Old horticulturist New member

popespliff

9 hours ago, mysticriver said:

welcome to the site brother

are you primarily an indoors, or outdoors grower. both?

mystic

19 hours ago, Gaijin said:

Hi and welcome aboard :) 

You’ll be winning awards here before too long :yep: Happy growing :D 

Hi Mystic After years going for awards as a job im looking forward to growing purely for the fun of it .  Cos i might find out that im of such a competitive nature i cant help my self . Will now go and check your grows out to see if your better than me .:wassnnme:

Cheers PS

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gaijin said:

Hi and welcome aboard :) 

You’ll be winning awards here before too long :yep: Happy growing :D 

Hi Gaijin  your probably correct but it will be for bad speeling :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tooka said:

Welcome @popespliff

Who needs those RHS awards when you've got the UK420 Cream Of The Crop to contend with. :bong:

It will be interesting to see your outdoor grow mate. All the best with it

Hi Tooka  iv not yet decided if its going to be True out doors or in a Green house  or maybe both ! 

Cheers PS  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Welcome to the forum my fellow awardee. 

You will fit right in 

Thanks bpb  Iv just awarded myself a smoke . Looking forward to grafting with UK420

cheers PS

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, popespliff said:

Cos i might find out that im of such a competitive nature i cant help my self

The competitions here are a bit different, one of them has you growing in a pot noodle pot and another one requires a 420 litre pot. There is nothing in between for some reason lol

Welcome to the forum :)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, popespliff said:

Hi Gaijin  your probably correct but it will be for bad speeling :)

lol I think you’ll find we already have some perennial speeling winners around the place 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Welcome to the forum my fellow awardee. 

You will fit right in 

I once grew the tallest sunflower at school…. Can I be in the awardee club lol 

it was 30 years ago but it’s still one of my greatest horticultural achievements!

• Like 2

@e55ex0ldb0y I would usually say no with it not being a gold medal from the rhs but growing the tallest sunflower at school clearly is the peak of horticultural excellence

• Like 4

@popespliff Totally off the subject…. I’ve got a fully established ash tree in my garden that has no sign of dieback that was previously surrounded by other ash trees that are no longer there due to the issue.

There are now tiny ash trees growing in my lawn which I’m plucking and repotting because I think it may not be susceptible to dieback.

Is it worth contacting anyone as I know they are trying to re-establish the species.

cheers

• Like 1

18 hours ago, e55ex0ldb0y said:

@popespliff Totally off the subject…. I’ve got a fully established ash tree in my garden that has no sign of dieback that was previously surrounded by other ash trees that are no longer there due to the issue.

There are now tiny ash trees growing in my lawn which I’m plucking and repotting because I think it may not be susceptible to dieback.

Is it worth contacting anyone as I know they are trying to re-establish the species.

cheers

Hi VN  Im no tree expert so i cant give advice on Ash die back . I like you have what seem to be resistant trees alongside ones that are now almost dead . I see very few ash seedlings now ,a few years ago they were everywhere . It may well be worth making contact with an environmental group . I would think that collecting the Ash keys from this Autumn would be the best way of passing on your trees resistance to other areas . This would also remove risk of transferring any soil borne fungi to other areas.

God its depressing to see our trees under attack . I remember the Devon countryside with all its Elm trees .  Good on you for trying to help :)

Cheers PS

• Like 4

On 13/04/2022 at 7:04 AM, blackpoolbouncer said:

@e55ex0ldb0y I would usually say no with it not being a gold medal from the rhs but growing the tallest sunflower at school clearly is the peak of horticultural excellence

Clearly a pure example of judging being influenced by which school you went too :)

• Like 2

On 12/04/2022 at 10:50 PM, Gaijin said:

lol I think you’ll find we already have some perennial speeling winners around the place 

Nise to find a plase where bad speelers can meat up

• Like 3

On 12/04/2022 at 10:33 PM, latigid aikon said:

The competitions here are a bit different, one of them has you growing in a pot noodle pot and another one requires a 420 litre pot. There is nothing in between for some reason lol

Welcome to the forum :)

Love the competitions . Going to go for the 420 pot noodle growing award . Going to Waitrose to clear them out of Lobster and Clam pot noodles :)

• Like 2