Heatwave temps go brrr

Lubdub

Im in southern europe and we're going through a pretty nasty heatwave atm. 

My tent is in a non airconned room and i vent directly into the room and usually have windows open on either side to draw air through the room - far from ideal but it's what I have to work with.

My tent temp have peaked at 35c past couple of days, stays there for about 2-3 hours before coming back down to 31-32c. Thats above the canopy, below the canopy is average 30c, and 33c during the hottest part of the day. 

I've had to dim my LED right down to 120w, sometimes even 60w when the heat is really bad.

For those of you who don't or won't use a/c, what are you doing to combat some the hottest days?

Should I be worried about 35c? Should i play around with raising my Attis and increasing the wattage or keeping it hung low and dimmed?

• Like 1

Just now, catweazle1 said:

Are your plants perky with leaves raised?

yeh they're looking great - bar one which has slight canoeing going on but still looking great overall. 4 autos 2 photos.

my main concern is the degrading of trichomes as i've read that temps above 33 can do that.

Edited by Lubdub
  • Like 1

I was always told that led ambient temps should be around 30 anyway due to lack of IR. As long as airflow is good, I tend to feed them cooler nutrient mix to chill the plant down, but like sticking your feet in cold water on a hot day, around 16 degrees.

• Like 1

You could do with an IR thermometer, which would tell you actual leaf temps as  they'll be a bit lower than ambient from the evaporation... 2-3c. The fact they are praying is a good sign that things are still tolerable for the plants. Although you can't see it there will be a gradient of cooling higher humidity immediately around the leaves. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lubdub said:

For those of you who don't or won't use a/c, what are you doing to combat some the hottest days?

Tbh I try not to think about it and hope for the best lol

I'm not sure about where you are, but here in UK the worst of the heat only affects one or sometimes maybe two of my crops each year. Its not ideal but I still have decent results. The thing for me which is more of an issue is the nutrient solution getting too warm and trying to slow dry in a baking hot attic, the plants themselves seem to do fine.

3 hours ago, Lubdub said:

My tent is in a non airconned room and i vent directly into the room and usually have windows open on either side to draw air through the room - far from ideal but it's what I have to work with.

My tent temp have peaked at 35c past couple of days, stays there for about 2-3 hours before coming back down to 31-32c. Thats above the canopy, below the canopy is average 30c, and 33c during the hottest part of the day. 

I've had to dim my LED right down to 120w, sometimes even 60w when the heat is really bad.

Should I be worried about 35c? Should i play around with raising my Attis and increasing the wattage or keeping it hung low and dimmed?

Hi @Lubdub

I'm about to move to Southern Europe aswell. 

So I already know in advance what I'm about to encounter Heat issues wise .

What is you normal Daytime temperature outside. 

And what Temperature are you reaching with your lights on full.

I Actually want to buy/use a Portable AC Unit, I just don't know which one to Buy and how to fit it.

And one of the things that worries me about Temperatures above 32 degrees Celsius is  that The THC starts to Degrade ,but it  looks perfectly fine to the Naked Eye but it won't be Psychoactive 

I'm hoping someone has Experience in a Hot climate on incorporating Portable A/C into a Grow Tent. 

Lubdub turning your lights down should help lower the Heat 

but it will massively Decrease  your Yield. 

I want to be able to have all my lights on full and still have my room at approximately 30 Degrees Celsius ,by using Portable A/C, regardless of how hot it is outside in summer. 

Any Growers from Hot Countries who have already Solved Heat issues in summer 

I would appreciate some advice. 

Skunkman.uk 

Edited by Skunkman.uk
Spelling mistake

Best remedy is to grow more in the cooler months to sustain you through summer. Otherwise you'll just need to keep the all fans on high. Lights on period at night is also recommended.  :yep:

3 hours ago, Skunkman.uk said:

Hi @Lubdub

I Actually want to buy/use a Portable AC Unit, I just don't know which one to Buy and how to fit it.

And one of the things that worries me about Temperatures above 32 degrees Celsius is  that The THC starts to Degrade ,but it  looks perfectly fine to the Naked Eye but it won't be Psychoactive 

I'm hoping someone has Experience in a Hot climate on incorporating Portable A/C into a Grow Tent. 

I want to be able to have all my lights on full and still have my room at approximately 30 Degrees Celsius ,by using Portable A/C, regardless of how hot it is outside in summer. 

I would appreciate some advice. 

Skunkman.uk 

Not sure about thc degrading above 35 mate. I’ve hit those temps plenty and my weed plenty fuck you up enough.  And don’t forget plenty of countries where weed grows naturally hit above 35c. Not to mention thca doesn’t activate till why higher temps. Like 100c+

but one thing worth considering is growing varieties that are more suited to hot climbs. Thai / Africa based statins for examole

rather than kush like Afghans. Check out Ace seeds for some good options . Loser buds = less chamce

of bud rot

Edited by Lean Bear
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Lubdub said:

Hi @Lubdub

I would appreciate some advice

@Lean Bear

Hi 

THC is known to start Degrading/Converting 

when indoor temperatures start to go above the early 30s degrees Celsius .

Some strains can probably take higher temperatures.

But high temperatures in general is not good practice if a grower can avoid that then its better. 

Outdoors and indoors is no comparison. 

Plants have Climatized over millions of years to adjusted to what ever region  in the outdoors .

The Outdoors has a constant air exchange ect ect,

and outdoor Plants still Shut Down when it's too Hot 

You are correct about Strains that can tolerate higher temperatures. 

But I want to Grow Ugorg Blues & ugorg#1 BX ,Ugorg Gettoblaster ect in a Sunny Country ,

it will be so nice in the Sunshine once I figure out how to incorporate a Portable AC into a Grow Tent. 

Edited by Skunkman.uk
Spelling mistake

@CHAN

Hi

I can grow 4 Plants Indoors Legally, along as they are not Visible 

So outdoors would be breaking the Law,

because they are not being kept private. 

The county I'm about to grow in is very Strict if a person goes Above the Tolerated Allowance ,

and if everything is on Display. 

So i cant Grow outdoors,  I would like too,but i cant.

Edited by Skunkman.uk
Spelling mistake

I'm glad someone mentioned cannabis grows in naturally hot countries. I've grown great weed in 30+c but it's just the drying that let's things down. Saying that I got some drying at the mo and it's going well as the humidity is quite high. 

Just make sure you don't let them dry out and they're sweet. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Skunkman.uk said:

bro get this 1

electriQ airflex 12 or 14000btu portable ac unit (ive ordered the 14000)

the reason I say this is that they do a special venting kit/comfort kit with the airflex models. there about 40 notes

and what that allows you to do is run the ac unit in one room, while blowing the cold air through the special vent into another room; tent; wardrobe etc

you cant do that with the others. easily

need I point out how much better it is to be able to do that. for drying it means that you can seal the room or tent and not have to worry about growing smells being vented outside with the hot air, as the units have to be vented, and therein lies the snag with using one in the 1st place

and for growing it means that u can have the ac outside the tent and the cold air blown in direct, instead of directing it towards the vent flaps or worse, having to fit it inside

oh and there's no fitting bro, not with the portable ones - the only thing ul hav to do is fit 1 o' them window seal kit from Argos/your favourite internet retailer. there approx £20 and its fits around your window frame with some velcro tape. thats the whole installation, unbox the ac unit and peel the back off some velcro tape for the window seal (as you have to vent the ac hot air)

hope it helps

mystic

• Like 1