Cobbing adventues

highgrower

@Chairman O The Bored, No I've never tried any other way other than just chewing it up over a long period before swallowing it. I know that some people when they want a shorter buzz, just chew it up a while and then spite it out. I've read, though I've yet to try it, Cobs make exceptional extractions!

As regards storing it, I tend to keep several small pieces of cob in a small jars for use over the next few weeks. The rest of the original cob is revaced. You can also store them the same as we would store buds. The difference being that they will keep for years and improve!

Edited by Hombre del Monte
  • Like 3

Thanks Bud,

I have one that is about 3 weeks old now and may be nearing long term storage that ill dig out when i get home and post a pic :skin_up:

Edited by Chairman O The Bored
  • Like 3

large.E906EC35-655A-4794-800A-360D28684A04.jpeglarge.E5D4B838-95C6-4523-ACFA-FACC849F9723.jpegMorning high folks - just checked my 2 cobs and I can’t describe the smell other than it’s deffo for me big style (bizarre but when you know………)

I’ve revacced them and  Im putting them in dark storage at 30c ish. Hopefully I’ll forget about them and revisit in a month or two (well that’s the plan but I know already I’ll be nipping some samples to vape pretty soon) :hippy:

• Like 6

I chopped a C99 scrog last thursday and with humidity being so low and temps so high it has dried quite quickly so was down to about 80-85% humidity.

large.sd-day-56.jpglarge.sd-day-57-d.jpg

I had 3 full boxes like the below and decided to experiment with about 1/2 of it.

large.c99-box.jpg

So made up a number of cobs to try different temps and sweat times with and perhaps different fermentation times as well (i may split each one in two after the sweat).

All started life with me measuring up about 25g in a bowl - i tried to remove twigs and leaves

large.cob-bowl.jpg

Cob making machine - just a plastic tube of about 1" diameter and a broom stick with 3" mark from bottom so i could compress the same weight to the same amount/pressure as best i could to keep them all about the same.

large.cob-machine.jpg

Took pics when making and only new see they are all out of focus other than the weights

Cob - check my gallery for the others as they arent the best pics but am using as reference for weight (will add to bag as well just when making the cobs it was easier this way).

large_cob1.jpg

And finally after a couple of hours with very sticky fingers.

large.cobs-.jpglarge.cobs--.jpg

The flash makes them look wetter than they are.

Number 7 is about 1/2 the weight of the others. 

Am just leaving them vacuumed up over night and will start sweating tomorrow.

The plan is:

4 of them at 40C for 4hrs, 8hrs, 12hrs and 24hrs.

2 of them at 60C for 4hrs and 8hrs

1 of them at 70 for 2hrs (no 7)

@Hombre del Monte - how does that sound to you for the different times/temps for sweating as I want to try and get a nice range so i can see how the different variables can effect them.

Edited by highgrower
  • Like 16

@highgrower, That looks and sounds spot on. The range of variables is excellent. I might myself have been tempted to let one of them sit for 48hrs or even longer to get a very dark and stoney one but otherwise I can't think of anything that I would want to do differently.

I'm very impressed that you can grow such density in such a small place and no mould. Excellent growing skills!

• Like 6

Thanks for the posts guys @Hombre del Monte @highgrower you have sent me down the cob rabbit hole and I'm loving it! Got some shiskaberry that will be getting chopped in a week or two I'm definitely going to make a cob and give this a go! 

Following along for the ride :)

Atb

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BasementBudz said:

Thanks for the posts guys @Hombre del Monte @highgrower you have sent me down the cob rabbit hole and I'm loving it! Got some shiskaberry that will be getting chopped in a week or two I'm definitely going to make a cob and give this a go! 

Following along for the ride :)

Atb

It make me very happy to see so many giving it a go. @BasementBudz, Please be aware that this method of curing is a modern take on the old Malawian way of curing their landrace sativas and I have no direct experience of what the change of effects will do for an Indica (I'm very interested to find out though). For me as an out and out sativa grower, it enhances some of the more sativa effects. The high is very different and it is all cerebral and clear. I know people on other forums are doing Indicas and finding that the smoke is much smoother. 

If I want to make my cobs more stoney, I use wetter weed, higher temperatures and sweat and ferment for longer.

• Like 5

No 7 sweat done - sweated for a bit over 2hrs  from 9 to 11.15 at about 65-70C was hard to keep at 70C exactley but think most of the time was above 67C.

large.no7-out-of-sweat.jpglarge.no7-in-bag.jpg

Going to let it sit for about an hour or so before revac and leaving to ferment - still smells very nice and similar to the chopped bud.

large.no7-in-sun-drying.jpg

Edited by highgrower
  • Like 7

@Hombre del Monte

I'll keep you posted and let you know how the indica turns out for me. 

I'm reading about the Malawian techniques now it's super interesting! They say the reason they started cobbing is because it made selling the weed easier as it didn't matter about the quality or if you had different strains or seeds and leaves you can just cob it all together, ferment it and you got yourself some nice skunk a couple weeks later. Genius! (also they were struggling with mould so tried to find better ways of curing the weed and accidentally made it more potent) lol I love that! A beautiful accident 

Have you ever tried some of the Malawi gold? 

Edited by BasementBudz
  • Like 1

In their quest for the perfect cure they discovered curing methods which would actually enhance the product, these discoveries were carefully developed over the ages and the result was the cob and specific curing methods using goats.

The ingenuity is mind blowing, the tribes really tried everything to ensure they were happily stoned and could continue smoking cured Chamba, beneficial to their health for as long as they pleased.

Once there are a few hundred cobs wrapped, they are placed in the sun for a day or 2 and turned so the binding bark begins to dry and tighten even more, the banana bark wrapping also starts to dry out. The cobs are then placed under the goat’s house on a double floor – the floors are bamboo or wood slats. The goats above piss and shit and this fills up the gaps between the cobs on the floor below.

do i need a goat now? lol 

Edited by BasementBudz
  • Like 2

Just checked up on no 7 - its now weighing 15.3g so has lost just under a g so far.

I think a lot of the initial moisture was lost while cooling when it first came out of the bag as it was so hot - also as it has cooled its not smelling as yummy as before and now still smells of the bud just drier. 

Its now feeling a lot drier too and would be safe to start the ferment but will leave it out a bit longer - its a really hot and dry day so not going to leave them out for more than a few hours once their sweats are done.

• Like 4

@BasementBudz, we live in the middle of goat land! The Southern Spanish love goats!. Sometimes the fuckers get onto our terrace below the house and have a good go at my shrubs. My elderly English vegetarian neighbour brigs us homemade goat milk ice cream and it's awesome; in fact she brigs us all sorts of homemade delights!

As regards the Malawi Gold, No, I've never tried it but I have grown Ace's Malawi 3 times but before I got into cobbing. For the last 2 years I've grown Ace's Super Malawi Haze and made very strong cobs. 

Strangely I've not had any cob today but I am vaping some 7month old jar cured Super Malawi Haze and that's not a smoke for the faint hearted or inexperienced sativa smokers.

I've just planted out a Mulanje (malawian) X Malawi/Ethiopian. That will, all being well, all go into making cobs end of November beginning of December. Finger's crossed. 

• Like 4

Just now, highgrower said:

Just checked up on no 7 - its now weighing 15.3g so has lost just under a g so far.

I think a lot of the initial moisture was lost while cooling when it first came out of the bag as it was so hot - also as it has cooled its not smelling as yummy as before and now still smells of the bud just drier. 

Its now feeling a lot drier too and would be safe to start the ferment but will leave it out a bit longer - its a really hot and dry day so not going to leave them out for more than a few hours once their sweats are done.

I really would be tempted to leave it out to dry for at least 24 hrs or even more; IMO, it is really good to slow the ferment right down now that is going. That way you'll get much better colours and a more more terpy smell to the finished product; Unless however, your intention is to make this a stoney one?. #7 is by is nature going in that direction, due to the intensity of the initial sweat, so continuing with more moisture will allow the ferment to continue at a fast rate.

Perhaps an interesting experiment would be to take to identical cobs after the sweat and dry one for only 24hrs but let the other go for say a week before starting the ferment.

2 seasons ago I vacced up some dry (as we thought) colas for some friends as they were returning to the UK for a long time. When we opened them recently we were suppressed to find that what we thought was dry had enough moisture still to ferment.

• Like 5

@Hombre del Monte - Thanks will give them all longer to dry after their sweats - maybe 6hrs?  is very dry and hot weather wise at the moment - maybe a better way is to weigh them up and once 10% weight drop time to seal up?

Trying to keep variables like dryness/compression/initial moisture level the same for this initial experiment - too many changes will make it hard to figure out what did what.

Just checked on the 40C cobs and none look any different to the start so think i may forget about the 4hr one and just do 8, 12, 24 and then extend to 48.

Edited by highgrower
  • Like 4

you should make yourself a nice goat tagine next time they eat your shrubs lol 

I need a neighbour like yours! She sounds like a diamond. Tbh I can't complain as my neighbour is Indian and she sometimes make me curry's :D

The super Malawi haze looks lovely bro good luck with mulanje hope it all goes well for you! Not that you need any luck sounds like you got it all dialled in :bong:

• Like 3