Is burping necessary???

Piper.180

Everyone I know who uses them say the same mate and it's quite well known that this is a side effect of using them.

Pretty sure @FarmerPalmersNT did a side by side. 

• Like 1

They make a boveda pack called the 'terp protector', necessary because as @blackpoolbouncer says they rob your terps.  Not sure if the terp protectors are any better.  Still unnecessary either way. 

@fatboy77 this dry took 14 days which is the longest dry I've had so far. Its normal 10 days but I've had stuff be dry over dry in 7 days before when my dry environment was terrible. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Everyone I know who uses them say the same mate and it's quite well known that this is a side effect of using them.

Pretty sure @FarmerPalmersNT did a side by side. 

I did yeah across a few strains ages ago, exact same conditions. And yes. They definitely reduced smell. Haven't touched them since. Others will swear blind they don't but I'd always say try it for yourselves. If they don't then maybe the weed was mids anyway. In which case crack on.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, fatboy77 said:

They make a boveda pack called the 'terp protector', necessary because as @blackpoolbouncer says they rob your terps.  Not sure if the terp protectors are any better.  Still unnecessary either way. 

I'm pretty sure the 'terp protector' ones make no difference and are they same as the old packs just with a new label. I've found that Boveda packs have no place for curing weed and should only be used it the weed is over a year old.

• Like 1

Just now, Military Grade said:

should only be used it the weed is over a year old.

That I will never know.  The likelihood of me ever having weed that old is more remote the Boris telling the truth. 

Can't see it being better than a fresh leaf though.  Adds smell, not removes it, and is free. 

Without bovedas, I'd get some funky smelling jars, with bovedas, no more funky jars. All weed loses smell gradually. By 18 months, any smell has long since left the building, bovedas or none. lol

• Like 1

As a plot twist, I'm seriously impressed with the GroveBags. Cheaper than large jars and comes with TerpLoc tech which is a corner valve type compartment which acts like a built in boveda. Checked last years harvest and amazingly look like I'd just closed them back in Nov. Looked and smelled just as fresh . Anyone want to experiment using them, I totally recommend them for smellproof longterm storage. Not many hydro strores sell them, I found one out west selling the bigger bags, all small bags always sold out. For those witrh instagram, the GroveBags are what most US dispensaries use for retail. You can even get your company logo printed onto them.. One day folks... (although probably never in the UK lol ) 

Edited by Slippy One
  • Like 2

On 02/05/2022 at 7:21 PM, ratdog said:

sounds fine to me, i like to bend the odd top bud when dry and see if it will snap the stem inside with a crack, if so it's dry enough.

it doesn't have to be bone dry, in fact if the buds start to crumble when you handle them it's too dry, i then add a couple of fan leaves to the jar to bring it back a bit.

Yeah, I have actually overdried plants this way before.  Generally, as a rule, I only wait for the *smaller* stems to crack when bent.  If you wait until the thicker stems have dried out, you generally have waited too long.  But again, it all depends on your environment.  My (undisclosed location) is particularly dry, so I need to keep an eye on them.  I know people often say 10 days, but tbh mine are usually ready to jar after 7.

@Piper.180 If you get little fishtank/reptile tank humidity detectors, they can sit quite nicely in a large mason jar if you are worried about specific humidity.  I did that when I was first growing but I'm pretty good at judging by eye, scent and feel now.  However if you do do that, 50-55% humidity in the jar is ideal, over 60% is probably a little moist and under 50 probably too dry.
About half the time I need to 'burp' a few jars but usually its okay if you follow my above advice on stems.  There's no substitute for experience though! x

• Like 3

I don't think burping dry weed is necessary, I just dry mine and vac pack it, keeping oxygen away from it is the key for me. Somewhere dark and cool is good too.

@Slippy One  Are those Grovebags reusable? I seen a shop I use selling them online, was thinking about giving them ago. I reuse my vac pac bags when I can, but each time I use them they get smaller as you have to cut open and reseal, it soon shrinks the bag.

• Like 1

@KCtotally reusable, just don't heat seal them. I find the closure to be pretty robust, not a whiff of smell made it through so far and if I'm honest, the buds in the grovebags look better than those in glass. Try it and see, I won't be buying glass again.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Micamoo said:

Yeah, I have actually overdried plants this way before.  Generally, as a rule, I only wait for the *smaller* stems to crack when bent.  If you wait until the thicker stems have dried out, you generally have waited too long.

I came to the similar conclusion, i had a plant that the steams wasn't snapping and just folded yet had been drying for 2 weeks, so i harvested it anyways and then it say in the jar only at 55% too low, Snap test don't seem full proof.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Military Grade said:

I came to the similar conclusion, i had a plant that the steams wasn't snapping and just folded yet had been drying for 2 weeks, so i harvested it anyways and then it say in the jar only at 55% too low, Snap test don't seem full proof.

I agree.

I go 3-5 days hanging in the dark. 7 days in a cardboard bag. 4weeks in glass jars as a rule of thumb.

Your buds want to be pliable when dried not crunchy.

• Like 1