1.2m x 1.2m (2m high) which Led?

Trashedagain77

Hi everyone basically I could do with some advice on which if any of the current LED lights would be best for a humble 1.2m2 tent. I have little knowledge of LEDS so I'd like to ask the experts. I have always used cfl to mh to hps throughout the stages so far but I have heat issues from May til October using hps. I really want to achieve a few things:

1) lower temps

2)better coverage (currently use mantis) 

3)better spectrums

I also understand that LEDs run cheaper than the Hps but with my meagre usage that's not essential but a bonus all the same. Thanks anyone who can offer advice cheers. Peace. 

• Like 1

Rule of thumb is about 40 watts per square foot, 1.2mx1.2m is 16 square foot so something in the 600-700 watt range. If you can stretch the budget and it will fit in the space a more powerful light you keep dimmed down will be more energy efficient. 

• Like 5

Check out the site sponsor-diyleduk-really helpful although if you want a PAR+ board, looks like they’re all sold out!

• Like 2

I run a 6in airflow with one 12in oscillating fan. Have been doing 4 or 6 small to medium plants under the existing mantis shade. I really rate the mantis shade, always have, but it cannot illuminate all of the tent evenly so I can't use the space at its potential. If I can find the right LED then I will hope to do nine plants or four larger ones. In short I'm trying to get the most out of my space whilst also improving and certainly not compromising on quality. Peace. 

• Like 1

600watt of any good quality Led should do you fine , same space and extract size and 600w cob  set up worked well when i could grow:yinyang:

Edited by Personunknown
  • Like 2

Set yourself a budget and work around that, there's far too much choice available now. I could only recommend the light I have used but that doesn't mean there aren't any others that would suit. Another option is to consider maybe 2 smaller units for a more even spread. Nearly all lights will give an uneven spread. If you check out the new units from the site sponsor you can move the bars about to even up the coverage. Be nice to see what the spectrum is like on those. 

I think you'll be surprised with the quality of the buds and the extra weight at harvest time :magic:

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, grooving said:

Check out the site sponsor-diyleduk-really helpful although if you want a PAR+ board, looks like they’re all sold out!

Par + LEDS are still in stock on their website , i intend to get one when im less skint lol

• Like 3

I quite like the look of the new maxibright Juno , , seems to have nailed it for budget performance on paper.

:yinyang:

• Like 2

Got a 1.2x1.2x2 with a Maxibright Daylight 480w Pro,  expensive but as my entry into leds I love it, better quality of good sized dense buds with leds imo, and solved all my overheating issues, and as people have said there are tons of leds to choose from, look at videos online, look at grow journals on here done with leds in your size tent, then look at site sponsor, good old fashioned honest shop that doesn't rip you off, good luck with your search, you won't look back once you go led, and once you've sorted out any heat issues, lack of, during winter 

:skin_up:

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

Sorry ive not visited this thread for time, thank you to everyone who replied. I will 100 % be investing in a led light for the summer somewhere between the advised 450 - 600 region. I'm not certain which brand yet but I like the look of the attis Pro and I've also always been a big fan of Maxibright gear going back 25 years and never had anything to grumble about. I may stick with the hps gear for the next few winters so I'll only have to worry about heating up the room for half of the day. I will however be having a bash with the LEDs this upcoming summer as I usually have a break due to the gear I use running too hot. Not this summer :smokin:

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Trashedagain77 said:

Pro and I've also always been a big fan of Maxibright gear

bro just to let you know that, yes, a 600-watter will be good for a 1.2m2 space, but ~450W will do that area

ive got a maxibright 480W pro & a lumatek 465W pro (in a 2.4m tent)

& the maxibright does a yellow wee over the lumatek

so dont do what I did & get a lumatek cos you think it might be better. go maxibright

mystic

Edited by mysticriver
  • Like 2

Aren't Maxibright the ones that are having problems with them dimming themselves to half power though? 

Apparently there have been a good number with this issue. There was a thread about it I think. Not the smaller units but the big 660w ones. 

• Like 2

In their defence they're probably one of the most popular/common brands of led light in this country so you're bound to hear more about their failures. Most electrical goods that go faulty do seem to do it within the first few weeks of use so as long as you have a back up it's no problem as they're under warranty. I imagine a good few people have their old hids still gathering dust, I know I do. 

• Like 2