Just ordered a Wilma system. What substrate should I use?

Greenfingerd

Just ordered a Wilma system. An X-Large 8 pot, (11litres) system.

what substrate is best to use?

compost

coco

clay balls

any other

I’ve not used this system but it may depend on how you have started the plants - my experience of swapping mediums was to slow shit right down… if you got cuts in aero then go clay - seeds in rooters go coco or a mix - my autopots with 60/40 are flying 

• Like 2

Thanks @Puffdiddy

i never though about how they are started. I’ve got an aeroponic rooter on its way so I guess it’s clay balls for me..

• Like 2

Just now, Greenfingerd said:

Thanks @Puffdiddy

i never though about how they are started. I’ve got an aeroponic rooter on its way so I guess it’s clay balls for me..

That’s what was suggested to me and it’s worked a treat - I used tap water - carefully phd down to 6 ( only needs a drop - if you fuck up - just start again - I tried ph up down up down - it sucks tiny tiny drop ) 

took me 7/10 days then they just took off - everything out of the aero cloner is growing amazingly!! Kept my temp 26 and rh 95 lid on until lol loads of roots worked for me 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Greenfingerd said:

it’s clay balls for me..

Best bet...nothing else really works in this system, you can also re-use pebbles after giving them a clean with bleach.

Set your ph at 5.5/6 and allow it to drift up to 6.2 over time before re-setting. 

This allows all elements in the nute solution the best chance of being taken up, change res completely every 7-10 days.

• Like 8

@Greenfingerd I have had a Wilma m8.  4 pot 11ltrs one.  I use a aero cloner and straight into little coco pots then. only use the Wilma in flower. Really easy to be fair.  Only thing with clay balls is the water temp could be to hot or cold for the roots. 

• 3 weeks later...

A few months ago I did a wilma grow using fabric pots and the blue drippers under a lumatek 200w attis. I only had enough clay pebbles to fill three pots so filled the other one with just perlite. I grew 4 3wok OG autos from Mephisto, the one in the perlite yielded way more than the others, possibly genetic who knows but the plant was way bigger. Currently got 3 WOS star 47 and a peyote ctitical in just perlite. I used ph perfect nutes with no issues.

• Like 4

Coco is the way to go with drippers mate.

Clay balls are a pain in the arse!!

Canna pro+ and ionic @7ml a litre.

Just veg under a small light in pots of coco...pot up to the willma and hand feed for a week or so keeping them on the dry side to encourage the roots to go looking for water.

Keep watching the base of the pots when you see a few roots then pop on the drippers.

We can work through timings and stuff when needed.

Top up when running low.

Piece of piss method if ever there was one.

Edited by stu sleeper 20vt
  • Like 4

I’ve only ever used clay balls/pebbles in my Wilma systems. I also hand water coco in pots aswell though, generally use a 60/40 mix. 
Always get faster growth, stronger plants and more yield using the wilmas with pebbles, but get decent results with the coco too which is why I still use it from time to time as well. When I use coco I generally need 2/3 extra weeks veg time compared to the Wilma system with clay pebbles.

Personally I’d go for clay pebbles, make sure to give them a real good wash before you use them, once you think they are clean wash them again lol 

• Like 1

a mate of mine uses a wilma, with coco.

hes the laziest b*stard you will ever meet and still knocks out decent results, which is the best recommendation for a wilma you will ever read .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, badbillybob said:

the laziest b*stard you will ever meet and still knocks out decent results

Thanks for the compliments bud...:rofl::rofl:

• Like 3