Relocation , location, location

Gnarkill102

I have not had a grow on since last autumn , had a small stockpile and was doing a lot of DIY in the home so didn't have the time/space.

I have now floored my loft and moving there, its one of them thick insulated lofts in new builds so i had to do the stilt floor to lift it over it without crushing the insulation. 

I have noticed some environmental issues if the suns out its melting up there I've seen as high as 31oC , mean while today its only 14oC as its cloudy 

Now i can heat the tent i have small heaters and , heat matts and thermostats but concerning if temp reaches over 31oC for a long period of time. I've set up to vent directly outside so hopefully will keep it cool enough. 

I only started out 2-3 years ago after discovering how well nice mellow strains , low - medium THC and a good portion of CBD has been for my Anxiety , i used to suffer panic attacks regularly and feel ill all the time with worry. 

GP's were no help , here's some beta blockers and SSRI's , never worked.

I don't even use all the time i keep it for my days off and that's been enough to control my anxiety , simply due to fear/work getting caught etc, i have not had a panic attack in 2 years and it feels amazing i enjoy life again , the only worry i have now is being caught lol 

Forgive my naivety  , but are helicopters a real thing when loft growing lol  Dr. Greenthumb's 'Sizzlean' screen ? lol 

My setups small due to oddly placed roof beams in the way , i have a 60x60x160 and a 120x60x180 tent using LED's. I only need a couple plants at a time as its solely for me. 

I'll probably avoid growing in winter as will get too cold up there and more obvious , or am i being para.

Summary questions : Max temp permissible and for how long ?

Concerns with growing in roof spaces being spotted ? 

Also looking for a new LED unit for my 120x60x180 tent 1.2m wide and 60cm breath so would need to cover that area.  I usually grow small autoflowers. i cant find bigger tents to fit in the spaces i have unfortunately.  

Open to recommendations on lights considering the Spiderfarmer SF2000 

• Like 2

Just now, Gnarkill102 said:

I'll probably avoid growing in winter as will get too cold up there and more obvious , or am i being para.

For me it's the other way around - I try to avoid the summer months. Winter is easy - heat mats and an oil rad does me just fine.

Summary questions : Max temp permissible and for how long ?

You'll be surprised at the temperatures the plants can withstand, but when you start hitting the 40s you'll definitely notice the drop in yield. Low 30s isn't an issue, high 30s is when I start becoming concerned.

Concerns with growing in roof spaces being spotted ?

Nope. I bet my roof glows like crazy lol  But then perhaps this is more dependent upon the area you live in.

1 minute ago, Gnarkill102 said:

i cant find bigger tents to fit in the spaces i have unfortunately. 

I had the same issue. There are specific tents designed for attics that are shaped to fit. I have a newer house too and the tents never seemed to quite match the pitch of my roof. In the end I built my own custom room. If you want to get the most out of your space, it's probably the best way. Obviously will cost a fair bit more and take a bit of effort though.

4 minutes ago, Gnarkill102 said:

I usually grow small autoflowers.

Sweet Seeds Sweet Gelato/Runtz/Sweet Z for some stunning flavours and decent yield, also very forgiving I find. Mephisto for some variety and different flavours - can be more fussy.

• Like 4

I been growing in the loft for years, winter and summer. Winter can cost quite a bit to heat and yes summer can hit mid 30's in the day and that's when my lights are off. I only flower in there so don't have the problem of having lights on in the day. Not really had any problems with the plants though, as long as you keep them watered enough. 

Have you ran the extractor up there when it's been hot? I wonder how much difference it will make to your temps.

I wouldn't worry about helicopters, I used to run Hid lights up there and some of neighbours roofs would have less snow than me, I know the house across the road has a boiler in the loft though.

As for light recommendations I can't really advise you, I've only ever used one led. There are plenty of options other than spiderfarmer though, not saying there is anything wrong with that though. The site sponsor still sells the Par+ 240w which would be a good bet.

• Like 2

Just now, KC said:

The site sponsor still sells the Par+ 240w which would be a good bet.

I'm not a light nor LED expert at all. I have two LED units currently, have had four in total.

I absolutely love the Par+ 240. I love the footprint of it (perfect for my room). I love the fact the ballast is separate to the light itself so can be moved outside the room. It's fully dimable and the build quality is extremely good on it. The pics on the website really don't do it justice imo. Was very happy with that purchase.

• Like 2

Just now, SkyRider said:

For me it's the other way around - I try to avoid the summer months. Winter is easy - heat mats and an oil rad does me just fine.

You'll be surprised at the temperatures the plants can withstand, but when you start hitting the 40s you'll definitely notice the drop in yield. Low 30s isn't an issue, high 30s is when I start becoming concerned.

Nope. I bet my roof glows like crazy lol  But then perhaps this is more dependent upon the area you live in.

I had the same issue. There are specific tents designed for attics that are shaped to fit. I have a newer house too and the tents never seemed to quite match the pitch of my roof. In the end I built my own custom room. If you want to get the most out of your space, it's probably the best way. Obviously will cost a fair bit more and take a bit of effort though.

Sweet Seeds Sweet Gelato/Runtz/Sweet Z for some stunning flavours and decent yield, also very forgiving I find. Mephisto for some variety and different flavours - can be more fussy.

Well area wise , theres gingers , irn bru , and wee nicola...

My neighbour along the street got his door put in twice in the space of a week and all they walked out with was 15g of flower , rumour he is a dealer but nobody knows and nobody knows how they got wind of anything.

The loft tents wont fit ive measured it will clip the roof beams , the beams are about 80cm spaced so i can fit a max 80cm wide tent and put between them like i have now lol 

If 30s are not major then it should be fine , as the most ive seen was 31 and i was working up there for hours sweating and hammering drilling etc so i probably raised the temp a bit. The tents are empty at the moment but ive setup some equipment , i left one running for hours to see and the temps at 24oC inside stead and its only 12oC outside the tent so not bad. 

Night colds might be more of a problem , might need to reverse the cycle and have the lights on at night to keep the temps up and off during the day.

Im open to HPS or HID lights but the fire risk concerns me if for example they fell or something , im so para about stuff like that ive actually got automatic extinguishers in my tents lol 

• Like 1

Well area wise , theres gingers , irn bru , and wee nicola...

Ahh, you're a proper northerner? Summer might be kinder for you (and perhaps winter harsher).

My neighbour along the street got his door put in twice in the space of a week and all they walked out with was 15g of flower , rumour he is a dealer but nobody knows and nobody knows how they got wind of anything.

Every area is different and there are certainly some I wouldn't want to grow in. Most people around my way don't openly smoke weed. My neighbours know I do, but they also know that I keep the noise down, take their packages in when their out, move in their recycling bags while they are at work etc, etc. Don't tell anyone and try not to piss off your neighbours too much lol

Night colds might be more of a problem , might need to reverse the cycle and have the lights on at night to keep the temps up and off during the day.

Yep, that's my general cycle too. Lights on over night. It will raise the night time temps over winter and lower the day time temps during summer.

Im open to HPS or HID lights but the fire risk concerns me if for example they fell or something , im so para about stuff like that ive actually got automatic extinguishers in my tents lol 

I'm not going to lie and say the risk is zero/low, as it's not. But I'm not sure LEDs are that much safer than traditional lighting systems, they still present electrical and heat risks.
I've ran HPS & CMH in my attic for quite a few years now. For me, I try to negate the risk somewhat by buying reputable brands and not putting any cheap electrical shit up there.

im so para about stuff like that ive actually got automatic extinguishers in my tents lol 

Best way to be bud.

• Like 2

That PAR+ looks a good light 5 year warranty is worth it on its own 

If you are after an LED, then perhaps drop the site sponsor a PM and they can probably give you much better advice than us on what would be best for your area.
@Ledgrowlights-Adam I'm sure could help :)

• Like 2

Just now, SkyRider said:

Every area is different and there are certainly some I wouldn't want to grow in. Most people around my way don't openly smoke weed. My neighbours know I do, but they also know that I keep the noise down, take their packages in when their out, move in their recycling bags while they are at work etc, etc. Don't tell anyone and try not to piss off your neighbours too much lol

Well i live in middle class spam valley , no council houses , 4-5 bed houses , i cant even smoke through risk of getting grassed on i usually make edibles or vape it now as the smell is less noticeable than smoking , i even bring carbon filter down to the kitchen when baking brownies lol 

Meanwhile my previous house i rented , when i moved in and went to store some boxes in the loft i found a fully equipped grow already there left by the previous tenant hahaha 

My Immediate neighbours are sound ones never home as travels for work the other is an occasional smoker so wouldn't snitch , but i tell no-one.

Edited by Gnarkill102
  • Like 1

Sounds very much similar to where I am. It often feels like I'm the only person around here smoking weed but the neighbours are surprisingly tolerant to it.
Keep the smell down, keep the house looking tidy and don't have a bunch of idiots calling at your house constantly and you should be fine.
I try to do a fair bit of stuff in my garden so it doesn't look suspicious when I am carrying in bags of soil all the time lol
But at the end of the day, if all I am doing is smoking a bit of weed, I'm the lesser evil. They could have much worse neighbours than me lol

• Like 1

Just now, SkyRider said:

Sounds very much similar to where I am. It often feels like I'm the only person around here smoking weed but the neighbours are surprisingly tolerant to it.
Keep the smell down, keep the house looking tidy and don't have a bunch of idiots calling at your house constantly and you should be fine.
I try to do a fair bit of stuff in my garden so it doesn't look suspicious when I am carrying in bags of soil all the time lol
But at the end of the day, if all I am doing is smoking a bit of weed, I'm the lesser evil. They could have much worse neighbours than me lol

Black bin bags with the soil in it  lol

• Like 1

I used to do that, but thought it looked even more suspicious lol
Now I just move it from my car to the shed, then wait till midnight and move it from the shed to the house.

Do similar with my used soil. Wait till midnight then empty the pots into my veg bed. Next day I'll usually go and give it a bit of a rake.

Most people are too busy with their own lives to care too much what you are doing. Just don't make it super obvious :)

6 hours ago, SkyRider said:

don't have a bunch of idiots calling at your house constantly

Deffo that one 

On 03/06/2022 at 8:21 PM, Killuminati7 said:

I like growing in me garage in summer keeps nice and cool in there :smokin:

I grew in my garage last year as it was nice and cool and the lights and heat mat kept it perfectly warm enough.

However it wasn't very inconspicuous my garage door faces at close range onto other houses and there's no other entrance. I had it pushed right up the back hidden behind piles boxes etc so you didn't immediately see anything with the door open , however it became rather difficult to hide what i was doing in there eg closing the garage door behind me looked odd etc.

Right ive got one tent setup in the loft and left the fans and lights running for 2 days to check the environment ....

Its dogshit , With lights on during the day for 18 hours and off at night i had a maximum saved temp of 32oC with a humidity of 45% , and a Minimum night temp of 14oC with 70% Humidity .... that was in the space of 24hours.

Ive reversed the lights to be on overnight and off in the afternoon should stable the temps out somewhat and see what that saves on the monitor. Should lower the Day temp and raise the night temp. Might need to go HPS if its getting that cool at night ... will see.

Edited by Gnarkill102
  • Like 2