The Bog - 1st GG

ribenademon

@ribenademon good luck man following along u might wanna throw a few out find another plot incase someone finds one or plants might die or fall over etc best have a few out numbers are key :yinyang:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like you've got your work cut out there pal,

i would look into fixing a platform on the trees if you could,

Use the environment to your advantage

obvs fairly close to the ground and be mindful of the summer vegetation 

not sure if that's possible but just and idea pal

Good luck with you gg 

• Like 1

Auto Tangie - 3
  • Seeds:

Fast Lemon Drizzle - 3
  • Seeds:

Gorilla Haze - 3
  • Seeds:

Seeds arrived from RGSC this morning -plus 2 Auto Wedding Cake freebies. Obviously my inner seed goblin took over and I get more than needed. Definitely not going to run them all, so some will go in the fridge unless I can get out and confirm another couple of sites -but working don't make things easy!

Why not dig a kind of moat style trench using what you dig out to for raised bed edges and fill the middle with coco / compost.  Even a 6’ square would accommodate a few plants. For the effort of prepping and visiting your plot, definitely put more out than you hope will make it. Good luck 

• Like 2

large.meadow.jpg

Got out looking for a back up site, yesterday. Found this place off my big Google Earth list of maybes.

This site, code name The Meadow is in the vague same area as The Bog but is a little more secluded and a lot more sheltered, and the ground is not a bog. More chance of a plant getting grazed here looking at the bits of wool caught on branches and dung on the floor -but that is what the protection thread is for I guess...

Wrote off two others -one turning out to be overlooked by someone's lovely countryside house and the other being guarded by some very unfriendly cows.

Mildly amazed that places I thought were a no-no via Google Earth are seemingly OK and places I thought were genius are absolute toss for one reason or another.

My own cheap arse "pro" tip for site hunting -use Runkeeper on your phone to map where you wander and when you come to a new site you want to remember tap "pause" and then immediately hit "go" again. Runkeeper flags it as a stop point making it easy to check out on Google Earth when back home -I'm sure there are easier ways but I have an old knackered phone so will have to make do with Runkeeper's GPS...

Anyway, better get a move on...

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

No pictures today as the phone is not playing... next time if they are still alive and still there...

Got plants out to the plots -as stated earlier in the thread: very small numbers as only for me and also it is my first go.

The Bog: 2 x Auto Wedding Cake --> got them into an amateur bash at swamp tubes, actually pleased with what I got set up -fingers crossed! 

The Meadow: 2 x Auto Tangie --> Well it is secure and a pain in the arse to get into, I'm happy with that aspect, but the hunking pineapple grass and everything else has grown up very quickly to when I was first out there and found it. I did my best there and then to clear some space but I think this plot is going to be an exercise in learning and future development... poor little plants!

Sites watered and fed.

Got in and out of the area and saw precisely one person a few miles away from the plot areas walking her dogs. :ninja:

Back out in six weeks or so to see how things have gone along.   

Feel like somewhere between a tier one operator (I've always been good outdoors) and a complete and utter n00b idiot who knows nothing. So, it is pretty exciting overall.

Assuming the plots are OK, ideally will get a photo or two at each -and then work out what not to do for next season/how to make things better.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Got out and had a look today:

The Meadow: one Auto Tangie absolutely thriving, lovely dark green leaves, good structure. The other appears to have been chomped by a critter and is KIA.

The Bog: one Auto Wedding Cake doing fine -not as well as the Tangie but OK. The other has a massive cow's footprint through it and is dead, dead, dead. A little surprised as I really didn't think anything like a cow would get that deep into the marshland.

I have learned a lot more about the two plots and about how I am going to approach things next season.

I'm pretty pleased with how secure they are from humans -and I'm going to do things completely differently next time, with a lot more prep and work going into the sites -now that I am confident they are secure. The Bog while lovely in terms of water might move to being backup -and the Meadow take priority, along with a couple of other places I found on the way back.

I will probably still get a small amount of green -so all is not lost. 

• Like 1

I'm fairly new to this game ( my 4th season) so not a expert by any means,

It's a numbers game pal, multiple plants at multiple sites.

Then if you get pests,mould,rippers,etc,etc

You got a chance at getting a harvest.

Agri farmers always work on the basis of an acceptable loss

If course no one wants to lose anything but being prepared is better than not.

You could still get a September crop if you got on it.

atb for next season 

Edited by SHIRE STALKBEANS!
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 2022-05-08 at 6:09 PM, ribenademon said:

large.meadow.jpg

Got out looking for a back up site, yesterday. Found this place off my big Google Earth list of maybes.

This site, code name The Meadow is in the vague same area as The Bog but is a little more secluded and a lot more sheltered, and the ground is not a bog. More chance of a plant getting grazed here looking at the bits of wool caught on branches and dung on the floor -but that is what the protection thread is for I guess...

Wrote off two others -one turning out to be overlooked by someone's lovely countryside house and the other being guarded by some very unfriendly cows.

Mildly amazed that places I thought were a no-no via Google Earth are seemingly OK and places I thought were genius are absolute toss for one reason or another.

My own cheap arse "pro" tip for site hunting -use Runkeeper on your phone to map where you wander and when you come to a new site you want to remember tap "pause" and then immediately hit "go" again. Runkeeper flags it as a stop point making it easy to check out on Google Earth when back home -I'm sure there are easier ways but I have an old knackered phone so will have to make do with Runkeeper's GPS...

Anyway, better get a move on...

are those ant hills??:unsure:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gb1 said:

are those ant hills??:unsure:

Nah, they are big tufts of grass -I always think of them as pineapples with plumes of grass coming out the top. Hard ground underneath and around them.

It is all over round here, I normally trip two or three times when out walking and I'm wearing boots and normally good on my feet.

2 hours ago, SHIRE STALKBEANS! said:

I'm fairly new to this game ( my 4th season) so not a expert by any means,

It's a numbers game pal, multiple plants at multiple sites.

Then if you get pests,mould,rippers,etc,etc

You got a chance at getting a harvest.

Agri farmers always work on the basis of an acceptable loss

If course no one wants to lose anything but being prepared is better than not.

You could still get a September crop if you got on it.

atb for next season 

Ta fella!

Yeah, I think I might get a harvest on a couple if I wriggle.

NEXT season, I will definitely have four or five sites and more plants at each with more work/prep done over the winter season.

• Like 1