Mac & Crack, Apollo Black Cherry and Thunder Banana fems in R-DWC

Rural Buddha

Well, it's about time! This evening I have popped 2 of each Mac & Crack, Apollo Black Cherry and Thunder Banana beans in Root Riots. They are now in the airing cupboard and hopefully all will germinate in a few days - fingers crossed.

Many thanks to @Seedstockers-Mark for the chance to try these strains out.

Now to re-build the R-DWC system I took apart so it could have a thorough clean.

large.tester_strains_plus.jpg

2 of each popped in a Root Riot cube with a Root Pak under the cube - once the shoots show I'll cover the Root Riots over with more Hydrocorn.

large.tester_germ.jpg

• Like 12

ABC have popped up their little heads and have been moved to the small tent*. M&C and TB given gentle spray on Hydrocorn and put back in airing cupboard.

* Small tent has a Moby Dick very near to chopping.

• Like 3

Good luck with these :D

I'll be following along :lucky:

My Apollo Black Cherry Regs are coming on nicely(still babies though). 

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 4

Thanks guys. Hopefully I can be a better gardener than I was for the Zero Due, though those still turned out OK :) 

Mac & Crack (M&C) also now popped up and moved to join the Apollo Black Cherry (ABC) in the small tent.

I read in another thread that the Thunder Banana (TB) may take a little longer to germinate. Patience is a virtue :yep:

large.seedlings.jpg

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

Day 23

Where does the time go!

Despite a little 'difficulty' with the R-DWC system - snot blocking the filter and stopping the flow through the pots and fast rising Ph being the main ones - the girls are alive and doing OK.
Seeing the un-insulated pots as I edited these photos gave me the kick I needed to make the necessary foam and correx parts to complete the full set.

Mac & Crack and Apollo Black Cherry

large.day23-mc_and_abc.jpg

Thunder Banana

large.day23-tb.jpg

• Like 7

Day 31

What a difference in only a week! I was slow to top and trim but better late than never :wassnnme:

R-DWC system has calmed down, not really sure was causing the crap in it, I gave it a very, very good clean after the last grow. Possible culprits are old Tribus (used in first tank full), different pH down (BioBizz, went and got Growth Tech that I've used in all previous grows).

I had some Liquid Oxygen to hand so used 150ml in 150lt at one tank change, 75ml in 150lt in next and none in last change. Considering adding Psycho Myco at next change.

Mac & Crack and Apollo Black Cherry (foreground) before topping

large.day31-mc_and_abc.jpg

M&C and ABC post topping and light trimming

large.day31-mc_and_abc_topped.jpg

Thunder Banana before topping

large.day31-tb.jpg

Thunder Banana post topping and light trimming

large.day31-tb_topped.jpg

• Like 7

Grow tent, R-DWC, light, ventilation and feed details:

Tent is a BudBox Pro XXL-H - 120x240x220mm WxLxH, bought second hand off ebay.

R-DWC system is an IWS Pro - 8 pot (I'm only using 6), 250lt collapsible tank, and brain pot. Only customisation is to raise brain pot by 20mm so that pots in tent have a higher water level - and the polystyrene jackets and correx tops.

Hailea HC-150A chiller keeps water temp at ~18°C

Hailea ACO-9730 air pump with 50mm round air-stones. 10 pipe outlet, 4 furthest pots have Y-pieces to double(?) the air flow to them.

AC Infinity Cloudline S8 with Controller 67 and 8" carbon filter, vents in to loft space.

RVK 8" fan with Diffuse Air diffuser, fan speed controlled with SMSCOM 6.5Amp controller.

Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM computer fan does air intake.

Main light - SCOPEX 680 LED, secondary LED SCOPEX 250 (Thunder Banana are under that).

Feed currently:

150lt tap water (hard) - starts out ~0.9EC and ~7.2pH

75ml Mono Mg (to counteract the calcium in the hard water)

75ml Plagron Hydro a+b plus another 50ml a day or two later to get to ~1.5EC

Down to ~5.6pH

Environment currently:

30°C and ~40% day - 21°C and 55% night.

No heater at the moment, humidity by damp towel and mini humidifier - neither ideal but it'll have to do.

I think that covers it.

• Like 5

Day 37 - week 6 of veg

Res changed today - 200lt, 100ml mono, 125ml a+b for 1.6EC, down to 5.6pH.

Tent environment as above.

Now wondering when to flip them, probably in the next fortnight. As the tent is 2.2m high - less 40cm for the pots and 10cm for the light hangers plus 30cm so colas don't burn - allows the plants to get to 1.6m at harvest (without training or scrogging, etc. How much stretch I wonder?

I looked at the Seedstockers website to check what info there might be re flipping these Humboldt x Seedstocker strains - 9 weeks it seems.

@Seedstockers-Mark - not sure if it's a typo but the Thunder Banana Fem has a 'Life Cycle' of 9 weeks whereas the ABC and M&C Fems have a 'Flower period' of 9 weeks, something to check perhaps?

In my post on July 4th re. using Liquid Oxygen, I actually used 2ml/lt so 300ml in 150lt and then 1ml/lt at the next res change (150ml). All seems well in the R-DWC system now, roots nice and white, no sign of snot or slime so hopefully the LO has worked.

ABC front, M&C at back - ABC out growing M&C. M&C leaves not discoloured, checked after seeing the photo - did some nipping and trimming while I was back in the tent.

large.day37-mc_and_abc.jpg

Thunder Banana very tight with huge leaves! Both also nipped and trimmed after this photo was taken.

large.day37-tb.jpg

Edited by Rural Buddha
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Overdue updates - especially as I had taken some photos when I did the trim :rolleyes:

Day 47 - week 7 of veg

Grow going swimmingly, R-DWC is working well now with minimal attention needed. 35g of Psycho Myco added a couple of days after 10th July res. change, also topped up a+b to get ~1.6EC, more down to get pH back to 5.6 - had risen to 6.5 from 5.6 after two days.

ABC front 2, M&C back 2 before and after trimming.

large.day47-mc_and_abc_before_and_after.jpg

TB before trim

large.day47-tb.jpg

Huge fan leaves off TB

large.day47-tb-leaves.jpg

TB after a good trim!

large.day47-tb_trimmed.jpg

• Like 6

Another catching up post

Day 58 - week 2 of flower

Res needed topping up as girls are drinking, and growing, like mad. Full res change a few days later - and increased to 200lt. Still aiming for ~1.5EC, Psycho Myco added again as no sign of slime or anything blocking the DWC filter as experienced with the possibly dead Tribus (see earlier posts).

I've had to put a dehumidifier in the the tent as humidity was at 70%, sometimes more. The warm nights are helping with heating - none required - but not helping with the night and day high humidity at the moment.

Root ball on ABC1 at day 52, had to shuffle plants between pots due to differing heights so took a quick shot. Roots are very white, camera just not showing it.

large.day52-abc1-roots.jpg

Left - ABC1 under a Maxibright 200w LED, TB1 under a SCOPEX 250w on right

large.day58-abc1.jpglarge.day58-tb1.jpg

ABC2 front left, TB front right, 2x M&C at back, all under SCOPEX 680 with lamp at a slight angle due to ABC2 being a tall girl compared to the others. I should have bent her over a bit earlier, ABC1 is even taller by ~200mm (8"). ABC1 is ~1150mm (3' 9")

large.day58-mix.jpg

• Like 10

The ABC will grow the biggest mate in the stretch forgot if you gone into flower yet I struggled with the thunder bannana only 1 out of 5 came through to flower got like stem rot I got blue moby instead of Mac crack I in soil looking good though mate will be following

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another well overdue update.

Day 88ish - around week 6 of flower.

Some autumn colours coming through, still plenty of white pistles  though. R-DWC system working OK, all the 50mm round air stones were breaking so got some 100mm disk ones as replacements.

Also looked at the flow on one side of the system, had to lift one plant out of its pot to clear the pipe of its roots that had blocked it up a bit. Then had to do it on the other side pipe a week later, was a pretty easy fix both times.

Four plants in this shot - M&C back left and right, ABC2 is the taller girl on the left, TB2 in foreground.

large.day88.jpg

TB1 - it's a mess this end of the tent with the two LED lights and a lack of height, I really should have trained these two.

large.day88_tb1.jpgpistles

ABC1

large.day88_abc1.jpg

• Like 3