Springtails in indoor soil?

AnonyMice

Have my seedlings on the window. In 1 pot I found a few springtails hopping about, and a small woodlouse. Neither I’m hoping would do any damage. Can’t remove the hopping springtails buggers. Will letting the soil dry a bit get rid of them? The compost was kept outside, hope it’s not infested :wallbash:  And hoping they don’t breed. Any advice? 

Some springtails in compost are healthy and a sign of high organic matter in your compost which the springtails will break down.

I like to see some springtails in my compost, lets me know it is alive and well.

Too many springtails (swarm on the top of the pot) will do damage, and will eat roots so will need to be dealt with.

Few different options to go for if you need to treat, my go-to pesticide is generally permethrin.

• Like 3

Move a bit of the surface and see how many are there. I found even when letting the pots dry out they would just hide under the surface. Worth a check just incase it's an infestation and needs dealing with like mentioned above.

• Like 2

Have millions of the lil fuckers in my room but I can't say iv noticed any difference from when I didn't have them? Don't ask about other bugs or il will loose it haha 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Smokey90 said:

Have millions of the lil fuckers in my room but I can't say iv noticed any difference from when I didn't have them? Don't ask about other bugs or il will loose it haha 

Have bugs made much of an impact to your crops in the past mate? Mine are going outdoors in few GG plots when they are old enough 

Mine help me with the gnats that keep finding their way in to the room, I like springtails - never had any adverse effects from having them around.

• Like 3

You just don't want the wrong spices as some actively eat your roots.

I had a bad case that made a plant take nearly two weeks for the pot to dry between watering.

large.20220212_234621.jpg

The plant was doing fine until they rocked up, then looked like this. Lucky I was still able to get some bud from it in the end but it took ages to grow once they took over. They was only in that one pot and not the other 3 that was in there at the same time.

large.20220310_005612.jpg

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 1

I've got swarms in my coco pots and in the run off trays, plants still piling on the weight and are a picture of health.

No till pots were swarming aswell and they were absolutely fine. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's species dependent, it seems most people get lucky and don't get the root eating ones, sucks when you do tho lol

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Went to water the plants last night.. found the drip tray at the bottom of the tent had a infestation of these little fuckers.. :( seriously tens of thousands of them, made me itchy as fuck all over looking at it. Look to be the same type as the ones in your pot @Military Grade did you manage to identify the species? I’ve had a fair few issues this time, perhaps these little shits have something to do with it? I took everything out the tent, poured all of them down the toilet with bleach gave everything a good scrub and hoovered out the bottom of the tent before putting bits back in. I bought a tub of diatomaceous earth have tried using it but seems to make fuck all difference :( each time I water I’m waiting for swarms of the springtails to appear on the surface then spooning and scraping as many out as I can to hopefully keep the numbers down.. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for a soil drench perhaps? Coming up for 6 weeks flower, I have a bottle of neem oil there but from what  I have read it can affect the end taste, even when used as a soil drench? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Smokey McBongface said:

did you manage to identify the species?

All the ones I've had have looked the same to me mate, root eaters and the non root eaters, I'm sure there's some that look a little different but I've either not had them yet or my eyesight is just not good enough lol

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I know it's a while since anyone posted on this thread but here's my take on it. I had the same problem in my Wilma system and after thinking about it for a while came up with a novel way of getting rid of them, I put dishwasher rinse aid in with my water, this breaks the surface tension so they all sank and (hopefully) drowned. I emptied my system out a couple of days later, refilled it and they were gone and hopefully won't return.

• Like 1