Last piece of the puzzle

Ecto

Just now, fatboy77 said:

@SkyRider fair one, hope you reuse all that unused compost.  Save you a ton of dough. 

Make it myself and reamend after cycles :yep:

• Like 1

@SkyRider just for good measure, quality flower of 10oz per 10L pot is very achievable and should be seen as normal.  Probably not with autos though, for either metric. 

Just now, fatboy77 said:

@SkyRider just for good measure, quality flower of 10oz per 10L pot is very achievable and should be seen as normal.  Probably not with autos though, for either metric. 

Right... Then we are talking about two different things...
This thread is talking about growing autos in these pots, not photoperiods... That is a very different subject..

You can get a much bigger harvest with a photo period than you can with an auto in a small pot. All you have to do is keeping vegging it out. You don't get that choice with an auto.

• Like 1

But like I said, that's not to say it still can't be done. BPB pulls monster yields from autos, but it's not normal and not easily possible when you are running multiple new strains in a room on a perpetual cycle.

If all I was after was yield I would run a room full of the same photo clones every cycle. Screw taste or anything, just pick the biggest buds and do that. Then I'm sure I'd smash the 50 ounches in 50Ls in my room.

Just now, SkyRider said:

You can get a much bigger harvest with a photo period than you can with an auto in a small pot. All you have to do is keeping vegging it out. You don't get that choice with an auto.

That and the quality, lack of cloning.  Don't get them tbh, what's the point? 

Just now, Ecto said:

Just want to know pot size for 3 autos 12L?  lol 

Not a clue, good luck though bud and sorry for the derail! 

Just now, fatboy77 said:

That and the quality, lack of cloning.  Don't get them tbh, what's the point? 

It's one of those things that until you try it, perhaps you won't be convinced (I never used to be)

The biggest issue with autos is quality - Some breeders are just complete shite. I've gone through quite a lot and not been impressed. But then there are a couple breeders that are very good. The quality of their autos is comparable to photoperiods.

The lack of cloning may or may not be a good thing I guess. Personally, I love not running my second room to hold mothers and clones. Having just a single room is so much nicer (for me personally).

Autos aren't easy, which some say is the appeal of them. But once you get the hang of them, they can be. No potting up required, no changing light schedule and a quick turn around (I plan 12 weeks from cracking the seed).

If you haven't tried them, they are worth a shot, but definitely be careful which breeder you try.

Tried a few autos ower the years an in all honesty the only one I really rated was starryder from dutch passion back when it first dropped years ago good yield good effects nice flavour

No idea what they like these days tho tbf

• Like 1

Just now, Ecto said:

Just want to know pot size for 3 autos 12L?  lol 

lollol

How long is a piece of string bud?

Experimentation is the best way to learn. 11L pots are a great starting point. You can also opt for bigger pots and not fill them all the way up (think I used to run about 14/15Ls in my 18L pots for a while)

• Like 1

Just now, McHazy said:

Tried a few autos ower the years an in all honesty the only one I really rated was starryder from dutch passion back when it first dropped years ago good yield good effects nice flavour

No idea what they like these days tho tbf

They've definitely come a long way lately bud.
I personally rate Sweet Seeds & Mephisto. Sweet Seeds have a couple nice strains I like (trainwreck, sweet cheese) but their Sweet Gelato is a particular favourite. They've also used that to breed some of their newer strains like Sweet Runtz which is also very nice :wub:

Mephisto I think are on another level again. So much so I have a room full of nothing but their genetics at the moment lol

• Like 2

@SkyRider I can't see a positive, honestly.  I don't hold mum's.  Clone, flower and repeat, nothing held.  I get the time cycle but I get regular inspections and smash the shit out of photos. 

I know exactly the kind of fire I'm getting with my clones.  Its taken me over 10 years to gather the six flavours I rate the highest so far.  That's the biggest draw back for me with auto's.  Yeah there might be a quality plant in there, but you can't choose the best from 1000's and keep it around. 

There are no large producing plants in my garden, I only grow fire.  All plants will produce, you just have to tickle em right. 

Just now, fatboy77 said:

@SkyRider I can't see a positive, honestly.  I don't hold mum's.  Clone, flower and repeat, nothing held.  I get the time cycle but I get regular inspections and smash the shit out of photos. 

I know exactly the kind of fire I'm getting with my clones.  Its taken me over 10 years to gather the six flavours I rate the highest so far.  That's the biggest draw back for me with auto's.  Yeah there might be a quality plant in there, but you can't choose the best from 1000's and keep it around. 

There are no large producing plants in my garden, I only grow fire.  All plants will produce, you just have to tickle em right. 

Pro's and con's to both bud. Things like Psychosis aren't going to be replicated in a random auto seed. But imagine if you could find some fire in seed form and it was consistent, would that not actually be a much safer way of holding on to what you love?
Broke my wrist two years back. Spent a week not being able to visit the girls. Imagine if I lost my mums during that time, at least seeds would keep safe in the fridge.

But that is the biggest issue with Autos, I would say 90%+ of non Sweet Seeds/Meph that I've tried I hate. I probably like about 50% of sweet seeds strains at best. Either way, finding the good stuff is tricky. But then, I've grown out Meph autos that I've rated higher than clones I've previously held too.

All depends what you are in to bud. I certainly wouldn't swap a library of clones to go all auto, but there's a place for everything :)

• Like 2

Just now, fatboy77 said:

If you ever decide your growing large plant's in a full room set up you can get a auto crop before the photos fill in the gaps to help pay the rising cost of electricity. Were you store your mother's theirs generally wasted light. That wasted light could be making bud. Outdoor they will proform better then any indoor clone I have ever grown outside. With how far people have come with auto's over the last 10yr imagine how much better they will be in another 10yr? And i can honestly say I have autos now that are better than a lot of a lot of photos that are on the market today. Can give bigger yeilds in the same time as a photos and but just as strong. But their's just as many disadvantages because in this world we live in nothing is perfect :yinyang:

• Like 3

@SkyRider plant numbers is about the only reason I'll buy.  Had a scare recently and had to cut down.  Can't see me staying low for long though so it's still a hard pass.

@brock1 no mum's kept, no dead space.  I had a thread about optimising the 6 month grow season and you wouldn't be beating me with autos.  Outdoor is something I'll never realise due to physical constraints, but that's a good reason, I buy that.

Cheers for the chat lads, those are the first two positive points I've come across for autos.