Is burping necessary???

Piper.180

Hi all I was wondering if burping is necessary. I read conflicting info online, some say you need to release gas or renew oxygen in the jar and some say as long as its dried properly then there's no need to burp and the jars can stay closed. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

7 minutes ago, Piper.180 said:

as long as its dried properly then there's no need to burp and the jars can stay closed. 

:yep:

• Like 3

@ratdog thanks for the help mate. My bud in the jar is reading 61% humidity after 24 hours. Am I good to leave this now? I've always burped so I'm really nervous about just leaving it, but burping multiple jars is a pain I could do without LOL. 

A couple of burps for freshly trimed 3L jars over the first month, then cool and dark place. I also use boveda as they keep the jars smelling good. I've been using the same bovedas 2 years now.. :yep:

• Like 1

Just now, Piper.180 said:

Am I good to leave this now?

i have never read humidity in jars mate, but if the stalks snap clean then you will be fine.

i never use anything, just jars and my weed smells as good as it should!

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 3

I burp for a week or two, then usually forget about em, never had any mold issues.

• Like 3

@ratdog I didn't get a clean snap in half if that's what you mean. I did get a loud crack but the stem was still attached by the outer fibers. 

• Like 1

Just now, Piper.180 said:

I did get a loud crack, but the stem was still attached by the outer fibers. 

sounds fine to me, i like to bend the odd top bud when dry and see if it will snap the stem inside with a crack, if so it's dry enough.

it doesn't have to be bone dry, in fact if the buds start to crumble when you handle them it's too dry, i then add a couple of fan leaves to the jar to bring it back a bit.

• Like 2

@Mugwuffin I've only had mold once and that's when I jarred way too early. I've read that burping gives that Hay smell, which I do get but after a month curing and burping the buds smell better but still that Hay smell is still in the background. I was trying to avoid that Hay smell completely. 

I guess thats what burping does, lets what ever gasses are causing that smell out, I burp for about an hour everyday at first. No hay smell after a month here, I think it the best after at least 3 month imo.

• Like 2

@ratdog thanks mate. Getting the jarring timing dialed in is hardest thing for me so far. I've gone from jarring too wet to jarring too dry. It's all trial and error I guess. 

• Like 1

@Mugwuffin I haven't got the will power for a 3 month cure LOL. Best I've done is some runtz that went 2 months and was a lovely smell and taste. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

A couple of burps for freshly trimed 3L jars over the first month, then cool and dark place. I also use boveda as they keep the jars smelling good. I've been using the same bovedas 2 years now.. :yep:

Try without them. They are robbing your smell if you didn't know

• Like 2

@blackpoolbouncerI didn't use them for over decade, the packs keep them smelling good 12+ months. In saying that, 60% of last harvest went into Grovebags with their ziploc curing tech so jars are almost obsolete now.. :yep:

• Like 1