Piper.180

Hi all. Not sure if this is this right place for so sorry if I've posted in the wrong section. 

I've read conflicting info online about dry amendments and over feeding. Some people say you can over feed with any type of nutrient and some people say that with organic dry amendments the microbes will break it down and only give the plant what it needs so over feeding is impossible. 

If anyone has experience with organic dry amendments, help answering this would be appreciated. 

Whether dry or liquid fertiliser, in extreme doses it’s going to be toxic to plants. 

• Like 1

@fatboy77 so are statements like the microbes only give the plants what it needs false? I'm so confused and just trying to understand how this works. 

Why would you need a well-balanced no-till soil recipe if this were the case?  You could just chuck any amounts of this and that, let the soil sort it out.  That doesn't work, i've seen quite a few failed crops from a poor no-till soil mix. 

@fatboy77 OK thanks, that answers the question.

So how does super soils not overfeed the plant? I've heard of people running start to finish in super soil and only using water. I would assume that super soil is very rich if all the nutes required are in there from day one, just wondering how that doesn't overfeed the plant.

Sorry for all the questions, I do appreciate your answers and time. 

I'm not the best person to answer this, but I'll give you my (inexperienced) take. 

Growing with salt feeds in hydro is like operating a super car, very quick response to inputs.  Growing no-till with water only is like operating a super tanker.  It takes ages to get going as the microbes begin to break down and provide gradual  access to nutrients.  Just because it's slower and less responsive doesn't mean it doesn't need to be measured and balanced.

Eta - I have seen plants suffering excess of nutrients in no-till grows.

Edited by fatboy77

It's a super soil yes, but it's still balanced.

If you over fertilise, then you'll get all sorts of nutrient build ups and problems. The microbes and fungi can only break down so much in a given time. Then there will be too much excess left over and an out of balance soil, lockouts and so on. If you keep adding and adding to the soil excessively and the plant can't handle it, its just building up in the soil and getting worse and going nowhere. Example if you overdo kelp you risk sodium build up over time.  

Well balanced soil working in harmony not nutrients with a bit of soil in it.

• Like 1

@fatboy77

@QFMAC

OK that makes sense, it's a slow break down of nutrients in the soil. 

I've only grown with bottled nutrients but want to make the switch to a true living soil and I'm having a hard time getting my head round it all. People say its the easiest way to grow but it seems way harder to understand LOL.

I suppose its trial and error with the amount of amendments to use and I'm only going to understand fully by practicing. 

Thanks for your help boys it's appreciated. 

• Like 1

I love Notill but I had to get rid of mine when I moved. Once I start permanently growing I'll start another Notill again but for now, bottles it is. 

Check out Build A Soil on YouTube. He has a lot of very informative information on Notill growing. 

• Like 1

Just now, Piper.180 said:

@QFMAC thanks mate will definitely check it out:yep:

Check out his 10x10 growing on his playlist section. There are 3 seasons so far. Excellent place to start.

Edited by QFMAC

@Piper.180 . There are plenty diaries with no till, organic, dry / wet organic nutrients. It's not hard to understand, hard is to have enough space to grow and keep soil food web working. Check early videos (three years old I think) Canuck's grow on shittube. He uses a lot of dry amendments and explains how, why and when to use. 

I'll go against the grain and say it's extremely difficult to overfeed a plant in no till using dry amendments, I accidentally top dressed 500g a pot of ecothrive life cycle ( stoned lol ) which is roughly double of recommended dose for used living soil pots.  Plants were fine and didn't show signs of overfeeding. 

I will agree though about everything having to be in balance which is why I just used to buy premixed dry amendments. 

• Like 2

@ukbudz that's reassuring to hear. When you say premixed dry amendments do you mean a blend? If so what was the brand name.