First time nft grower, some help, mainly on nutrients

YouCantSeeMe

16 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

Once, when/if, I get it down in a logical/repeatable way I'll do a thread. I'd like it to be modular, so that the nitrate part can be tweaked... if I can. 

That'd be appreciated if you do 

15 hours ago, stu914 said:

Yes they are, I've consistently had top class results over ten years and choose not to listen to rumours about the company.

Good to know, I'll look into them for my next one, out of my price range right now but I have used them many years ago, threw out a couple of bottles of them last week as they'd leaked out. 

Found growers ark, also reasonably priced so my options currently are shogun, ionic and growers ark. If I use any of these I will save a bit compared to masterblend etc so have the option to add an addative if it or any are recommended? 

• Like 1

@YouCantSeeMe  For nutrients I would go for the dry powder type every time. Cheaper than premixed and, compared to transporting liquids, better for the environment. I’ve not had any negative experiences since switching a couple of years ago.

I'm admittedly not the most sophisticated cannabis grower - I just hand water plants in pots - but I grow tomatoes in an NFT type system. I would definitely recommend getting a second cheap water pump as a spare, because it's not good to be without a pump if your main one stops working!

Also, I don't bother cleaning my reservoir much during a crop cycle. Microorganisms can be anywhere in the system, so cleaning just the res seems a bit futile. I sometimes add thin bleach into the feed solution at res changes, at 0.5ml per litre, which isn't enough to affect plants but will kill most nasties (1% hypochlorite thin bleach from ASDA, not the thick Demestos type stuff).

@catweazle1  I considered making my own dry nutrients from scratch a while ago, but decided it wasn't practical. Some of the chemicals are not readily available to the general public …And EXPENSIVE unless buying industrial quantities! I assume they're even more so now, because from what I've read fertiliser ingredients have gone through the roof this year.

Sal