First time nft grower, some help, mainly on nutrients

YouCantSeeMe

Hi all, this is copy/paste from another forum I joined but it seems to be quiet over there hence me coming here, pretty sure this is the right forum for me so here goes:

Hi all, my names redacted, 

I'm in the process of setting up my first nft hydro grow and I'm struggling in choosing my nutrients/additives.

Basically it comes down to the cost/effectiveness scale, in the past few days I've researched as much as I can about nutes as you guys call them and it seems that it goes like this, self made is both cheaper and better, gh flora is commenly rated as the best along with Jack's, masterblend and botanicare are alright, advanced nutrients and dutchpro are the devil, sag gff and calex (that might be wrong) are the best of their type and advised. I've seen mention of many others of course but the either aren't available in the EU or when I see the price it puts me off.

I'm not trying to skimp but I am trying to be cost effective. I'd like the best grow I can. Gh flora seems like it'd cost me 100 for a 3 maybe 4 month supply of the base 3, then there's the extras. I can't get jack, advanced nutrients would cost about 75 for the same base supply but devil, masterblend would cost me about 60 for the base 3 but doesn't seem to be highly rated. All this leads me to DIY being the best and most cost effective especially in the long run. But then I get slightly lost in, schedules, amounts and what's needed.

For what I've got setup it's currently like this:

1.3x1.2x2m grow tent (estimated based on the grotank fitting with little spare space and it being slightly taller than me at 6.2)

Gt100 grotank

160l/ph water pump

Dual port air pump connected to 2 air stones

Exhausted carbon filter, fan and ducting on intake

Fan, ducting and active carbon filter on exhaust

Temp/Humidity sensors

Water temp sensor

400w led grow light (I forget the brand, its a few years old but only seen 600hrs use at most)

Doing a test of everything this is what I know.

The water sits between 16.5 and 19 dependant on time of day and if the lights on

The tent sits at 24.5 with fans on, light off and no plants

The air pump causes visable movement of the water (which has a 110ish ppm reading poured from the tap)

The water pump provides a good even flow over the tray.

Air movement is felt in the tent, it slightly balloons when fully sealed, I only mention it in case it's an issue, I doubt it but just in case.

Current plans:

6-9 plants (possibly 3 different strains)

Start off in Coco choir in net/mesh pots hand watered  before transferring to tray

18-6 Veg (I mention this because I've seen people say 14.5 gives a better chance of females, one strain I would like I cannot find femanized so maybe 14.5 would be beneficial) for 4ish weeks (dependant on growth)

12-12 flower for 6-8ish weeks (again dependant on the signs)

Netting will be used for support when required

Lollilopping/sog is an option but is a wait and see kind of thing in some aspects

Here's what I'm unsure of:

Base pH hasn't yet been tested, I need to calibrate my pH tester so that's on order

The tray cover is blue, been debating if I should add a reflective sheet to it or if it'd be a waste of time as eventually light won't get to it when they get so big

What nutes to actually use and best practices/schedules besides the weekly flush and clean of the resivoiur.

So after getting slightly lost now I'm here asking for advice on nutrients in general. Should I take the financial hit and buy something premade or should I bite the bullet and go DIY. If DIY can I get some help in planning out an effective plan for my grow. Eu/amazon suppliers are the easiest for me and I do plan on growing a while although a 5 year supply may be out of my current budget.

Some assistance in this would be greatly appreciated as this is a medicinal thing and the cost is ridiculous on the street when the Dr's won't listen to the fact that this is the best pain relief I have ever experienced.

Thank you all

I grow in a 1.2x1.2x2.0 tent, 2 nft tanks forgot sizes, no forced intake, just extraction. Used shogun nutes for many years, plants grow well and end product tastes good. I've never made up my own nute solution, sounds like a right headache, i would suggest that you invest in pre made solution, start by adding 50% of the recommended and adjust depending on how the plants react. By using an led system you probably won't need the forced intake. 

For cost effectiveness I would just go for ionics hydro feed cheap cheerful an does the job fine 

Tho there are better if ye want to lash oot a bit more cash :yep:

@trichomehi I'm working on the nitty-gritty  of making my own nutes atm. It's certainly not easy. You don't just have to get the right balance, but make sure your choices don't react to make insoluble byproducts that fall out as solids. It's not cheap either finding out.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

Advanced sensi nutes are expensive but easiest to use with good results, money is saved by not needing ph down or ph pen.

Only their base A+B Grow and Bloom are needed and I use a touch of Buddhas Tree PK in flower...

large.SSCN1503.JPGlarge.SSCN1502.JPG

I suggest a heater in the res, set at 20c and replace coco with rockwool or pebbles, ensure a good root system before placing the plants on the table.

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions, both ionic and shogan looks to be a decent price. I assume by one part you mean one part each for veg and flower?

The ionic nutes I've seen on amazon are called Coco grow and bloom, is that the one your referring to?  Either way 33 each for 5 litres or 50 for 5l each of shogun coca a and b is a good price and slightly cheaper than masterblend and the other more expensive nutes. 

Is advanced sensi from advanced nutrients? I've heard they aren't so good and the company is questionable. 

Being my first grow of this kind I don't want to go crazy, if I mess up I don't want to have used the most expensive nutes that then go wasted. I of course don't want to cheap out just be cost effective. I would also like a baseline before I be extravegant or add every suggested nute/addative under the sun (not literally but you know what I mean) so I can see the difference for myself. 

Thanks for the hint on starting with half nutes, the amount needed according to some of the charts just seemed crazy. I have got a bit of a better grasp on it now but I'm still not fully there. Am I right in assuming that ec/ppm is actually more important than matching what the feed charts say? 

As it stands I'm paying 200 an oz at 3-4 a month, spare money is of short supply right now hence the dire need to do something about it and half my costs. Even with the current cost it's better than 20 tablets a day that leave me dead on the sofa anyway. If this is even mildly successful I'll be able to afford the better nutes, maybe a auto pH balancer (milwaukee do one) to make life easier and improve the grow in general. 

I'll likely keep the intake plumbed up but I'll unplug the fan, keeps the intake clean still but saves the electric cost. 

I plan to get this up and running ASAP. The tents ready, i've ordered seeds from sensi seeds (banana kush, white rhino (could only find it non feminised on there) and Jamaican perl, white rhino was some of the best I ever smoked, a friend raves on about the kush and the Jamaican perl just because really) and they are in transit so it's really just the nutes I need to get, and pH up/down if needed.

Is it wise/suggested to start the seeds in water or a cotton wool bud etc then put them directly into the pots/cube (dependant on which I use of course). I know I need to hand water until the roots hit the tray.

Regarding water flow, as long as its a constant flow over the tray is that OK or does it need to be a minimum depth? 

And thanks for the welcome, it's appreciated and I hope to learn a lot from you all, I may even look into this whole grow diary thing lol. 

2 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

@trichomehi I'm working on the nitty-gritty  of making my own nutes atm. It's certainly not easy. You don't just have to get the right balance, but make sure your choices don't react to make insoluble byproducts that fall out as solids. It's not cheap either finding out.

Interesting exercise, quite like the idea of being able to fiddle with percentages and see how the taste changes. Are you doing a diary on this?

The only cena I know of is the wrestler and no not a fan, although I can cope with him as an actor lol. 

Found the hydro one thanks, if I use ionic/shogun would I need anything else besides possibly pH up/down. Is it a good idea to have some kind of root rot meds to hand? Everyone raves on about that southern ag gff but doesn't seem to be available over here, best equivalent I've found is great white. 

I already have the ec meter, just haven't measured the ec of my tap water yet only the ppm

• Like 1

I’d give growers ark a bash mate. This is my first run with their coco feed and it’s the healthiest plants I’ve ever grown. Not expensive either, and they’re very helpful if you have any questions. 

2 hours ago, trichomehi said:

Interesting exercise, quite like the idea of being able to fiddle with percentages and see how the taste changes. Are you doing a diary on this?

Once, when/if, I get it down in a logical/repeatable way I'll do a thread. I'd like it to be modular, so that the nitrate part can be tweaked... if I can. 

Edited by catweazle1

5 hours ago, YouCantSeeMe said:

Is advanced sensi from advanced nutrients? I've heard they aren't so good and the company is questionable. 

Yes they are, I've consistently had top class results over ten years and choose not to listen to rumours about the company.

1 hour ago, catweazle1 said:

Once, when/if, I get it down in a logical/repeatable way I'll do a thread. I'd like it to be modular, so that the nitrate part can be tweaked... if I can. 

Like to see that mate

• Like 1