Switching from hps to led

Mabawza

Was wanting to switch over but wanted to know if the running costs are cheaper and which is the best led light to buy? Can’t find anything on this can anybody direct me in this forum ? 

Plenty of led diaries  on here, led's create more usable light per watt than conventional lights,  so yes they can be cheaper to run, much less heat so fans run less too. I switched over, but unfortunately the led's i was using i think were using the wrong spectrum, so went back to conventional lights.

• Like 3

It depends on where you live and how warm/cold your house is.  If you live in a cold area or grow in a garage or shed I'd forget about led due to the cost of heating required. 

My house is well-insulated and rarely cold.  I don't normally have to add heating when lights are on so led's are much cheaper for me to run. 

site sponsor ledgrowlights.co.uk

mystic

Edited by mysticriver
.co.uk
  • Like 2

Working in a shed I find its definitely useful supplementing the led with an hid  to increase leaf temps at this time of year, I dont intend to use the hid in the summer but in the winter/spring now I'm glad i didn't get a bar style light as I'd have to cut it up to fit an hid in there.

• Like 2

My house is freezing, I have to heat with hid or led. I'd never go back to hid now. Leds are amazing. I'll probably give this winter a miss with these electric costs though. 

• Like 6

Led's! Get some. Just ensure to invest a little in a heat mat and tube heater hooked up to an inkbird heat controller. Set the ambient temps a little higher to compensate the lack of heat from the lights, and you're good to go. :yep:

P.S. No high power contact relay needed either. Ever! Always buy one with a dimmer, as they can be too bright.  :guitar:

large.IMG-0239.JPG

• Like 5

I was toying with the idea of getting LED’s.

the way I see it is, the 2 x lights I’d need draw 1000w total (500w each) I’d then need to supplement heat so would be up to 1200w at least. 
My 2x 600 w HID are dimmable and have a 660 setting and cost £60 each. A decent LED (that is actually 600w not 1000 that draws 400)is £3-500 each and it’ll cost me around 100 a month to flower my SOG X2 a year costs around £300 per grow. Meaning your not much better off, I just can’t see it and I don’t think the bud is as good I’ve seen loads of grows with them and they just don’t measure up UNLESS they are drawing the same sort of power.

gravita sent me one of these CMH DE shites and I sent it them back HID outperformed them and they were like £1000 at the time. Put it this way a 1000w HID in a 1m2 space will outperform a “1000w” LED because a 1000 LED is normally about 4-500 w draw in the same space and if I had the room for 2 x 1m2 tents with a 1k HID vs a 1k LED I’d prove it . It’s just another newer tech that costs a bomb for worse results. 
I’ve seen people report terp and colour profiles are better, but I’ve never smoked better than I’ve grown myself. 
As long as your environment is spot on and there is enough light per square foot of the right spectrum (personally I always use duel for veg and flower) you’ll get consistently good results no matter what light you use. It’s all relative, 

Theres a reason why HID are still so widely used and apart form going digi stayed pretty much the same. LED on the other hand are still developing and if it ain’t broke, no need to fix it.

All just my opinion of course:oldtoker:

• Like 1

@greenfingers1987

My 630w led was a bit over £900 and it thrashes my 600w and 400w hid I used before in terms of yield and quality. I was very reluctant to switch as I thought my weed was amazing before and thought it would be a waste but it's the best purchase I've made since I started growing.

Nice to save a bit on electric too :)

• Like 7

Wow 900 for 1 light, I’m sorry but I’d want it to triple the yield and trim and hang the fuckers for that lol

mid I was going full time I’d perhaps consider, but my leccy saving would be nil as it draws 630w apart from needing a smaller extract. HID are perfect for

my needs and as I’ve said the product I get or had should I say is better than anything else I’ve smoked and Not difficult to hit a g per watt even in coco.

so from rhe 630w draw what sort of g per wattage are you getting, how much “thrashing” does the LED actually give the HID?

• Like 1

Duno mate,I think we are dinosaurs thinking like that,I was skeptical as well but seen some crazy results,I won one on cotc and about to use it and am getting 1 x 600w zeus on that probably to see it myself.

Heating is an issue,I usto be unable to grow in summer and now I'll have to catch warmer part of the year and forget growing between November and April,unless I can throw 1 hps on that so it holds Temps,it's yet to be seen tho it's just a plan.

• Like 2

I'm letting the ambient conditions dictate which technology I use. This will be my first year on LED. Currently running cmh until it warms up.

• Like 5