Tall or wide pots?

Kush Lover

Not sure if this is in the correct section but I just wanted to see what peoples thoughts are on pots.

I'm having a bit of a change at the moment as I have been using fabric pots for years but they are becoming a bit of a pain to be honest. In principle they are great but cleaning them after use is a ball ache, not a chance they can go in the washing machine and also 2when you water of you rush it or don't pay attention you can actually lose a fair bit of the water with it exiting the pot halfway down. Quite simply I am just not vibing them anymore!

Looking at new pots and I have seen some made for roses which are deeper than normal and not as wide. The first thought it surely with would reduce evaporation with the smaller surface area but would cannabis benefit from this style of pot or should I stick with the standard style pots.

What do you guys use or recommend?

Edited by Kush Lover
Spelling like a muppet again!

Standard size pots. 

Tall pots are for deep/big rooters like roses.

You could definitely use them though. Potting on would be a bit more of a pain. But any container would do. 

Cannabis isn't massively deep tooted though. I'd rather be wide than tall personally.

• Like 8

Thanks @blackpoolbouncer and noted!

The idea was for final pots as I would be able to fit more in the tent alongside each other. I'm taking from your response that standard is best but there wouldn't be any detrimental effect using the rose ones. Is that fair to say?

• Like 1

I tend to go with pots of equal depth and width.

Sometimes I'll use deeper pots for intermediate pot ons if I feel like it'll work for me , like a 4litre rose pot takes up less floor space than a standard sized 4L and is also just about the right size for potting into 11L fabs.

I just like having plants in matching pots and have like a thousand to choose from so my approach to size and shape can vary depending on how I feel :bag:

Forever "borrowing" used  pots from work because they catch my eye, right now I'm eying up some 7.5 lime green examples we had citrus in 

:yinyang:

• Like 5

I have loads of both lying around as I have a market garden. I agree with @blackpoolbouncer.    Ocasionally though if i have accidently let a seedling or plant stretch, i will do my next pot on into a tall pot, and bury a good portion of the stem. This can negate some of the stretch, and although not as effective as just getting it right from the beginning, once the stem is buried and shielded from light it will start to produce roots.... @Kush Lover

Peace :yinyang:

• Like 4

@BilgePump I was eyeing up the pots in a garden centre at the weekend, way more variety by buying one with plants in it than empty pots off the shelf. Wish I had 1000’s to pick from lol 

@DirtyCola sounds like a good little insurance policy if they do stretch. Looks like I need standard pots!

• Like 2

If you want to be able to put more pots next to eachother, then square pots are great, and can be had in a nice 11ltr size ;)

• Like 2

Buried cannabis stems aren't very efficient stem rooters as a rule , especially if they've gotten woody , unlike peppers and toms which will stem root happily if potted deep.

I have noticed that the Amsterdam Nights and London Gentleman I'm currently running have put out a good deal of stem roots compared to many other strains I've grown (had a good rummage around the pots of the males I've culled) 

• Like 3

Here's an added element to think about...

Round Vs square? 

Personally I think plants stay happier for longer in square pots and are less prone to becoming root bound.

• Like 2

@BilgePump and @Mugwuffin I have been looking at the square pots but the ones I keep finding are more expensive than round ones but is the benefit better. I lie the idea of 11litre pots but I am trying to reduce pot size and increase plant numbers in the long term so maybe some 7 litre square ones would be perfect.

Lookout, here he is @MindSoup the reincarnation of MacGyver lol mate have you seen the price of wellington boots these days? Not a chance in hell I'm getting any kind of soil or plant on the inside of mine, they are my winter sanctuary for my feet lol

• Like 2

@BilgePump This is true- it is sub optimal, but a better solution than staking imo. In this situation I would do my next pot on much earlier than usual.... Sometimes mistakes are made- and a tall pot can be a useful tool

ONce i started using square pots i never looked back. They are superior in MANY ways!!!:skin_up:

• Like 4

Also the square pots with the loops on each corner (for stakes/canes) are the best ones i have found

• Like 2

Just now, DirtyCola said:

Also the square pots with the loops on each corner (for stakes/canes) are the best ones i have found

Those would be the rootnurse+ fabric pots I believe :yep:

They are my go to fabs in 11's and 15's

• Like 1