What size pump?

mikeydoughnut

Nah then. Right my plan is to automatically water plants. I’m a fan of small pots because my tent is only 180cm. Keeps em lickle n saves me a bit of Heath Robinsoning when the horse has bolted! So not gonna be moving huge amounts of water.

The plan after much thinking is soaker hose to give an even distribution of water. The biggest pot will be 3 litre. So 2 possibly 3 irrigations a day. So more watering events but obviously less water given the coco won’t dry out THAT quick. Firstly I’m going to try 3-5 plants to begin with. So only moving maybe a couple of litres at a time. Going Off that what sort of pump yer reckon would Suffice? 

It’s just for general irrigation as far as I’m aware. I think most folk use it for beds outside but I’m using it for weed :) I think @Owderb has mentioned either using it or knows of folk who have in the past. Apologies if I’ve tagged you mistakenly owd. 

• Like 2

Does that make me a trailblazer :) I’ve gotten a few bits so we can try 2 or 3 different ways to deliver the water. Just a bit of a recon mission :yep:

• Like 1

What are you gonna do?

Small lengths of plain hose connecting the pieces of soaker hose together in a chain or loop or web?

or are you just gonna have the pots touching each other so the soaker hose wont flood yer groom?

Atb

:yinyang: 

• Like 1

Similar to a drip ring but soaker hose. It might work it might not but at the price it is it’s worth a go see what works best. In principle a small pot is a big pot, but smaller lol So soaker hose it is :) 

Each ring will come off a manifold from a 13>4 tee evenly spaced along with its own valve to +/- flow. Obviously regular 4mm hose and maybe an elbow involved until we’re over the coco then soaker hose coming off a tee.

Like I say, it might work it might not. The experienced folk might think it’s a shit idea but it reyt innit. Worst that can happen I can use the stuff I’ve got to make something more tried n tested. I’ve got a few bits here to try different delivery methods so I’m happy to give each a go n see what happens. Might even do them side by side so the difference is visible 

Edited by mikeydoughnut
  • Like 1

ive got a set up like this just now.  120x60x160 tent, but not using soaker hoses.

i think your pump will struggle with distribution

3 litre pots, maxijet 1000 pump, 13mm hoseand 3 No. of the wilma delivery distributers, feeding blue drippers.

now ive got 12 pots, which tbh is too many for the pump, 8 would be fine.

it goes from res to a tee, then looped with the 3x 4 line distributers in the loop line.

its run off an ardunio seconds timer, but a cheap digi timer would do the same job.

• Like 1

Aye that’s the one @badbillybob. So coming from the res 13mm hose to a tee then looped round from this. 
The bit I’m definitely unsure of working are the individual 13>4 reducer tees evenly spaced around the loop and whether I can get enough pressure so as to negotiate too much time lag between water arriving at each tee. As you say I suppose it depends on how many I intend to feed with it. The idea is a trial in one of me 120x60 tents so probably 3 maximum. If I can get to grips with it n work it out I’d like to run multiple mini plants to have a right good root through all these seeds I’ve got. 

• Like 2

@mikeydoughnut

Why not just do this mikey...large.SSCN0973.JPG you can have more spouts than this if needed.

Have your 13mm pipe manifold in a ring then the 4mm feed lines coming from that.

Make them all the same length and this will even out the pressure across them all.

This is a complete ring manifold, the green and yellow pipe at the top has a 13mm T each end and connects to the white one to complete the circuit

This one has nine feed lines giving 18 spouts and runs perfectly off a 1000 maxijet pump.

large.SSCN1565.JPG

:oldtoker:

• Like 5

Ey up @stu914 :) I’m copying that ring too. I guess saturating a 2L pot isnt that difficult and I’m overthinking it a bit. I’m a tinkerer naturally so perhaps I’m trying to solve a problem that doesn’t exist just to occupy my mind. It’s not the worst idea you’ve ever seen though eh lol 

Im gonna get that maxijet1000 then next payday and one of those wifi timer plug things n see if we can get up and running :) 

• Like 1

What are you planning to do with your run off Mikey?

I'm contemplating an auto watering system too for my little drobe now that I'm doing coco .

Either a coco run to waste affair or perhaps ditch the coco for a recirculating setup like Stu's "Gavie" system.

• Like 2

ive stuck up a simple system for autro watering up to 8 pots in the hydro systems section if it helps

• Like 4

@Wacky Wardrobe I have one of those garland titan trays. They hold about 45 litre(?) they’re 1m x .5m and they’re only 15 quid. The original idea was an NFT res n that but I’m trying to be as cheap as possible and I’ll be about to mop up some watering events but the times I have the lights on mean I could be asleep for one of them. Im sticking with my foolproof marigold n sponge :) I could be pissing in the wind but I don’t mind being laughed at lol 

e2a a recirculating effort scared me due to res temps and root rot but Stu has shown you can do it without a chiller so we’ve a few ideas we can nick :) 

Edited by mikeydoughnut