Just ordered a Wilma system. What substrate should I use?

Greenfingerd

A bit off topic but can anyone tell me what size ID hose fits on to the pump (mj500 I think).

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Is there any way of catching the runoff with a wilma system, for measuring ph and ec?

I cant think of any way to do it.

33 minutes ago, SmokeTester said:

Is there any way of catching the runoff with a wilma system,

The res is catching run off so that's where you measure it bud....just dip it or scoop some out to test...unless I misunderstood your question?

• Like 1

@stu914 Thanks, that is what I was asking. I would like to catch the runoff from the pots, rather than just measuring the rezy.

Must admit, i cant see any way of doing it.

Just now, SmokeTester said:

I would like to catch the runoff from the pots, rather than just measuring the rezy.

Pretty sure the reading will be the same, res or pots...I'm doing a mixed strain grow with a single res and only check the res, no problems...:yep:

• Like 1

@SmokeTester when you’re feeding use a pipette to take up some run off, enough for you to put into a cup and take a reading 

Edited by grower951

how about just putting a saucer under the pot while its watered, catch a bit of run-off, test, chuck back into res?

I think I know what ur saying about wanting to check it before it gets mixed up with all the res contents

good luck wit the Wilma 

put some pictures up if ya like when ya get goin' (we always like to see photographs)

mystic

• Like 1

why would you want to test the run off anyway, its generally the previous feed your testing, not the current one

im using a wilma with coco and drip rings. honestly, i have only checked the nutes going in, it needs topped up every couple of days anyway

pic below taken before i swapped out the stakes for rings.  im using a NFT table as another milma, with stakes, i think the rings are marginally better tbh, 2 feeds a day, for 15 minutes a time.

theyre about 5 foot now

large.3.JPG

• Like 4

@mysticriver I might even put a couple of picy's up, if I get anything not too embarrassing. This is my first time with a wilma, so not sure how its going to go. I am quite capable of messing up, hopefully not this time.

@badbillybob I have the same wilma setup as you but mine is in a 1m2 tent. I also have a modified nft tank, I am going to run one 8lt pot, in a 90cm2 tent, this grow is about five weeks ahead of the bigger one, to strictly speaking its my first grow with a drippers.

I'm a bit paranoid about runoff ec. I had problems with it going way high, feeding at 1.3-1.4 and getting runoff of 5-6. But that was using a bottom feed system with light mix, light mix has gone well down hill recently and I think this was the main reason I had problems. I am now on drippers and coco.

• Like 1

canna coco proffesional plus gives zero issues with ph and EC, its much better than most other brands imho,  id use that...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

canna coco proffesional plus gives zero issues with ph and EC, its much better than most other brands imho,  id use that...

That's exactly what I am using, like all coco it likes a bit of calmag but it looks lovely to handle, nice and airy.

Best of all, it doesn't seem to compact when watered, like other mediums I have been using.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

You can put any medium in a Wilma system. That's the whole point to be able to try different things. Me personally clay balls to fill bottom of pots stop the coir falling out. Fill with coir then put a 2 inch mulch in the top of the pots. Will help with evaporation.