Curing help

ChampagneSuperGrow3r

Hello good folks,

I've just trimmed up some amazing smelling Blueberry Cheese and popped it in a jar with a 62% humidy pack. Small twigs all snapping nicely, i'd say they were all dry.

A day later, they're not smelling so amazing and sort of turning towards the hay secant. Why is this, even after a day? 

Don't want this amazing smelling flower to turn into a jar of hay, any help greatly appreciated!

That's a good sign, just keep burping the jars for another couple of weeks, you will notice the smell evolve ;)

• Like 5

Oh right, i thought it would develop from the get go, not begin to turn the dreaded way we all fear. Thanks for the info

I bought some of those humidity regulator packs over a year ago, 

but I decided not to use them as I've read that they can sometimes cause a reduction in flavour. 

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 3

My crops are rarely nice-smelling in the jar, but they definitely don't smell like hay in the grinder. I'm kind of glad it doesn't stink out the house like some strains used to.

I used humidity packs a few times, and I'm no longer sure what they are useful for. Weed seems to sit comfortably well below 62 and in my experience they do nothing to rehydrate an overdried plant, just raise the RH of the air it's in.

• Like 2

Drying and curing are 2 different things. Better to do as advised and then once dry place in the jars. 

Curing to some can take months as the longer you leave it and just burp the jars the nice the smoke comes... so they say!

I've never grown weed to cure longer than 2 months and that's basic start to finish smoking so I'm no even curing it lol but I gave a friend some over a year ago and they never touched it so it was really nice ti try cured weed over 12 month old, was it any different? Was it fuck lol

Still got me stoned all the same but nothing was really noticeable in comparison 

Edited by Darknight420710
  • Like 2

Just now, Darknight420710 said:

I've never grown weed to cure longer than 2 months and that's basic start to finish smoking so I'm no even curing it lol but I gave a friend some over a year ago and they never touched it so it was really nice ti try cured weed over 12 month old, was it any different? Was it fuck lol

Still got me stoned all the same but nothing was really noticeable in comparison 

Was it very dry when you gave it to them - if too dry cure will stop and wont make a difference how long they kept it for.

• Like 3

@highgroweryes definitely dried and came out my jar as I was smoking it.. as some do we give a little to close friends to try and get feedback off them but this one wasn't really a smoker and just left it in a glass jar lid on in his cupboard. It wasn't until I was moaning saying I'm struggling to make what I've got myself last etc and then he said.. oh I've still got that smoke you gave me and I wasn't going to refuse lol

Not sure how curing works because that's what I thought it was.. just leaving dried weed to mature. 

It has to have about >60% humidity level in order for cure to happen - buds need to have a sort of spongy marshmallow feel to them so they dont just crumble if you squeeze them.

I used to fuck up and over dry but really it is worth making the effort to cure properly considering the time it takes to grow - i find i smoke less properly cured bud than not as the smoke does improve as well - im trying to get some grove bags to see if they are as good as the reviews say - ie chop and hang for until dry enough for jars and then just bag up and leave - no burping or anything required and they keep the humidity at the correct level without those humidity regulator packs.

Edited by highgrower
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, highgrower said:

It has to have about >60% humidity level in order for cure to happen - 

Curing stops at 55% rh.  I like my jars to sit about 58, then I leave the bud for an hour or so before rolling, beautiful toke. 

Weed at 60rh isn't very tasty imo. 

Drying and curing really is the most difficult bit. I’ve always sort of guesstimated my way through. I could observe the environment via the inkbirds but jarring up I was always guessing. I remember @fatboy77 making a comment along the lines of ‘use the humidity pack things n that if you must just to learn what a dry/cured bud looks/feels like then fuck them off’. That stuck with me for this time around. I wasn’t sure they were ready to jar in all honesty so took a test branch with juicy fat nugs for a humidity test and left them over night with 2 tiny hygrometers. Didn’t budge from over 59 so went for it and trimmed n jarred everything. Non of my stems were snapping they’d crack a bit or split a little. Be careful @ChampagneSuperGrow3r that the snap isn’t too brittle. I’ve done that before and ended up wi bone dry weed. Use hygrometers rather than those packs. I’ve heard they zap taste from yer weed so I got a pack of 8 digital hygrometers for about 9 quid or summat. At least you know where you are and can adjust if needs be rather than assuming the pack is doing what it’s supposed to. 

e2a - sorry I went on a bit there didn’t I. I’m reyt baked and only the internet to talk to lol Soz 

Edited by mikeydoughnut
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, fatboy77 said:

Weed at 60rh isn't very tasty imo. 

Makes a mess of your grinder too lol

• Like 2

I use a plastic bucket, the brewing buckets, once dry, then every few days open up and mix it up a bit, usually it tends to smell strongly of the stronger turpine, ie fuel or pine or earthy, once you break up the buds for grinding then you get the more subtle aromas. 

• Like 1