Crow River

Clearing out the tent today. Here's a pic of the Big Yield Auto Junior rootball - another girl who probably could have rooted out a bigger sized pot.

Interestingly no real tap root - instead a many headed hydra of roots firing off in all directions horizontally from the base of the stem. Maybe this is something that happens with clones?

large.IMG_20220831_132822.jpeg

• Like 3

A wee update on the continuing saga of Dr Jack. Readers with good memories might recall I kept two clones to flower with the aim of collecting pollen.

This I did. The first to flower was in a tent on 12/12. He was a very vigorous chap, and stretched very tall, up to the ceiling of the tent (100cm). Multiple tops with lots of pollen sacs. Sounds great, right? Well it would have been, but I was really busy and didn't check in on him for a couple of days. Opened the tent and a snowstorm of pollen greeted me. :wallbash:

I switched everything off, but it was a bit too late. He had spunked his considerable load all over the tent, making it very difficult to salvage much pollen. I chopped the branches and have popped them in a jar of water, hopefully I can catch a few dregs that way from late opening sacs. What a waste. :rolleyes: 

Ach well, I've still got another one by the window. He started flowering in August all on his own initiative. He's got a few decent sized pollen sacs now, but not ripe yet. He's a spindly wee thing, stretched to 70cm with no side branches, except right at the top where he's split into two. He's still in a 1 litre pot, amazing really.

While taking pics to post here, I noticed something unusual in amongst the pollen sacs at the second node down from the top. Pistils, white hairs. Only a few, but unmistakably female. None that I can see anywhere else. Seems this boy has hermied. :rolleyes: At least at that node anyway. Could be a result of root restriction, or stress from interrupted darkness as I'm often in the room late evening and pop a lamp on to see stuff.

Anyway, this could be interesting when he starts spilling pollen as I presume there will be some self-pollination. So I'll maybe get some seeds, but will they be regs? I'm assuming they'll be hermie prone too if I grow them?

Anyway, all fun and games here at Chez Crow... :D 

large.IMG_20220901_170434.jpeglarge.IMG_20220901_170724.jpeg

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 1

Decided to make cobs from some of the harvest from Big Yield Auto Junior.

Took a handful of colas and wrapped them in corn husks, tied with jute twine. Also made a compressed/brick style cob, pressing a bunch of buds using a plastic tube as a former. They were vacuum sealed and are now heating for a day or two to 'sweat' the buds and start the fermentation process.

large.IMG_20220901_214023.jpeglarge.IMG_20220901_214623.jpeglarge.IMG_20220901_225127.jpeglarge.IMG_20220901_225215.jpeglarge.IMG_20220901_231934.jpeglarge.IMG_20220901_233418.jpeglarge.IMG_20220901_233930.jpeg

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 9

The two cobs have done the 'sweat' stage. I've unsealed them and put to dry for a day or two. They seem more compressed than before, and smell different - less pungent, just a sweet aroma. Thanks to @Hombre del Monte for guidance and advice.

large.IMG_20220902_155818.jpeglarge.IMG_20220902_160037.jpeglarge.IMG_20220902_160201.jpeg

• Like 7

I dont think that pollen will be viable after contact with water - thats what Ive been reading. 

nice cobs by the way - do these have any effect if eaten ?

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

I dont think that pollen will be viable after contact with water - thats what Ive been reading. 

nice cobs by the way - do these have any effect if eaten ?

Aye, the water is just to keep the branches alive. Any pollen they have yet to drop will fall on some parchment paper below, hopefully.

As for the cobs, this thread has most of the information you're looking for:

• Like 4

Yeah, it's an empty effervescent tablet tube. I figured out I could cut the base off to make it into a pipe. Then I turned the base around and taped it to the tube. That way I could compress the weed using a tamper (wooden spoon handle) but remove the base to push the cob out when ready.

• Like 3

The two cobs have been drying for a couple of days. I resealed them just now, and put back to ferment for at least a week. Might do a fortnight.

large.IMG_20220904_154616.jpeg

• Like 4

Big Yield Auto Junior has dried and is now curing in jars.

About half the buds from this harvest went into making cobs, so the rest only fits into two jars. A jar of larger buds, and another of smaller and popcorn buds.

large.IMG_20220907_183736.jpeg

• Like 5

@Crow River   Cobs are looking good mate :yep:     Im half tempted to give it a whirl as have excess kicking about at present and will need to buy more kilners if i dont lol 

Will need to do a full reread over the weekend ,  all the best mate  

• Like 4

@OldFord thanks for stopping by. Hope you had a good break. 

Yeah I'm just trying out the cob thing, we'll see how it goes. Apart from the supposed interesting effects of the weed after being cured this way, cobs take up hardly any space and don't need to be stored in jars. 

I had originally planned to use my vacuum sealer for long term weed storage, but making cobs and/or "brick weed" seems like a common sense idea. 

I make dry sift hash too, which is great to vape and takes up very little room to store. Making cobs gives another dimension to processing the weed.

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...

I forgot to post information here about the pollination of one of my Auto Duck plants with some of the pollen I collected from the Jack Herer ‘Auto’ clones. At the end of September I rummaged through what I managed to salvage from Auto Duck 2 after drying (lost most of the plant to rot). Harvested a fair few seeds, more than expected. They are a bit pale, but potentially some of them may be viable.

At some point I'll try and germinate some. It will be interesting to see what a Jack Herer/Auto Duck cross turns out like... If I can get a male and female plant out of these seeds, then there could be some fun to be had taking this cross another generation.

Here are the seeds. Having dried for several weeks, I put them into vials for storage. Added some rice grains in there to take care of residual moisture. Managed to get 55 seeds in the end. 

I'm calling this cross 'QuackerJack'.

large.DSC01578.jpeglarge.DSC01580.jpeg

• Like 3