Regs or Fems

MindSoup

Just now, MindSoup said:

@Revive yeah that's the issue I don't really, but I could do a seed run and make the whole lot into hash or oil or something, I'll see how well the next couple of crops go, if I'm a bit less generous with mates etc then i should be able to make them last long enough to do a seed run through winter into spring. I kind of want an excuse to grow out my Mango again anyway and I'm not too worried about picking out seeds while I skin up.

Yeah I know you make good use of the lil space you have at home to grow so thought there may be a sacrifice to be made somewhere..

Picking beans out before skinning up isn't a biggy really, pain in the ass when your stoned sometimes lol

Your doing a good deed here bruv so just go with what works best for you :yep:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've never grown a fem or auto indoors in 10 years.  That's not ripping on fems etc, all the interesting Strains and breeders to me are regular photos.

Outdoors this is our 5th season growing,  I'm gonna swing the pendulum fully the other way and say auto fems :D  (fast fems at a push if you want to really get into the breeding!)

It's heart breaking the amount of bud you chuck away from rot in Oct/Nov from photos. I struggle so hard with the waste!  Being able to harvest in July/August from late April/May seeding and keeping 95% of your crop just makes so much more sense in the UK.

Edited by GreenOval
  • Like 1

Just now, GreenOval said:

I've never grown a fem or auto indoors in 10 years.  That's not ripping on fems etc, all the interesting Strains and breeders to me are regular photos.

Outdoors this is our 5th season growing,  I'm gonna swing the pendulum fully the other way and say auto fems :D  (fast fems at a push if you want to really get into the breeding!)

It's heart breaking the amount of bud you chuck away from rot in Oct/Nov.  I struggle so hard with the waste!  Being able to harvest in July/August from late April/May seeding and keeping 95% of your crop just makes so much more sense in the UK.

Think about the bud distribution on the cola on your next grow and try and avoid strains with fat dense donkey knob colas. I've just chucked two main colas. Having my eyes on this issue closely this year, As much ventilation as you give the plants, there are unvoidable damp-holding voids between the buds once they go over a certain density. My solution with the next grow is to do away with and pinch out the main cola and bring the lower ones up to take its place.

• Like 3

@MindSoupIf you do both, then the males can be BXed by members into the fems as an option to keep the vigour up as they get inbred. Most would plonk for fems is my guess.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

Just now, catweazle1 said:

Think about the bud distribution on the cola on your next grow and try and avoid strains with fat dense donkey knob colas. I've just chucked two main colas. Having my eyes on this issue closely this year, As much ventilation as you give the plants, there are unvoidable damp-holding voids between the buds once they go over a certain density. My solution with the next grow is to do away with and pinch out the main cola and bring the lower ones up to take its place.

Thanks Man, totally get you here. 

I've recently cropped two RGS auto mazar - I've even topped autos this year due to the dreaded rot outdoor - these two were in my garden and watched closely and still off the back of this cracking early/mid summer weather there was even the smallest amount of rot in 1 of the topped (but still main [1 of 2], if you get me) colas still.

It may just be wet and humidy South Wales.

I have some fast fems still going that I'll really work on bud formation- RGC fast zkittles.  First time we've got on the fast train but hoping they'll be a Sept finish.  I'm skeptical tho 

anyways.....  back to you Mindsoup :george:

I can see the attraction in doing your own outdoor seed run...  having 100's of seeds does weight in your favour.  Whatever you can select and weight in your favour to get any early finish for the UK climate you should go at.  The general temps are slowly getting warmer no doubt but by Sept/Oct and it still being wet that's got high humidity and problems all over it.   "Even more faster fems" :smokin:

Easy to say when you have no idea what it entails 

• Like 1

For mold resistancecy 

Having Afghan#1  Somewhere in the Pedigree 

Is a good direction to go.

Afghan#1 was bred into a lot of gene pools for 

Its mold resisting properties amongest other qualities. 

For A fast outdoor Crop TOP 44 STRAIN is a Must,

it finishes in Approximately 44 Days.

Top 44 was on the Menu a lot in Amsterdam back in the days.

Some of the Old Purple Strains/Lines were 

Specifically Bred For Growing Outdoors in the Northern  European Climate/Hemisphere, Holland Ect.

I  personally would Give TOP 44 A Try Outdoors In The U.K

I have known about the Top 44 strain for over 20 years 

it's a Classic Proven Strain ,as far as my Understanding Goes. 

Thousands of Dutch  have been Growing Balcony Plants for Over 3 decades or so,the Dutch have understood  by now what works outside in the Northern Hemisphere after all this Time.

Soma has got a YouTube Video were he shows/talks about his Plants on the Balcony in Holland. 

Holland & England have more or less the Same Weather ect

So what ever plants are doing well on Dutch Balconies, will also do well in middle of field in Holland & England.

Edited by Skunkman.uk
Spelling mistake
  • Like 1

Forgot about this thread, should probably update you guys really. 

Unfortunately I've had a few security issues at the plot so this whole idea has been more of less abandoned and the girls have been left on their own throughout most of this drought. I'm considering having a sneaky look at some point this weekend, just to see if anything is still alive, but I definitely won't be able to visit frequently enough to do any sort of breeding work. Bit of a shame but it is what it is.... 

• Like 4

@Skunkman.uk

And where do you suggest getting original Top 44 strain? 

also times have changed dramatically over the last 20 years Dutch strains are a bit of a thing of the past , there’s so many more reliable potent outdoor varieties nowadays, things have evolved and you gotta move with the times .. I can’t see many people wanting to grow Top44 strain for personal or other uses so wouldn’t see a high demand for that nowadays.

Edited by Owderb
Quote removed
  • Like 4

@MindSoup that's a shame man , sorta know how you feel, my go to GG spot is now in the shadow of a housing development (far too close for my liking) and the backup slightly better spot is invariably gonna be compromised once families move into the houses and kids start exploring the woods :thumbdown:

:yinyang:

Edited by BilgePump

3 hours ago, BilgePump said:

@MindSoup that's a shame man , sorta know how you feel, my go to GG spot is now in the shadow of a housing development (far too close for my liking) and the backup slightly better spot is invariably gonna be compromised once families move into the houses and kids start exploring the woods :thumbdown:

:yinyang:

Yeah it's a bit of a bummer, but TBF I've been growing at that spot on and off for about 15 years so I've had some use out of it. I'm disappointed but at the same time there's a bit of a relief, growing ganja has taken over my entire life a bit and TBH I was spreading myself way too thin, I think the universe was trying to tell me to calm down and get my priorities in order. The obsession did get me through covid times pretty well but I can feel all the other aspects of my life calling out to me and its time to feed other passions again. I'm sure I'll revisit pollen chucking and GGing at some point down the road, but for now I'm toning it back a bit, might even turn the lights off for the first time in 2 years. 

• Like 1

On 29/07/2022 at 1:02 PM, blerie420 said:

@Skunkman.uk all top44 I see are fem and purporting 53 days minimum, you got a direction you can point me in for the approx 44 days? Would love a look into that

@blerie420

Top 44 in Regular Seems to be Sold out at most seed banks. 

Keep looking for a restock. 

Ring Dutch & Spanish Seed Banks you might find it In Regular. 

I Don't Right Off /Knock The OldSkool Bloodlines .

Things have moved on in the Cannabis World Only in The Electrical Equipment Department. 

I Still Favour The Same Old Weed from Back In The Day. 

I Still Grow The Exact Same Way As I Did In the Year 2000.

9 hours ago, Skunkman.uk said:

Things have moved on in the Cannabis World Only in The Electrical Equipment Department. 

Not true. As @panik said, outdoor genetics suitable for northern climates have come a long long way in recent years, if anyone should know it would be him as he is responsible for a lot of that progression.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the old school weed, but I also like stuff that finishes on time rot free.... 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 4