Tall or wide pots?

Kush Lover

Yup those are the ones i had forgot the name. They are so much more substantial than a lot of the others. @BilgePump

@Kush Lover You dont need to clean the pots- its just root mass which is just free food! I dunno i dont use chemical salts tho. I have some where i am on cycle 8 with some pots, and i just pull out rootball and coco (which i reuse), and then refill with medium for next cycle.

Yes you have to water slowly, especiailly  if dry. This is actually good practice tho (although a pain if you are in a rush i will concede!)

Edited by DirtyCola
forgot to tag someone

@MindSoup thanks for sharing that dude, will need to go through it properly later.

I know what you are saying @DirtyCola and mine must be on about the 5th grow and they look like absolute shit to be fair so time for a change and not looking to get more. I will be interested to see if there is a notable difference but in my mind I just keep telling myself I need smaller pots which aren't fabric. 

If I don't already have xx kg of round plastic pots I'd get square ones,normal ones.

For autos I get best results using 20 l round pots filled with about 14L of compost,getting much bigger plants then when am using 12L pots fully filled,duno why but I suspect it's due my poor watering method(I just chug it in).

• Like 1

The round plastic ‘budget root pruning pots’ get a thumbs up from me. Previously used fabric but these are better. Can easily keep an eye on the roots through the holes in the sides and bottom, no issues with damp fabric on colder nights either.

• Like 1

Wide rather than tall. Have you seen the Grassroots Living Soil Pots? I've recently bought a couple, they look good. They are intended for NoTill. They are like fabric pots but they have a non permeable liner, except for the bottom quater which is breathable. This way the bottom of the pot can still breathe and the roots will prune but water retention is much improved as the sides don't dry out and water does not spill out the sides. The bottom stays moist as...well it's at the bottom lol

Edited by QFMAC
  • Like 3

I like square pots, the 3litre ones I use are taller, I dont think it makes any difference as the roots grow the same as in any other pot. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, QFMAC said:

Wide rather than tall. Have you seen the Grassroots Living Soil Pots? I've recently bought a couple, they look good. They are intended for NoTill. They are like fabric pots but they have a non permeable liner, except for the bottom quater which is breathable. This way the bottom of the pot can still breathe and the roots will prune but water retention is much improved as the sides don't dry out and water does not spill out the sides. The bottom stays moist as...well it's at the bottom lol

I achieved this by wrapping cling film around the sides of a fabric pot and left the bottom unwrapped. Was having humidity issues after potting up from a plastic 5l to an 11l fabric pot. It brought the tent humidity down by about 10%. I'll probably return to plastic pots as my environment is very humid. 

• Like 1

Sure I saw a vin on the tube at a farm in cali where they had some huge ass outdoor trees growing.  Those pots, if you can call them a pot were maybe 1-1.5 feet tall, but looked maybe 4-5 foot in diameter.  And they were some dam healthy looking trees :) 

• Like 1

Nice, thanks for your replies and knowledge guys! All food for thought and I am sticking with standard pots for now.