What went wrong’s sneaky urban outdoor grow.

Whatwentwrong

Hi everyone 

so I finally managed to get my plants out. It was a bit of a mission to say the least.

we had searched our local area for somewhere suitable and think we may have found a little gem

large.9DDA7C3F-B5D0-462A-8B70-0A7552CA9966.jpeg

We scouted it out with a drone first. It’s a small island that is truly inaccessible. You have to sneak into a large yard just to get to the river

large.AF68D53B-23F0-4CA4-AD73-3E800EF0CA1F.jpeg

then we had to use a few ladders (I did fall in, the mud does stink) to obtain access.

large.F5BF810E-0B84-4006-A940-1AC4A4B20496.jpeglarge.7C25629F-F21F-4BB4-AD1D-BB6A7C298117.jpeg

it was quite the journey 

anyway, we got to put plot with about 20 plants. 5 of the fast versions, cookies and gelato (lovely) a few cuts of candy dawg (7 or so) a cookie and cream clone as well as my mum ball and a revegged dosi.

the dosi

large.E25224C0-8AB8-4FFA-A070-E53F09D6F638.jpeglarge.B7534AB7-A4B0-4015-9C25-9A73ABED219E.jpeg

the mum ball (candy dawg, wedding glue and cookie and cream)

large.8BE8F6BF-324B-4E05-A381-2D94A38E3B45.jpeg

and the box of cuts and seed plants

large.70BFACA8-99B5-4815-946C-1023D80F8ABD.jpeg

so here is a seed pants planted

large.1F7A4E1C-7B70-4F4D-8257-8594736381F6.jpeg

a clone

large.3E1A5D12-ED5F-4276-BFBA-38F52C3179C5.jpeg

large.DF70F1B9-031C-47D4-A43B-159916846BA8.jpeglarge.2FFC1AC5-4D5F-469A-8211-1466764ADDAE.jpeglarge.3E208000-16B3-4171-A4B1-EACB22E3F43A.jpeg

so that’s the plot, let’s hope it produces.

thanks for all the seeds @Seedstockers-Mark

• Like 28

Looks good mate you deserve a good grow just for the effort top job 

• Like 4

Looks a great spot but just an fyi. It appears you've planted in ground that is a patch of common reed grass/ phragmites australis. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phragmites_australis#/media/File%3APhragmites_australis_-_NASA_Tracks_an_Environmental_Invader_(48049936657).jpg

It will be 6 foot plus in 2 in two months time mate

Thats why there's not currently much vegetation therw and the plot seems clear because the grass last year outcompeted just about everything and formed a dense jungle of biomass

Other than that the plot look great mate 

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 8

@blackpoolbouncervery observant!

That does look a lot like p.australis , at a glance I assumed it was just allium ursinum or maybe a bit of young feral crocosmia but on further inspection I'm in agreement with you.

:yinyang:

• Like 4

@BilgePump not the right habitat for wild garlic and crocosmia doesn't grow from a stalk with alternating blades like plants in the poacea family and as you know is a brighter lime with thinner blades.

Couple of the pics I recognised it straight away and then looked at the other pics of the plot which being clear was confirmation . 

This pic screamed at me 

large.3E1A5D12-ED5F-4276-BFBA-38F52C3179

Looks just like when your in the thick of a reed grass bed 

The stuffs like slender bamboo 

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 10

@blackpoolbouncer in my defense I did only glance at it but yeah yer absolutely correct.

Im up to my eyeballs in cordateria today , right pain in the grass that is too 

:yinyang:

• Like 4

On 02/05/2022 at 10:24 PM, Whatwentwrong said:

that’s the plot, let’s hope it produces.

Good luck dude.. cracking plot that.. get some protection cages around those girls before the local wildlife munch them..

Pulling up a pew :yinyang:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Looks a great spot but just an fyi. It appears you've planted in ground that is a patch of common reed grass/ phragmites australis. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phragmites_australis#/media/File%3APhragmites_australis_-_NASA_Tracks_an_Environmental_Invader_(48049936657).jpg

It will be 6 foot plus in 2 in two months time mate

Thats why there's not currently much vegetation therw and the plot seems clear because the grass last year outcompeted just about everything and formed a dense jungle of biomass

Other than that the plot look great mate 

thanks man, the plot is easy for us to get to and we were going back soon so we’ll do some weeding. It’s pretty secluded so should be ok.

thanks for the heads up. Should be easier to pull when it’s a bit taller.

• Like 3

Thick cardboard would be my approach ASAP with optional organic mulch over the too if your feeling fancy. Might struggle trying to eliminate that by hand

• Like 6

Have a similar plot problem except mine was knotweed .

@blackpoolbouncer is right, suppression and mulch will do you well as a short term fix, if you  want to invest after this season, rotavate a patch and seal it off with thick matting under it, something they cant easily get through and reclaim the soil with.

I've covered it with old carpet, then a bunch of tarp. It's a lot of work, but if you can replenish the soil yourself youl find yourself with a fairly decent spot for a couple of seasons at least

• Like 5