hooked one, wrapped the elastic round it's neck a few times and around it's body and feet, I just put my coat over it and cut the elastic and then backed off (they can do serious damage to you!)

They are a pain in the arse sometimes but you have to remember to respect them and the environment, far too many people leaving shit on the banks these days the lazy, disrespectful fecks they are.

• Like 5

I had to help collect swans every now and then that used to wonder from a lake i worked at into peoples gardens lol

just bought a Zebco pier rod for kayak fishing or just to whip out on a ledge, which is like an ice hole rod, small and strong, mad looking thing that you can almost stick in a deep army trouser pocket, has a tangle free reel too! 

also been upgrading my spinning stuff for end of the world survival as well as beach days lol 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, thekingofobsolete said:

i love fishing this is all you need bach i aint fished in 20 years until 2 years ago,this bait works even on the barbel.... lol

https://www.protackleshop.co.uk/en5/mepps-spinners-aglia/s/316

You ain't catching barbel on a spinner surely ????

Ive used flies for carp.....but spinners would be a new one for me for anything other than school bass and macky

A couple of the boys have been getting the odd tuna as well....cant land the bastards tho :yep:

• Like 2