Grafting one plant to another

Probably a stupid question, so I'll ask it before I think to much about it lol 

What would you gain in doing this? 

Would a grafted female branch grow a different flower than it if hadn't been cut off the original plant? 

If you grafted a male branch onto a female plant, would the different hormones turn that branch into a flowering female branch? 

Ahhh I'm a bit stoned. I'm not even sure I've asked my original question lol 

• Like 2
Just now, Gaijin said:

Probably a stupid question, so I'll ask it before I think to much about it lol 

What would you gain in doing this? 

Would a grafted female branch grow a different flower than it if hadn't been cut off the original plant? 

If you grafted a male branch onto a female plant, would the different hormones turn that branch into a flowering female branch? 

Ahhh I'm a bit stoned. I'm not even sure I've asked my original question lol 

With grafting, multiple strians can be grown on 1 plant,if they have a similar flowering period 

• Like 2

Yes, I'm sure that they could. But why? Why take a branch off of a plant that's already growing, just to attach it to another plant? What's the purpose? You still have the other plant, minus one branch. What's special about putting the branch on another plant? 

Sorry. I don't understand the why :D 

• Like 1

I suppose there's an argument that by doing so you could keep plant numbers down because once the graft has taken you can cull the donor plant. Not sure there's a huge benefit to be had for flowering plants like that but now I think about it there's probably a benefit if you can keep track of branches effectively, perhaps you could have some kind of Frankenmum one plant that hosts numerous cuttings... Hmmm I might have to start a Frankenmum now I think about it lol

Edited by NezA
  • Like 14

Grampa Pump was a pretty good grafter , I vividly remember his apple tree in the garden as a kid , it had something like 7 varieties of apple on it.

I've actually given some thought to this from two angles , one being the frankenmum idea as mentioned above and the other avenue being rootstock grafts.

Obviously for a rootstock you'd want something vigorous , a good doer as gramps would have put it but beyond that who knows? 

What would happen if you graft an auto to an equatorial sativa rootstock or vice versa?

Is it even possible?

You can quite easily pick up grafted toms and peppers these days , heck there's even tomtatoes available!

I imagine autos wouldn't be suitable but does anyone here actually have any first hand experience with trying this yet with any type of cannabis?

:yinyang:

• Like 3

Played around with a multiple strain mother years back and it works.

No benefit to it other than keeping plants numbers down.

Biggest drawback is all your eggs are in one basket.

One plant dies, your whole collection dies

• Like 6
Guest anarchycamp

Check out Lightaddict on IG for his Snoops Nutrient plant he grafted for the brand.

He's also the guy who did the death star plant which is pretty cool. 38z in total( probably shite due to all the stress training it went through

The work around for that @Thai Stick would be to store spare cuts of each cultivar in the fridge as back ups. You just need to remember to bin and refresh them every so often, unrooted snips wouldn't count towards plant numbers I think between the 2 techniques there's a real solution for people who have limited space and any who are worried about numbers. 

I think there's real potential here I'm probably going to give it a go I might even do a write up when I do it

• Like 8