Springtails in indoor soil?

AnonyMice

I know it's a while since anyone posted on this thread but here's my take on it. I had the same problem in my Wilma system and after thinking about it for a while came up with a novel way of getting rid of them, I put dishwasher rinse aid in with my water, this breaks the surface tension so they all sank and (hopefully) drowned. I emptied my system out a couple of days later, refilled it and they were gone and hopefully won't return.

A good idea,

but…

I think I’d prefer to use a safe non toxic surfactant like Yucca powder etc,

rather than reaching for manufactured chemicals that aren’t intended for food production :yep:

I have a bottle of Horticultural soap for mixing with Neem oil which would also do the same job.

Cannabis plants aren’t all that fussy about what chemicals they’ll take up,

that’s why they’re used around Chernobyl,

to help reduce the amount of radioactive heavy elements that fell to earth after the failure of the reactor.

Atb

:yinyang:

Edited by Shumroom
ETA quote
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

A good idea,

but…

I think I’d prefer to use a safe non toxic surfactant like Yucca powder etc,

rather than reaching for manufactured chemicals that aren’t intended for food production :yep:

They are meant for food products, they are put on dishes while rinsing and then the water is evaporated off leaving any residue from the rinse aid behind.

While rinsing is a little different from drinking a load of it.

See comment you didn’t quote about horticultural soap :) 

Atb

Edited by Shumroom
Eta
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Recently discovered the DE I bought makes an ideal substitute for horticultural soap. Plants also seemingly benefit from the dose of silica, win win.

500ml water in a bottle, one tea spoon DE, shake like fuck (with the lid on) :unsure: add two table spoons of neem oil, shake again vigorously for several minutes then add another 1.5L water and good to go.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/19/2022 at 11:37 AM, Smokey McBongface said:

Went to water the plants last night.. found the drip tray at the bottom of the tent had a infestation of these little fuckers.. :( seriously tens of thousands of them, made me itchy as fuck all over looking at it. Look to be the same type as the ones in your pot @Military Grade did you manage to identify the species? I’ve had a fair few issues this time, perhaps these little shits have something to do with it? I took everything out the tent, poured all of them down the toilet with bleach gave everything a good scrub and hoovered out the bottom of the tent before putting bits back in. I bought a tub of diatomaceous earth have tried using it but seems to make fuck all difference :( each time I water I’m waiting for swarms of the springtails to appear on the surface then spooning and scraping as many out as I can to hopefully keep the numbers down.. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for a soil drench perhaps? Coming up for 6 weeks flower, I have a bottle of neem oil there but from what  I have read it can affect the end taste, even when used as a soil drench? 

@steve98

On 21/05/2023 at 0:17 AM, Smokey McBongface said:

Recently discovered the DE I bought makes an ideal substitute for horticultural soap. Plants also seemingly benefit from the dose of silica, win win.

500ml water in a bottle, one tea spoon DE, shake like fuck (with the lid on) :unsure: add two table spoons of neem oil, shake again vigorously for several minutes then add another 1.5L water and good to go.